to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Gears of War Xbox One will take

Your comments on our articles.

"I love the Gears franchise, I think Epic's done a really nice job building that."

Microsoft's E3 2013 presser may have been epic, but it wasn't quite Epic - the creators of Gears of War were conspicuous by their absence. Pushed for an explanation, the publisher's Phil Spencer has suggested that the franchise needs to "spend some time" away from the limelight, both for its own good and to make room for new IP.... read more

Postby Thos. » 14 Jun 2013, 14:21

No Halo or GoW at launch, on top of the countless other disadvantages.

No matter how much people say 'the vocal internet isn't the buying masses', negativity trickles down to the public, and there are critical articles about the Xbox One on every newspaper site.

I genuinely think that if both consoles launch this Christmas exactly as they are currently specified, the Xbox One will join the ranks of the Zune and the Microsoft Kin.
Thos. 43

Postby AllusiveTurtle » 14 Jun 2013, 14:25

I don't think it's any secret the JudgEment was a commercial failure. The campaign was pretty good and was probably the most difficult of any of the Gears games (made even more so when the Declassified mission was also implemented). But the online features were not great, the maps far too complicated, and neither Survival nor Overrun were worthy replacements for Horde. I have 56 Long Hauler ribbons on Gears 3 (earned for doing all 50 waves in one sitting, and all mine earned whilst playing on Insane) - I put a fair few hundred hours into the game. But I couldn't muster that enthusiasm for JudgEment, and I think the no-show for the franchise is in someway acknowledgement that it didn't perform too well. I don't think we'll have to wait too long before seeing another Gears game 2014/15 - and I'll put money on it that it will also herald the return of Horde!
AllusiveTurtle 44

Re: Gears of War Xbox One will take

Postby AzzyCLB » 14 Jun 2013, 14:34

Could really of done without Judgement to be honest.

Hopefully Epic are working on a new game themselves (Hopefully not Gears Kinnect).
AzzyCLB 12

Postby Johnbhoy69 » 14 Jun 2013, 14:49

After the dire GOW3 with so many unanswered questions and plot holes I had no interest in Judgement at all.
Johnbhoy69 51

Postby Grummy » 14 Jun 2013, 14:50

Thos. wrote:No Halo or GoW at launch, on top of the countless other disadvantages.

No matter how much people say 'the vocal internet isn't the buying masses', negativity trickles down to the public, and there are critical articles about the Xbox One on every newspaper site.

I genuinely think that if both consoles launch this Christmas exactly as they are currently specified, the Xbox One will join the ranks of the Zune and the Microsoft Kin.

No, it really won't, and you have nothing to base that suggestion on, right now it's just a number of gamers who are pissed off, but it's not as large a number as people suggest. No doubt, for pure gamers, the PS4 is looking to be the preferred option, but it's not an absolute triumph, just a more favourable split. However Microsoft aren't just marketing the One as a console, it's marketed as a multimedia machine that is very family friendly. The masses who aren't just gamers, or are casual gamers, people, in short, who aren't people who pay attention to E3, frequent OXM, or other gaming specific websites on a regular basis, people who will only look at the consoles for what they offer them, for those people, the One isn't a bad choice. The 'masses' aren't directly affected by the ongoings around the games industry, this stuff doesn't really trickle that far down because all they really see is games and highlights of the positives, the selling points, then they go and inquire at Game or Currys and all they care about is sales, so which console a person hypothetically buys from them, if they base the choice on the 'advice' from the staff would be dependent on what kind of sales push the company wants to see, for example, if they have left over PS4 pre-orders, they will push those even if people walk in inquiring about the One. The masses get their information from stores who want them to buy a console there and then.

If anything does, it will be the significantly higher price point that hurts the Ones sales, but that too is predicated on pure gaming purposes, the One offers a broader spectrum that could be far more appealing to many and will more than make up for the higher cost.

The lack of Halo an GoW on release will mean very little over all. There won't be that many Halo/GoW fans who will choose to get a PS4 (with games they may very well have never played) just because those 2 franchises aren't immediately available. You take those away and they would be faced with the choice of 2 machines with games they're not familiar with, except one of them will still offer them their favourites down the line, what then would be the reason for them to not get the One? Before you mention all the DRM bs, if that was a consideration, the decision would already be made and the question of Halo or not would be irrelevant.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 64
OXM Moderator

Postby AllusiveTurtle » 14 Jun 2013, 15:19

Grummy wrote:...people, in short...

Perhaps you have hit on the reason I am having doubts about the One... for I am 6'4"...! :lol:
AllusiveTurtle 44

Postby vadersmyfather » 14 Jun 2013, 15:20

Grummy wrote:No doubt, for pure gamers, the PS4 is looking to be the preferred option, but it's not an absolute triumph, just a more favourable split.

Seems to me Sony are 'triumphing' not on the basis of what they're doing, but what MS are doing. Which isn't something for Sony to boast about really.
I cnduo't bvleiee taht I culod aulaclty uesdtannrd waht I was rdnaieg. Unisg the icndeblire pweor of the hmuan mnid it dseno't mttaer the oderr the lterets in a wrod are, the olny irpoamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer are in the rhgit pclae.
vadersmyfather 46

Postby vadersmyfather » 14 Jun 2013, 15:21

Grummy wrote:the One offers a broader spectrum that could be far more appealing to many and will more than make up for the higher cost.

I think you could be right. The XBO offers gaming and much more, the PS4 offers just gaming.
I cnduo't bvleiee taht I culod aulaclty uesdtannrd waht I was rdnaieg. Unisg the icndeblire pweor of the hmuan mnid it dseno't mttaer the oderr the lterets in a wrod are, the olny irpoamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer are in the rhgit pclae.
vadersmyfather 46

Postby fracturedrich » 14 Jun 2013, 15:34

I have 56 Long Hauler ribbons on Gears 3 (earned for doing all 50 waves in one sitting, and all mine earned whilst playing on Insane) - I put a fair few hundred hours into the game.[quote]
Turtle you are a true cog,i put more hours into the first two myself but still play gears 3 and judgement,i like them all but think the first two are way better.The franchise needs a break but people still play all four of the gears games and will continue to do so until the servers are switched off and even then there will be a lot of people moaning.They need not mention gears and kinect in the same sentence ever again for fear of my brain exploding into a mass chainsaw duel with itself.I have never never lost a chainsaw duel by the way turtle :wink: I forgot,i really like dead island mate,your conscience is cleared.
fracturedrich 46

Postby Grummy » 14 Jun 2013, 17:36

AllusiveTurtle wrote:
Grummy wrote:...people, in short...

Perhaps you have hit on the reason I am having doubts about the One... for I am 6'4"...! :lol:

:lol:
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 64
OXM Moderator

Postby techn0t0ne » 14 Jun 2013, 17:39

Personally i dont they should have even bothered with judgment at all on the 360 and just spent the extra time and money on developing it for the xbox one instead.

You simply couldnt follow up with another next gen gears after judgment...realistically i wouldnt count on even getting a sniff of seeing anything resembling a new gears.

Again they should have held back with judgment...if they can get away with chucking out another forza as a launch title could you imagine how well judgment would have been received if it was a xbox one exclusive launch title? Im sure as shit it would have sold more and just generally accepted more that it had been.

Oh and btw...the original gears of war on insane was as hard as gears got...perhaps just my personal opinion but there was nothing perticularly hard about any of the games that were to follow.

:wink:
techn0t0ne 17

Postby fracturedrich » 14 Jun 2013, 17:45

Yes the first gears on insane is as hard as they come.
fracturedrich 46

Postby AllusiveTurtle » 14 Jun 2013, 17:52

fracturedrich wrote:by the way turtle :wink: I forgot,i really like dead island mate,your conscience is cleared.

Good to know! :wink:
AllusiveTurtle 44

Postby OXM Jonty » 14 Jun 2013, 18:12

I think Judgment did about as well as could have been expected. It came out in the first half of the year, in a time of declining game sales, with almost no marketing or advertising - certainly not compared to the parade they put on for the numbered Gears titles. Microsoft would have been mad to expect big sales and I don't think it did.
Editor

Email: jon.hicks@futurenet.com
Xbox Live: OXM Jonty
OXM Jonty
OXM Staff

Postby Wadium_Arcadium » 14 Jun 2013, 19:37

Judgement (grr) actually put me off the series. I was a big fan up to that point. I got my wings on Gears 2 and had 'prestiged' a few times on Gears 3, but Judgement was such a massive disappointment. The single player was the worst of the series with no mention of a story or banter between characters, and the multiplayer missed the spirit of the original trilogy. Being able to get into a Raven and mow people down in multiplayer!? I think they forgot they weren't making COD.

If a new Gears was announced, it wouldn't increase my interest all that much, but I still think Gears would make a good strategy game a la Halo Wars.
"The lord of silver fountains, the king of carven stone. The king beneath the mountain shall come into his own. And the bell shall ring in gladness at the mountain king's return, but all shall fail in sadness, and the lake will shine and burn."
Wadium_Arcadium 38

Next