to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

The Elder Scrolls Online: 11 things you need to know

Your comments on our articles.

What's all this Fus Roh Dah about then?

After almost twenty years of wandering the hills and vales of Tamriel alone, you'll finally be able to assemble a crack team of dungeon crawlers and cheese wheel collectors to adventure together in The Elder Scrolls Online when it launches on the Xbox One in Spring 2014.... read more

The Elder Scrolls Online: 11 things you need to know

Postby bobknight1 » 15 Jun 2013, 11:00

is it subscription based?
bobknight1 30

Re: The Elder Scrolls Online: 11 things you need to know

Postby battfink83 » 15 Jun 2013, 11:10

bobknight1 wrote:is it subscription based?

i seriously doubt it, it sounds more of a sort of co op skyrim experience, rather than a true MMO.
battfink83 47

Postby HooksaN » 15 Jun 2013, 11:19

@bobknight - doubt it (and I hope not) it seems to me that mmos are moving away from subscriptions and instead making money from inital game sales, microtransactions (buffs and equipment) and regular optional dlc. I think Defiance will be the benchmark for MMO charges on consoles.

I think this looks amazing, and im glad they aren't going full WoW-style MMO with it. I personally want the Skyrim experience that I can play in a group. If there are loads of other players running about at the same time, all the better.

Does anyone know what platforms its going to be released on? The problem with these new mmo-style online games is going to be having friends playing it, but on different platforms (esp when so many seem to be both 360 and Xbox One)
HooksaN 12

Postby bobknight1 » 15 Jun 2013, 11:36

HooksaN wrote:@bobknight - doubt it (and I hope not) it seems to me that mmos are moving away from subscriptions and instead making money from inital game sales, microtransactions (buffs and equipment) and regular optional dlc. I think Defiance will be the benchmark for MMO charges on consoles.

I think this looks amazing, and im glad they aren't going full WoW-style MMO with it. I personally want the Skyrim experience that I can play in a group. If there are loads of other players running about at the same time, all the better.

Does anyone know what platforms its going to be released on? The problem with these new mmo-style online games is going to be having friends playing it, but on different platforms (esp when so many seem to be both 360 and Xbox One)

These are the types of games that could really benefit from cross play between One and 360. All pc MMO's allow you to play together regardless of system specs.
bobknight1 30

Postby Grummy » 15 Jun 2013, 12:19

I expect you'll pay the initial game fee then it's free-to-play, similar to how Defiance works, then there will be microtransactions within the game to provide income to the developers.

I expect this to be the case because WoW still has a monthly fee and trying to get people to change from that a different pay-per-month subscription high fantasy MMO will be extremely difficult, but a free to play one? That will have more people trying it out.

I'm not sure this will have long term appeal though. I'm certainly willing to try it, but I can't see it being that popular long term because it seems to have fairly weak end game content.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 64
OXM Moderator

Postby Insaneyokel » 15 Jun 2013, 13:05

I am really looking forward to this , hopefully it will not have too many bugs
Twitter: @RMRedmanAuthor
Gamertag: RONA79
Insaneyokel 47

Postby stryder84 » 15 Jun 2013, 16:46

note to all they have stated (note this was a long time ago whether they changed their mind since then i dont know) "it will be subscription based TO BEGIN WITH then make the transition to free-to-play" and they also said in some respect that they will avoid the Swtor f2p model (which if you dont know about then lucky you) at all costs
AK-47? nah 2 swords and shout will do me
stryder84 29

Postby bobknight1 » 15 Jun 2013, 16:55

stryder84 wrote:note to all they have stated (note this was a long time ago whether they changed their mind since then i dont know) "it will be subscription based TO BEGIN WITH then make the transition to free-to-play" and they also said in some respect that they will avoid the Swtor f2p model (which if you dont know about then lucky you) at all costs

If that is the case then ill wait untill it goes free to play.
bobknight1 30

Postby Metalrodent » 17 Jun 2013, 11:15

One thing about those images is that its great to see that clothes, faces and hair now look realistic - rather than the playdough effect the recent TES (and Fallouts) games have had.

Hopfully it will also be possible to create actual unique looking characters, rather than a meagre choice of stock faces
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 67

Postby Enodoc » 22 Jun 2013, 23:31

I've been following this from its announcement last year, so hopefully can answer some of these questions.

First of all, for the record, they have not officially stated a business model yet: http://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/ ... ss%20model
Personally, I hope for buy-to-play, where you pay for the disc and then can play freely.

The available platforms will be PC, Mac, Xbox One and PS4. PC and Mac can play together, Xbox One and PS4 each have their own servers. (I would hope they may change this to being a Xbone/PS4 combined server, but there's probably too may logistical issues with that.)

I'm sure they have also said, although I can't remember where, that there will be large-group end-game PvE content, they just aren't in the style of traditional raids. They will be "Adventure Zones", but the devs haven't yet decided how much, if at all, they will be instanced, or what size groups you will be able to form to tackle them. Adventure Zones will be the subject of periodic releases after launch, and may not be in at launch.

Also not in at launch are the Thieves' Guild and the Dark Brotherhood. Hopefully they will turn up later.

Tamriel Foundry's FAQ and the Official ESO Support Site have more details.
Enodoc 23