Don Mattrick "can empathise" with nuclear sub staff

Your comments on our articles.

President of interactive entertainment addresses Xbox One connectivity issues

In an interview with GameTrailers, Microsoft's president of interactive entertainment expressed empathy towards fans on nuclear subs who will be unable to play next gen games.... read more

Don Mattrick "can empathise" with nuclear sub staff

Postby Branhelm » 12 Jun 2013, 17:09

Of course it will effect more. As i have said in a previous post, soldiers take the Xbox 360 on tour because it's a good system. Xbox One may not work for them as a lot of the time they don't have internet. A lot of college/uni kids simply can't afford the internet. This is quite a slice of the market and Microsoft don't seem to be seeing that.

It should be really simple from a marketing point of view. The DRM being forced is making complaints among our fans and potential customers. OR, our customers are happy, no one is complaining that we are not forcing some kind of connection to anything put the power cable.
Branhelm 24

Re: Don Mattrick

Postby vadersmyfather » 12 Jun 2013, 17:18

Branhelm wrote:Of course it will effect more. As i have said in a previous post, soldiers take the Xbox 360 on tour because it's a good system. Xbox One may not work for them as a lot of the time they don't have internet. A lot of college/uni kids simply can't afford the internet. This is quite a slice of the market and Microsoft don't seem to be seeing that.

To be fair I don't think Soldiers represent a significant proportion of the market to concern MS.

I was reliably told that most Halls of Residence now have the internet as standard.

I'm also not convinced that Students can't afford the internet bearing in mind how many I see playing on live now, and the offers that are out there for telephone and internet deals.

In any case, MS aren't pandering to very specific sections of the population.
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
vadersmyfather 50

Postby Branhelm » 12 Jun 2013, 17:37

but it shouldn't be pandering. don't put something in that will lost customers. pandering would be trying to get new customers by doing something stupid, this is keeping customers by not doing something stupid.
Branhelm 24

Postby hazy33 » 12 Jun 2013, 17:55

It's like a murderer empathising with the parents of the person killed.
hazy33 25

Postby msbhvn » 12 Jun 2013, 17:57

hazy33 wrote:It's like a murderer empathising with the parents of the person killed.

Wow. Did you have your brain removed? It's a f***ing games console, for Christ's sake! Stupidest comment I've ever seen.
The new first law of the internet: For every action, there is an irrational and disproportionate social media overreaction.
msbhvn 69

Postby Mudplugger » 12 Jun 2013, 18:26

Pity you didn't include the other quote from that interview in your article.

Don Mattrick wrote:Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity; it’s called Xbox 360

http://m.uk.ign.com/articles/2013/06/12 ... -microsoft

I have to admit it's not the XB1 product itself or it's restrictions that's making me think carefully about a PS4 it the sheer arrogance of Microsoft and their apparent disregard for their customers.

Edit

I take back the dig at OXM the other comment has an article all on its own

http://www.oxm.co.uk/56183/microsoft-do ... -xbox-360/

Doesn't change the fact the Don Mattrick is a...(rhymes with stick).
Last edited by Mudplugger on 12 Jun 2013, 18:48, edited 1 time in total.
Mudplugger 7

Postby PonderingWalrus » 12 Jun 2013, 18:30

Yes Mattrick, make arsey comments, that will improve Xbox One sales. Idiot...
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
PonderingWalrus 42

Postby TheDrisk » 12 Jun 2013, 19:05

Wow the arrogance of this company... It reminds me of Apple when they had the design flaw on iPhone 4 with it killing the signal and their initial response was just don't hold it that way.

The thing I don't get is Microsoft could have achieved the same goal with minimum negativity...

You want DRM.. Then put loads of effort in building a decent digital marketplace like steam with a gameplay video and demo for every game shown and things like Metacritc to make it easier for people to make informed choices. Then add MegaDeals or exclusive content to digital sales and hey presto people have gone to DRM and you don't even have to worry about gifting.. People wont be upset because they chose to do it because something more was offered to them not because some megalomaniac company decides you are going to do it.

You want Internet only Microsoft - You come out with games at first that are Cloud enhanced which can work offline but offers things like much better AI and even graphical effects and suddenly people are all clambering to be online.

Honestly I do wonder at Microsoft and the managers being so arrogant that they just scream just deal with it..its the future you know...even though all they have shown people is what their draconian policies have taken away from consumers and not what it gives them.

As an avid Xbox fan since the orig xbox and 360 Microsofts handling of all this is so disappointing and schoolboy error 101 that I wonder if really they are really working for Sony... Sadly right now it looks I may be switching to Sony.
TheDrisk 1

Postby Crisco » 12 Jun 2013, 19:30

hazy33 wrote:It's like a murderer empathising with the parents of the person killed.

I think it's more like buying a car.
Being good at stuff is overrated. Probably.
Gamertag: Super Crisco
Crisco 48

Postby Bezza89 » 12 Jun 2013, 19:33

Crisco wrote:

I think it's more like buying a car.

I think it's like you're getting your high fiving cat a pedicure.
...and if you tell that to the kids of today, they wont believe you!
Bezza89 69

Postby Stein Cooper » 12 Jun 2013, 21:45

vadersmyfather wrote:
Branhelm wrote:
In any case, MS aren't pandering to very specific sections of the population.

Yes they are, they're pandering to game developers. Developers are complaining that they're not getting a cut of the used game market sales and they want in on that. Instead of offering incentives to buy new, they're punishing those that buy used. Microsoft is directly trying to help them, which in turn, screws over the one group of people that actually matter in all this; Gamers.

Microsoft seems to have forgotten that they're a game company whose only customers are gamers. The developer of a game might buy a copy for themselves, but that's one small group of people. The majority of players aren't going to sit back and accept all these new restrictions that Microsoft is smashing in their faces.
Stein Cooper 1

Postby Crisco » 12 Jun 2013, 21:52

Stein Cooper wrote:Microsoft seems to have forgotten that they're a game company whose only customers are gamers.

That's not exactly true though, is it?
Being good at stuff is overrated. Probably.
Gamertag: Super Crisco
Crisco 48

Postby hazy33 » 13 Jun 2013, 08:49

Crisco wrote:
Stein Cooper wrote:Microsoft seems to have forgotten that they're a game company whose only customers are gamers.

That's not exactly true though, is it?

Yes it is. That's the ONLY reason anyone buys a games console. Once its under the tv that's when they might use Netflix etc but they don't think hmm what can i buy to listen to music and look at cats on YouTube? Oh yeah a 360 is ideal. Doesn't happen.
hazy33 25

Postby hazy33 » 13 Jun 2013, 08:50

msbhvn wrote:

Wow. Did you have your brain removed? It's a f***ing games console, for Christ's sake! Stupidest comment I've ever seen.

It's an analogy (you'll want to Google that). An extreme one I grant you.
hazy33 25

Postby CunningSmile » 13 Jun 2013, 09:33

hazy33 wrote:
Crisco wrote:That's not exactly true though, is it?

Yes it is. That's the ONLY reason anyone buys a games console. Once its under the tv that's when they might use Netflix etc but they don't think hmm what can i buy to listen to music and look at cats on YouTube? Oh yeah a 360 is ideal. Doesn't happen.

No, but apparently they do think "what can I buy to listen to music and look at Youtube?" and then buy this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Apple-launched- ... s=Apple+TV

Or did you miss the part where MS said their competition wasn't just Sony but Apple?
"Jar Jar, you're a genius"
CunningSmile 74
OXM Moderator

Next