to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Xbox One online authentication uses kilobytes of data - Phil

Your comments on our articles.

Checking your console online can be done on a mobile

Speaking to The Telegraph, Microsoft corporate vice-president Phil Harrison has attempted to alleviate concerns regarding Xbox One's online authentication.... read more

Xbox One online authentication uses kilobytes of data - Phil

Postby Hunta1 » 12 Jun 2013, 19:57

Slightly happier, not massively...slightly. Still to expensive though. Sent an email to MS for an explanation. Received the following reply:-

"Thank you for your e-mail concerning about price differences between the US and the UK. I can confirm that the U.S will usually be cheaper owing to the following reasons: U.S resellers, particularly online ones may be able to sell the product at a lower price owing to them taking a reduction in their margins. They can normally do this more than resellers in smaller countries due to the economies of scale of selling to a larger customer base. I should point out at this stage, that as a result of EU regulations we cannot set prices ourselves. Taxation, which can be substantially lower in the U.S than the U.K. Operation costs such as distribution and manufacturing, can be significantly lower in the U.S owing to the same economies of scale as mentioned above. Different Microsoft regional offices can offer promotions and discounts to resellers and consumers that are specific to their own region. Microsoft UK and Microsoft Europe will quite often offer such promotions that are not applicable to our U.S customers. Finally, the differences in price can also vary with the currency exchange rate between the U.S and the U.K."

Don't agree with them necessarily. Going to wait & see what deals are being (game etc) or until it drops in price.
Hunta1 15
 
Posts: 7
Joined: 07 May 2013, 18:27

Re: Xbox One online authentication uses kilobytes of data -

Postby Johnbhoy69 » 12 Jun 2013, 20:42

So what exactly happens if I don't turn my Xbox One on for about a week and don't authenticate via my mobile either?

Will I have to reinstall a game from the disc so Microsoft can see that I still ''own'' it or simply put the disc in the console and let it authenticate that way?
Johnbhoy69 55
 
Posts: 951
Joined: 22 Dec 2011, 20:29
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Xbox One online authentication uses kilobytes of data -

Postby msbhvn » 12 Jun 2013, 20:50

Johnbhoy69 wrote:So what exactly happens if I don't turn my Xbox One on for about a week and don't authenticate via my mobile either?

Will I have to reinstall a game from the disc so Microsoft can see that I still ''own'' it or simply put the disc in the console and let it authenticate that way?


Neither, the game is registered to your profile when it's installed. The once a day check is to stop you from selling the disc and then trying to play the game offline.
The new first law of the internet: For every action, there is an irrational and disproportionate social media overreaction.
User avatar
msbhvn 69
 
Posts: 4401
Joined: 04 Oct 2010, 19:10
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Xbox One online authentication uses kilobytes of data -

Postby Marcissocoolyo » 12 Jun 2013, 20:54

Well, I just tested out this "portable wifi hotspot" feature on my phone, which allows me to do just what was said and I was actually (to my surprise) able to connect to a friends Xbox live party and I was able to hear him very clearly :) I also tried to do a quick multiplayer match on halo 4 but It was unable to find any players, obviously because of the slow connection (as I don't have a 3G signal at my house)... But I suppose that using this will allow for updates and stuff like the authentication thingy to be done for those that have the odd time when their internet is down, but I can't see this being a permanent solution to those that don't have internet...
Marcissocoolyo 17
 
Posts: 16
Joined: 27 May 2013, 18:22
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Xbox One online authentication uses kilobytes of data -

Postby Adam Acuo » 12 Jun 2013, 21:30

Microsoft is just trying to downplay their extremely bad judgment on this whole issue. Essentially, to play a game that I have bought and paid for - I need to tether my phone to their crappy box every 24 hours? What if I take my console to the cottage for the weekend or for the summer? There is absolutely no reason for me as a customer to concern myself with this whatsoever when I have plenty of other alternatives.
Adam Acuo 6
 
Posts: 9
Joined: 27 Apr 2013, 14:34

Re: Xbox One online authentication uses kilobytes of data -

Postby SidTheSloth » 12 Jun 2013, 21:32

This is fine for people with even a little bit of nous, but lots of people are still struggling to even understand what the new measures mean so how on earth are they going to figure this out for themselves? Of course yes, it's entirely feasible, but wasn't the whole point of consoles vs PC's is that you don't have to mess around with shit like this?

I appreciate though really that the guy was just trying to be helpful etc.
(2 + 4 = Fish) / Sloth = Better
User avatar
SidTheSloth 54
 
Posts: 4281
Joined: 14 Sep 2011, 00:59

Re: Xbox One online authentication uses kilobytes of data -

Postby Outofexile » 12 Jun 2013, 21:43

First post

This is a just a question to check on the feasibility of this but could MS come up with a way of sorting out the 24 verification via SmartGlass on a phone or tablet?

Would involve linking your console to your phone/tablet but surely this could be a way round it.
Outofexile 2
 
Posts: 1
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 21:40

Re: Xbox One online authentication uses kilobytes of data -

Postby hazy33 » 12 Jun 2013, 22:55

Or Harrison could just stop f*cking potential customers in the arse.
hazy33 25
 
Posts: 126
Joined: 13 Nov 2012, 01:05
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Xbox One online authentication uses kilobytes of data -

Postby TheImortalChor » 12 Jun 2013, 23:51

Good news! Hopefully people stop clouding their judgement! Its ridiculous how people overlook a console and its innovation! I believe in Microsoft and Playstation!
Conchúr
User avatar
TheImortalChor 28
 
Posts: 17
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 23:45
Location: Ireland

Re: Xbox One online authentication uses kilobytes of data -

Postby CunningSmile » 13 Jun 2013, 00:00

Hunta1 wrote:Slightly happier, not massively...slightly. Still to expensive though. Sent an email to MS for an explanation. Received the following reply:-

"Thank you for your e-mail concerning about price differences between the US and the UK. I can confirm that the U.S will usually be cheaper owing to the following reasons: U.S resellers, particularly online ones may be able to sell the product at a lower price owing to them taking a reduction in their margins. They can normally do this more than resellers in smaller countries due to the economies of scale of selling to a larger customer base. I should point out at this stage, that as a result of EU regulations we cannot set prices ourselves. Taxation, which can be substantially lower in the U.S than the U.K. Operation costs such as distribution and manufacturing, can be significantly lower in the U.S owing to the same economies of scale as mentioned above. Different Microsoft regional offices can offer promotions and discounts to resellers and consumers that are specific to their own region. Microsoft UK and Microsoft Europe will quite often offer such promotions that are not applicable to our U.S customers. Finally, the differences in price can also vary with the currency exchange rate between the U.S and the U.K."

Don't agree with them necessarily. Going to wait & see what deals are being (game etc) or until it drops in price.

Which part don't you agree with? The dozen or so reasons that all play a part or the basic facts of international trade?
"Jar Jar, you're a genius"
User avatar
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator
 
Posts: 11370
Joined: 03 Aug 2009, 15:17
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Xbox One online authentication uses kilobytes of data -

Postby FishyGinger » 13 Jun 2013, 08:55

CunningSmile wrote:
Hunta1 wrote:Slightly happier, not massively...slightly. Still to expensive though. Sent an email to MS for an explanation. Received the following reply:-

"Thank you for your e-mail concerning about price differences between the US and the UK. I can confirm that the U.S will usually be cheaper owing to the following reasons: U.S resellers, particularly online ones may be able to sell the product at a lower price owing to them taking a reduction in their margins. They can normally do this more than resellers in smaller countries due to the economies of scale of selling to a larger customer base. I should point out at this stage, that as a result of EU regulations we cannot set prices ourselves. Taxation, which can be substantially lower in the U.S than the U.K. Operation costs such as distribution and manufacturing, can be significantly lower in the U.S owing to the same economies of scale as mentioned above. Different Microsoft regional offices can offer promotions and discounts to resellers and consumers that are specific to their own region. Microsoft UK and Microsoft Europe will quite often offer such promotions that are not applicable to our U.S customers. Finally, the differences in price can also vary with the currency exchange rate between the U.S and the U.K."

Don't agree with them necessarily. Going to wait & see what deals are being (game etc) or until it drops in price.

Which part don't you agree with? The dozen or so reasons that all play a part or the basic facts of international trade?


I was going to say it all looked fairly reasonable from where I'm sat.
2 + 4 = Fish
User avatar
FishyGinger 70
 
Posts: 4615
Joined: 08 Aug 2012, 13:42
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Xbox One online authentication uses kilobytes of data -

Postby Georgios » 13 Jun 2013, 10:15

What I love about the whole 'always online' argument, is the fact that the people who are bleating about it the loudest probably have 30-100 meg broadband in their normal residences. My heart is definitely warmed by their altruistic feelings towards the five people in Toadsuck, Arkansas, who might occasionally want to virtually shoot each other in the face, instead of doing it in their accustomed 'shit-call-the-cops!' way. Should their ire not be directed at internet providers, who take a fortune from us every month for services that are patchy at best? Get a f**king grip everyone. If you don't get an Xbox One now, you're going to get one next year, when it finally dawns on you that the services available are future-proofed, and services that Sony will never be able to provide for you. Plus, I don't hear any mention of a free eye-toy-two camera with every PS4. Will that make up the £80 price difference, if it's not included? Let's see. Incidentally, I have both current-gen consoles, and will buy both of the new ones. I just hate Sony.
Georgios 1
 
Posts: 2
Joined: 19 Nov 2012, 21:59

Re: Xbox One online authentication uses kilobytes of data -

Postby Lazarus22nd » 13 Jun 2013, 10:18

FishyGinger wrote:
CunningSmile wrote:Slightly happier, not massively...slightly. Still to expensive though. Sent an email to MS for an explanation. Received the following reply:-

"Thank you for your e-mail concerning about price differences between the US and the UK. I can confirm that the U.S will usually be cheaper owing to the following reasons: U.S resellers, particularly online ones may be able to sell the product at a lower price owing to them taking a reduction in their margins. They can normally do this more than resellers in smaller countries due to the economies of scale of selling to a larger customer base. I should point out at this stage, that as a result of EU regulations we cannot set prices ourselves. Taxation, which can be substantially lower in the U.S than the U.K. Operation costs such as distribution and manufacturing, can be significantly lower in the U.S owing to the same economies of scale as mentioned above. Different Microsoft regional offices can offer promotions and discounts to resellers and consumers that are specific to their own region. Microsoft UK and Microsoft Europe will quite often offer such promotions that are not applicable to our U.S customers. Finally, the differences in price can also vary with the currency exchange rate between the U.S and the U.K."

Don't agree with them necessarily. Going to wait & see what deals are being (game etc) or until it drops in price.

Which part don't you agree with? The dozen or so reasons that all play a part or the basic facts of international trade?


It's also worth pointing out there is no standard VAT in the US, it all based on sales taxes which differ from state to state as well so most wont be paying $499 for the box. It must also be noted £429 is about 500EUR and they both equal around the same dollar value, so they aren't "ripping off Britain" at all.

Adam Acuo wrote:Microsoft is just trying to downplay their extremely bad judgment on this whole issue. Essentially, to play a game that I have bought and paid for - I need to tether my phone to their crappy box every 24 hours? What if I take my console to the cottage for the weekend or for the summer? There is absolutely no reason for me as a customer to concern myself with this whatsoever when I have plenty of other alternatives.


Bear in mind you do not OWN that game, you have a license to play it which you are allowed to trade still. The only reason you have to log on is to allow trade ins, they could just say you can be always offline and not be able to trade in and make it exactly like PC gaming. (Tbh I wouldn't mind that)
User avatar
Lazarus22nd 56
 
Posts: 157
Joined: 16 Mar 2011, 00:49
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Xbox One online authentication uses kilobytes of data -

Postby CunningSmile » 13 Jun 2013, 10:19

Georgios wrote:What I love about the whole 'always online' argument, is the fact that the people who are bleating about it the loudest probably have 30-100 meg broadband in their normal residences. My heart is definitely warmed by their altruistic feelings towards the five people in Toadsuck, Arkansas, who might occasionally want to virtually shoot each other in the face, instead of doing it in their accustomed 'shit-call-the-cops!' way. Should their ire not be directed at internet providers, who take a fortune from us every month for services that are patchy at best? Get a f**king grip everyone. If you don't get an Xbox One now, you're going to get one next year, when it finally dawns on you that the services available are future-proofed, and services that Sony will never be able to provide for you. Plus, I don't hear any mention of a free eye-toy-two camera with every PS4. Will that make up the £80 price difference, if it's not included? Let's see. Incidentally, I have both current-gen consoles, and will buy both of the new ones. I just hate Sony.


I like this guy, can I keep him? I promise to feed and walk him? :lol:
"Jar Jar, you're a genius"
User avatar
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator
 
Posts: 11370
Joined: 03 Aug 2009, 15:17
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Xbox One online authentication uses kilobytes of data -

Postby KernowDevil23 » 13 Jun 2013, 10:22

I was thinking the same thing!

Georgie boy, you'll fit in great. Head over to the main forum! :lol:
I don't care if a game is "the same every year." So is pizza. Stop buying the bad pizza. Buy the good pizza.
User avatar
KernowDevil23 56
 
Posts: 2369
Joined: 24 Mar 2010, 21:53

Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 3 guests

The forum teamDelete all forum cookiesAll times are UTC [ DST ]
cron