to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Achievements are changing - Xbox Live to introduce challenge

Your comments on our articles.

"Only games will give you Gamerscore"

The Xbox Live Achievement system is getting a bit of an overhaul for the Xbox One, Microsoft has announced. Achievements now come in different flavours, and can dispense additional rewards and challenges outside of your in-game experiences.... read more

Achievements are changing - Xbox Live to introduce challenge

Postby Waffles2541 » 13 Jun 2013, 09:47

Sounds like the new console is going to be a game onto itself. Challenges seem like a good idea, although I don't think incentives like artwork or videos is a good enough motivation to go for them. Good to see they aren't doing away with the old model entirely, the simplicity is usually the best way to go. Also any word on whether we will be able to transfer our Xbox 360 accounts over to the next gen system, kind of racked up a pretty decent gamer score and I will be damned if I leave it behind.
I had fun once, it was awful.
Waffles2541 39

Re: Achievements are changing - Xbox Live to introduce chall

Postby CunningSmile » 13 Jun 2013, 09:58

Sounds to me like Microsoft have looked at the Rockstar Social Club and decided to steal it. No bad thing as I recently stuck on Red Dead Redemption after a few years and got an Avatar outfit I wasn't expecting.
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby Currambo » 13 Jun 2013, 10:19

Waffles2541 wrote:Sounds like the new console is going to be a game onto itself. Challenges seem like a good idea, although I don't think incentives like artwork or videos is a good enough motivation to go for them. Good to see they aren't doing away with the old model entirely, the simplicity is usually the best way to go. Also any word on whether we will be able to transfer our Xbox 360 accounts over to the next gen system, kind of racked up a pretty decent gamer score and I will be damned if I leave it behind.

Your gamerscore carries over, as said in the FULLLL achievements article here:
http://majornelson.com/2013/06/12/xbox- ... ievements/
Currambo 54

Postby delpoi » 13 Jun 2013, 11:42

Waffles2541 wrote:Sounds like the new console is going to be a game onto itself. Challenges seem like a good idea, although I don't think incentives like artwork or videos is a good enough motivation to go for them. Good to see they aren't doing away with the old model entirely, the simplicity is usually the best way to go. Also any word on whether we will be able to transfer our Xbox 360 accounts over to the next gen system, kind of racked up a pretty decent gamer score and I will be damned if I leave it behind.

Yea you can it was the first question i asked the xbox support guys that and MS points will convert to real money and you carry that over to :mrgreen:
delpoi 38

Postby Mudplugger » 13 Jun 2013, 11:57

Currambo wrote:Your gamerscore carries over, as said in the FULLLL achievements article here:

OK so the Gamerscore carries over but what about the Achievements themselves?
  • Am I still going to be able to review unlocked 360 achievements on the One?
  • Will I be able to switch my profile between my 360 & my One to unlock 360 achievements that I might not already have?
  • Will new achievements unlocked on 360 games played on my 360 also migrate across when I swap back to my One?
Mudplugger 7

Postby CunningSmile » 13 Jun 2013, 12:02

Mudplugger wrote:
Currambo wrote:Your gamerscore carries over, as said in the FULLLL achievements article here:

OK so the Gamerscore carries over but what about the Achievements themselves?
  • Am I still going to be able to review unlocked 360 achievements on the One?
  • Will I be able to switch my profile between my 360 & my One to unlock 360 achievements that I might not already have?
  • Will new achievements unlocked on 360 games played on my 360 also migrate across when I swap back to my One?

They haven't said but I'm guessing yes to all. They have worked quite hard over the last couple of years to link up 360 and Windows Phone achievements on the same profile, so I'd be surprised if they start to divorce everything from each other now.
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby TheImortalChor » 13 Jun 2013, 12:11

Great news! Sounds awesome! Yet again Xbox One shows Innovation
Conchúr
TheImortalChor 28

Postby Vulgar Plebeian » 14 Jun 2013, 00:17

Sounds good. Challenges are like what Mass Effect online used to - maybe still do - offer. 8)
Vulgar Plebeian 47