to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Your Xbox One games library can be shared with non-family me

Your comments on our articles.

Only one user can play at once, however

Remember the bit from Microsoft's game licensing policy doc about being able to share your Xbox One library with up to 10 family members? They won't actually have to be family members, the manufacturer's Phil Spencer has confirmed.... read more

Postby Blastiel » 14 Jun 2013, 12:19

If it works the way we "think" he is saying then they just totally wasted the point of all that DRM in favour of some good PR.

However it is interesting that he makes no mention to being able to included non family members that DON'T actually live with you, logic would dictate it is IP based?
Blastiel 20

Re: Your Xbox One games library can be shared with non-famil

Postby unabatedshagie » 14 Jun 2013, 12:21

This could be a killer feature.

I only hope that if person A buys 10 games and person B buys 10 different games that basically both people will have 20 games to play.

10 people each have 10 different games you basically have a library of 100 games.
unabatedshagie 17

Postby VikingWookiee » 14 Jun 2013, 12:22

Blastiel wrote:If it works the way we "think" he is saying then they just totally wasted the point of all that DRM in favour of some good PR.

However it is interesting that he makes no mention to being able to included non family members that DON'T actually live with you, logic would dictate it is IP based?

I've seen on the Penny Arcade that they could be in different cities which i'd think to say is safe would be different IP's it's more of a gaming "family" the idea has merit but they could just skip daft DRM and leave things as they stand these days with online registrations and all the rest
VikingWookiee 12

Postby unabatedshagie » 14 Jun 2013, 12:24

Blastiel wrote:If it works the way we "think" he is saying then they just totally wasted the point of all that DRM in favour of some good PR.

Can't see that happening.

There will probably be a restriction to the number of times you can change people on the list though.
unabatedshagie 17

Postby CunningSmile » 14 Jun 2013, 12:26

I think thats the point. Everyone has been portraying the 24 Hour check as DRM when in fact it's to allow stuff like this. MS since day one have said they want to allow used games and everyone has ignored them because it doesn't suit the paranoid masses of the internet.

And I don't think tying it to an IP would work since they've made a big thing out of everything being cloud based and you can access it from any console. That wouldn't be possible if it was tied to an IP (besides, worst that happens is I need to log in as my girlfriend once a day at my place so she can access my library at hers)
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby hollywood111 » 14 Jun 2013, 12:27

When is someone from the XBOX world gonna come out & publicly telling MS how much they have f**ked up?.
hollywood111 49

Postby vadersmyfather » 14 Jun 2013, 12:30

hollywood111 wrote:When is someone from the XBOX world gonna come out & publicly telling MS how much they have f**ked up?.

Did you actually read the article?

I cnduo't bvleiee taht I culod aulaclty uesdtannrd waht I was rdnaieg. Unisg the icndeblire pweor of the hmuan mnid it dseno't mttaer the oderr the lterets in a wrod are, the olny irpoamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer are in the rhgit pclae.
vadersmyfather 46

Postby hollywood111 » 14 Jun 2013, 12:36

If this is, was, or might be how it works then why not come out & say that from the start?, If you don't think this
entire XBOX ONE mess hasn't been a complete f**k up you need brain surgery.
hollywood111 49

Postby Chameleon » 14 Jun 2013, 12:48

Edit: Hollywood beat me to it, although I think the surgery comment was a little out of order
MS did f-up the reveal because they got an awful lot of bad press, some of which might have been avoided if they had made this bit clearer.
Last edited by Chameleon on 14 Jun 2013, 12:53, edited 2 times in total.
Chameleon 44

Postby vadersmyfather » 14 Jun 2013, 12:48

hollywood111 wrote:If this is, was, or might be how it works then why not come out & say that from the start?, If you don't think this

I don't think there's much of a debate that they've messed it up, but there's only so many times someone can say the same thing with extra expletives. It would have been better and led to interesting discussion to actually pass comment on the article which details quite a good feature.
Last edited by vadersmyfather on 14 Jun 2013, 12:50, edited 2 times in total.
I cnduo't bvleiee taht I culod aulaclty uesdtannrd waht I was rdnaieg. Unisg the icndeblire pweor of the hmuan mnid it dseno't mttaer the oderr the lterets in a wrod are, the olny irpoamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer are in the rhgit pclae.
vadersmyfather 46

Postby CunningSmile » 14 Jun 2013, 12:49

hollywood111 wrote:If this is, was, or might be how it works then why not come out & say that from the start?, If you don't think this

He never said it hadn't been, just that OXM have done nothing for the last two weeks EXCEPT say that MS have handled it badly. Therefore your previous post was a little pointless.

Probably even more pointless since I doubt MS pay any more attention to members of the press saying this stuff than they do the average internet dweller.
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby squirrelofDoom » 14 Jun 2013, 12:58

Technically, they did come out when they released the policy thing a few weeks back. Except the entire internet focused on the negative, and the policy still obviously needs to be worked on.

Personally, I think this could be killer if used properly. There's no way that it will be a simple as everyone has access whenever, it will restrict to one person at a time using the licence. But, with manufacturing, distribution and retailer costs only getting higher there could be an distinct advantage.

Say I buy a game, install it and my friend then wants to use it at the same time, he could then pay a certain amount, like 60% of RRP straight the publisher because they wouldn't need to pay for the physical costs. We would then technically get 20% saving each. How we sort that out is up to us, but would save a few quid other than both buying a copy. This would effect the retailer for sure, but publishers aren't exactly bothered, as they would love nothing more than banning trade in's. Why not sell it digitally? I hear you cry. Because not everyone has great internet and unlimited data download, so that person could buy the Disc. As for trading it back in, who knows but it would be a great addition.
squirrelofDoom 24

Postby ElCritique » 14 Jun 2013, 13:03

It is not IP based.

"For one, a family member doesn't have to be a "blood relative," he said, eliminating the extremely unlikely possibility that the Xbox One would include a built-in blood testing kit. For another, they don't have to live in the primary owner's houseā€”I could name a friend that lives 3,000 miles away as one of my "family members" Mehdi said."

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/06/m ... -policies/
ElCritique 35

Postby Chameleon » 14 Jun 2013, 13:04

Just looked at the arstechnica atricle linked and saw this:
The only limitation, it seems, is that only one person can be playing the shared copy of a single game at any given time

Would be good if the license terms was up to two simultaneously, but I can see the reasons for not allowing it.

But this is exactly why we need clearer information on things like this.
Great - a week after announcing the 'family' bit they now confirm that friends not living in the same house can be part of your 'family', but why not confirm the damned simultaneous users at the same time FFS!
Chameleon 44

Postby ianrathbone » 14 Jun 2013, 13:05

CunningSmile wrote:
Blastiel wrote:Everyone has been portraying the 24 Hour check as DRM when in fact it's to allow stuff like this. MS since day one have said they want to allow used games and everyone has ignored them because it doesn't suit the paranoid masses of the internet.

You've hit the nail on the head there.

DRM policies of the past have been done really badly, which has caused the angry mob to react like this.
ianrathbone 7

Next