to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Xbox One's trade-in policies "would be easier to understand"

Your comments on our articles.

Manufacturer wants to "bridge" physical and digital

Microsoft's chief marketing and strategy officer Yusuf Mehdi has defended Xbox One's game licensing policies in a rather good interview with Ars Technica, confessing that "consumers don't always love change, and there's a lot of education we have to provide to make sure that people understand."... read more

Postby GoingPostal13 » 12 Jun 2013, 14:34

Yeah, there'd be no used games at all.
GoingPostal13 7

Re: Xbox One's trade-in policies "would be easier to underst

Postby SidTheSloth » 12 Jun 2013, 14:40

Embraced? I guess so, many people will buy it, won't have any issues with it and be happy i expect. People are always fiercely loyal of anything they buy, hence the liars who bought WD: Survival Instinct suggesting it wasn't so bad etc. but if the restrictions don't affect you i imagine the machine itself will be pretty awesome so yeah, it'll be embraced.

Will the move to digital? Not sure, i've long been a fan - i love the fact if i want a game i can log on and buy it - but even the mighty steam which is lauded as the land of value has some eye-wateringly high prices for some of the titles when it's not sale time. Luckily most don't pay those and wait for the deals etc, but no guarantees they'll be forthcoming on the console markets.
(2 + 4 = Fish) / Sloth = Better
SidTheSloth 54

Postby CyberZeroX » 12 Jun 2013, 14:40

GoingPostal13 wrote:Yeah, there'd be no used games at all.

Just like steam.
@Laughing__Man_
CyberZeroX 10

Postby Lulzaroonie » 12 Jun 2013, 14:44

"As you go digital, whats happening is, we're restricting the amount of physical copies so more units are bought more often digitally"
In a nut-shell, they want to restrict as many physical copies as they can, to prevent more people playing the same copy. The less copies available, the more you'll have to pay for digital prices (no competition), and the more you'll have to buy digitally because hard copies will be harder to come by.
Lulzaroonie 1

Postby shiftymorgan » 12 Jun 2013, 14:45

I would love to know how this section of license works :Give your family access to your entire games library anytime, anywhere:

Just something clear cut and no spin
shiftymorgan 44

Postby CunningSmile » 12 Jun 2013, 14:55

shiftymorgan wrote:I would love to know how this section of license works :Give your family access to your entire games library anytime, anywhere:

It's on the MS website. You can have up to 10 people in your 'family' (although they do specify they don't actually need to be family members) who can then access everything in your library at no charge and without needing the discs. My guess would be you get a second friends list, and those ten go there.
"Jar Jar, you're a genius"
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator

Postby s17pur » 12 Jun 2013, 15:01

"Publishers will compensate us for the limitation or curtailing of the power of resale, Medhi went on." If this statement were true, and they could give workable examples, a lot of the rage around DRM could have been avoided. He mentions publishers but what about Microsoft's titles - why not set an example? If you buy Forza 5 physical edition it's say £50 and you can trade it in, but the digital copy is only £30 and can't be traded. Something like that. If the games couldn't be traded but were £20 cheaper than PS4 editions, I'm sure some people would be swayed.
s17pur 20

Postby CunningSmile » 12 Jun 2013, 15:05

s17pur wrote:"Publishers will compensate us for the limitation or curtailing of the power of resale, Medhi went on." If this statement were true, and they could give workable examples, a lot of the rage around DRM could have been avoided. He mentions publishers but what about Microsoft's titles - why not set an example? If you buy Forza 5 physical edition it's say £50 and you can trade it in, but the digital copy is only £30 and can't be traded. Something like that. If the games couldn't be traded but were £20 cheaper than PS4 editions, I'm sure some people would be swayed.

Great idea in theory, and may well be exactly what they have in mind, but since neither MS or Sony have announced RRP game prices yet we have no way of knowing.
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator

Postby FishyGinger » 12 Jun 2013, 15:18

Lulzaroonie wrote:"As you go digital, whats happening is, we're restricting the amount of physical copies so more units are bought more often digitally"
In a nut-shell, they want to restrict as many physical copies as they can, to prevent more people playing the same copy. The less copies available, the more you'll have to pay for digital prices (no competition), and the more you'll have to buy digitally because hard copies will be harder to come by.

If they're too high, they won't sell and the price will come down. Bar the initial release as Sid says steam is much the same. There are still hard copies but not very many. And it's the same with arcade games. They'll always be offers.
2 + 4 = Fish
FishyGinger 70

Postby bobknight1 » 12 Jun 2013, 15:21

CunningSmile wrote:
s17pur wrote:"Publishers will compensate us for the limitation or curtailing of the power of resale, Medhi went on." If this statement were true, and they could give workable examples, a lot of the rage around DRM could have been avoided. He mentions publishers but what about Microsoft's titles - why not set an example? If you buy Forza 5 physical edition it's say £50 and you can trade it in, but the digital copy is only £30 and can't be traded. Something like that. If the games couldn't be traded but were £20 cheaper than PS4 editions, I'm sure some people would be swayed.

Great idea in theory, and may well be exactly what they have in mind, but since neither MS or Sony have announced RRP game prices yet we have no way of knowing.

I thought id seen a quote about it being the publishers who set the RRP as opposed to Microsoft or Sony.
bobknight1 35

Postby CunningSmile » 12 Jun 2013, 15:29

You're probably right, but who ever sets them they tend to more or less follow each other, and no one has said a word yet.

The sheer fact that download games are going to be available day one might end up with s17pur's idea happening just because of market forces. With GoD the games crop up months after release when the publishers have already decided if a game was a success and so they have no real reason to lower the prices to a more reasonable level. If however that digital copy comes out at the same time as the physical copy the publisher wont have to pay the 40ish% that the retailer takes, or the cost of distribution so can charge a lot less and still make a better return than if they charge the same for both and only sell hard copies.

May take a while for the publishers to realise this and market forces to assert themselves but it'll happen sooner or later.
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator

Postby AllusiveTurtle » 12 Jun 2013, 15:47

I said on these same forums a couple of days ago that the inclusion of day one digital releases will see (probably within 2 years) the release of the first AAA title as download only - it will be something big, something by one of the big guns and possibly something that is already part of a franchise. It will happen, and it won't be long before it does. I honestly believe that this will be the last generation of games(?) console that will feature a disc drive for the purpose of playing games or watching films, as it is entirely possible, that by the time of the next consoles release that we will also only be buying our films as digital downloads too.

On the subject of downloads, my understanding was that the European Courts passed a law last year stating that providers of digital content had to facilitate the resale of the content - I wonder how the likes of Micro$oft will approach that?
AllusiveTurtle 44

Postby msbhvn » 12 Jun 2013, 15:54

Didn't MS say that discs and downloads could both be traded? I don't know how download trading would work, maybe a bulletin board type service for people to advertise.

EDIT: Apparently not. Shame.
Last edited by msbhvn on 12 Jun 2013, 15:59, edited 1 time in total.
The new first law of the internet: For every action, there is an irrational and disproportionate social media overreaction.
msbhvn 69

Postby CunningSmile » 12 Jun 2013, 15:54

AllusiveTurtle wrote:On the subject of downloads, my understanding was that the European Courts passed a law last year stating that providers of digital content had to facilitate the resale of the content - I wonder how the likes of Micro$oft will approach that?

Probably the same way most American companies do: They'll ignore it until someone sues them, tie the whole case up in frivolous counter suits until the other side runs out of money, and if it does ever see the inside of a court they'll act surprised that Europe isn't part of Texas :lol:
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator

Postby Chameleon » 12 Jun 2013, 16:13

CunningSmile wrote:
shiftymorgan wrote:I would love to know how this section of license works :Give your family access to your entire games library anytime, anywhere:

It's on the MS website. You can have up to 10 people in your 'family' (although they do specify they don't actually need to be family members) who can then access everything in your library at no charge and without needing the discs. My guess would be you get a second friends list, and those ten go there.

Yes, but the 'clear cut and no spin' version says how a person becomes part of your 'family', and if they can play the same game as you at the same time. Can my mate down the road be in my 'family' if I load his profile on my my and he loads my profile on his box? How does MS know he's not my brother? etc, etc. They can't work off ip addresses because of the number of dynamic ip's out there. Still a few unanswered questions.

10 people also seems extremely generous of a corporation not always know for generosity.

This one needs spelling out in words of two syllables or less.

Edit: Also, the shared Gold with members of your family also needs a clear cut explanation.
Last edited by Chameleon on 12 Jun 2013, 16:40, edited 1 time in total.
Chameleon 44

Next