to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Microsoft: Xbox Live bans won't lock your Xbox One games

Your comments on our articles.

And Xbox One games will be playable long term, despite connection requirements

There was a bit of a kerfuffle on Twitter over the weekend. Actually, there's never not a kerfuffle going on over on Twitter, so I'd better narrow that down. The issue in question involved Xbox Live bans on the new Xbox One console, and whether a ban would mean that a player would be locked out of their online games collection.... read more

Microsoft: Xbox Live bans won't lock your Xbox One games

Postby bobknight1 » 17 Jun 2013, 10:20

As tempting as it might be to take away their toys when they've miss behaved, just giving them a temporary ban on the mulitplayer element should be enough. Although that does depend on what they've done.
bobknight1 35

Re: Microsoft: Xbox Live bans won't lock your Xbox One games

Postby AllusiveTurtle » 17 Jun 2013, 10:36

I quite like the sound of the Reputation system that has been muted, and as I never speak to people that I might happen to play with, but do not know, I shouldn't be getting marked down for 'trash-talk' yet I have! On the current system, I obviously received some negative feedback for the way I speak to people online - which is pretty amazing seems as I never speak to people that I do not know! Also, I appear to have been accused of aggressive play, which again is amazing, since when I do play online (which is extremely rare), I only ever play shooters, where I always thought the idea was to play in an aggressive manner. My point in making this comment is that it just goes to show that there are people out there can that react badly to the play styles of other people - so, I really hope that there are some systems in place to ensure that you don't receive unwarranted feedback.

On another note (and off topic), Aoife, have you seen that the price of the One's game have been announced? Apparently they are to remain the same at $59.99 in the US which equates to around £38.20 here (which I assume will increase - because that would be less than the current RRP for games in the UK).
AllusiveTurtle 44

Postby vadersmyfather » 17 Jun 2013, 10:39

AllusiveTurtle wrote:I quite like the sound of the Reputation system that has been muted

I've never really understood the 360 reputation system or indeed the zones ie Recreational etc. Never seemed to make any difference at all.
I cnduo't bvleiee taht I culod aulaclty uesdtannrd waht I was rdnaieg. Unisg the icndeblire pweor of the hmuan mnid it dseno't mttaer the oderr the lterets in a wrod are, the olny irpoamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer are in the rhgit pclae.
vadersmyfather 48

Postby OXM Aoife » 17 Jun 2013, 10:46

AllusiveTurtle wrote:On another note (and off topic), Aoife, have you seen that the price of the One's game have been announced? Apparently they are to remain the same at $59.99 in the US which equates to around £38.20 here (which I assume will increase - because that would be less than the current RRP for games in the UK).

I believe Ed is writing this up as we speak!
OXM Aoife
OXM Staff

Postby 360365 » 17 Jun 2013, 10:59

OXM Aoife wrote:
AllusiveTurtle wrote:On another note (and off topic), Aoife, have you seen that the price of the One's game have been announced? Apparently they are to remain the same at $59.99 in the US which equates to around £38.20 here (which I assume will increase - because that would be less than the current RRP for games in the UK).

I believe Ed is writing this up as we speak!

Game and Amazon are advertising X1 games at £54.99
360365 34

Postby scorcher117 » 17 Jun 2013, 12:45

This is pretty stupid I feel that if you have been banned you deserve to lose your games, people don't just get banned for a couple swears in your bio that'll just get you a 48hour suspension. Bans are for serious things so yeh I think you deserve to lose it.
scorcher117 14

Postby Bugsquat » 17 Jun 2013, 15:02

They bang on about 'future-proofing' the console, but when pressed, deflect questions about, well, the future of the console. To my mind, that doesn't bode well...
The way of life is the posture of a tree; rigid trunk for structured and directed childhood, followed by open branches - life choices. Some branches take one higher than others, and some split many times. But never forget...Every branch bears a leaf.
Bugsquat 31

Postby CunningSmile » 17 Jun 2013, 15:09

Bugsquat wrote:They bang on about 'future-proofing' the console, but when pressed, deflect questions about, well, the future of the console. To my mind, that doesn't bode well...

The future is a good ten years away so they probably haven't thought about it yet since the tech available then will completely change what ever plan they put in place. They'd look like idiots if they turned around and said "Yes we will send out a patch that allows it to function offline after we've finished," only to find by the time it comes to it the entire gaming industry has gone digital anyway and no one cares if their console works or not and the whole thing becomes a non-issue. Some paranoid mook on the internet would inevitably dredge that quote up and beat MS with it, even if they were one of the ones who doesn't care either way purely because that's what internet Trollz are like.
"Jar Jar, you're a genius"
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator

Postby vadersmyfather » 17 Jun 2013, 15:12

CunningSmile wrote:
Bugsquat wrote:They bang on about 'future-proofing' the console, but when pressed, deflect questions about, well, the future of the console. To my mind, that doesn't bode well...

The future is a good ten years away so they probably haven't thought about it yet since the tech available then will completely change what ever plan they put in place. They'd look like idiots if they turned around and said "Yes we will send out a patch that allows it to function offline after we've finished," only to find by the time it comes to it the entire gaming industry has gone digital anyway and no one cares if their console works or not and the whole thing becomes a non-issue. Some paranoid mook on the internet would inevitably dredge that quote up and beat MS with it, even if they were one of the ones who doesn't care either way purely because that's what internet Trollz are like.

Good to get that off your chest?
I cnduo't bvleiee taht I culod aulaclty uesdtannrd waht I was rdnaieg. Unisg the icndeblire pweor of the hmuan mnid it dseno't mttaer the oderr the lterets in a wrod are, the olny irpoamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer are in the rhgit pclae.
vadersmyfather 48

Postby CunningSmile » 17 Jun 2013, 15:15

You bet :lol:
"Jar Jar, you're a genius"
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator

Postby Bugsquat » 17 Jun 2013, 15:37

But I do/will care if my console works. I know I sound a bit petulant here but I do care about the future of my stuff. I'll probably keep hold of my 360 for as long as it'll continue to work, which could be decades from now, just as I'll keep hold of a DVD player for my DVDs. Hell, my Dad still has every record he ever bought, and a turntable to play them on, even though music is currently in the process of transcending formats and becoming all digital. Granted, he rarely plays them, but the player is always out and plugged in, so he knows that he can if he wants to. People want to hold on to things that are meaningful to them, and I believe that video games are no exception. I want to know that the console will work until it can't work n'more, not until the makers have given up on it.
The way of life is the posture of a tree; rigid trunk for structured and directed childhood, followed by open branches - life choices. Some branches take one higher than others, and some split many times. But never forget...Every branch bears a leaf.
Bugsquat 31

Postby FishyGinger » 17 Jun 2013, 15:58

If I were a betting man, I'd bet Rodents vital organs on the console after the One being able to run the Ones games based on your library being attached to your account and that being all floaty in the clouds and whatnot a la steam. And I think this comes into their future proofing otherwise you'd need to set up a different account each time.
2 + 4 = Fish
FishyGinger 70

Postby Metalrodent » 17 Jun 2013, 16:02

I was wondering where my spleen got to
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 71

Postby FishyGinger » 17 Jun 2013, 16:03

Younger organs untainted by age fetch a higher price, see.
2 + 4 = Fish
FishyGinger 70