to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Xbox One games will cost $59.99, Microsoft confirms

Your comments on our articles.

Next gen leap doesn't apply to game prices, it seems

Amazon's decision to sell Xbox One games for £90 is not, thankfully, reflective of official Microsoft pricing. Speaking to Kotaku, the manufacturer has confirmed that it'll stick to the same old RRP of $59.99 for first party releases, with pricepoints for non-US territories to follow.... read more

Postby AllusiveTurtle » 17 Jun 2013, 11:01

This is good news, and to be honest a bit of a surprise (meaning I might have to eat a bit of humble pie as I predicted that prices would increase! :oops:). Ever the pessimist, I'm looking forward to confirmation of the pricing strategies for the UK though - as until we see that, things could still change!
AllusiveTurtle 44

Postby Metalrodent » 17 Jun 2013, 11:04

well, at least I'll be able to afford games, won't be able to afford the console but at least I can start stocking up :lol:

on a side note, is that Dead Rising cover not one of the most terrible looking things ever?
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 67

Postby 360365 » 17 Jun 2013, 11:04

Game and Amazon are currenty advertising X1 games at £54.99. Will this price stand do you think?
360365 33

Re: Xbox One games will cost $59.99, Microsoft confirms

Postby OXM ETboy » 17 Jun 2013, 11:05

360365 wrote:Game and Amazon are currenty advertising X1 games at £54.99. Will this price stand do you think?

Seems possible. I'll add that to the story.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby Maximus T » 17 Jun 2013, 11:11

I'm warming towards the ONE now, with similar pricing that isn't an issue for me, but I will not be buying the console itself for a while, as long as my 360 holds out. As for the free games thing, I got Fable 3 and there was info saying there would be more free games coming, so in the article, is it saying about free games for the 360, the ONE, or both?
#browns
Maximus T 62

Postby s17pur » 17 Jun 2013, 11:19

I don't recall ever paying £54.99 for a 360 game though, so if these prices don't come down, it does seem as though the games will be setting us back a little more for the time being at least.
s17pur 19

Postby azz72 » 17 Jun 2013, 11:21

ShopTo are pricing at under £50
azz72 48

Postby Br00kerT » 17 Jun 2013, 11:22

Key point about Amazon and GAME!

They always put a high price for game pre-orders before prices are announced. They do this for everything, including the Xbox One console, which was around £600 ( same as PS4 ) for ages. Its because when you Pre-order, you are guaranteed the lowest price possible, so by putting it deliberately high, it makes the system work easier, they ultimately have to notify you less. Because if a product goes up in price, after the actual cost is announce, then they have to get you to re-affirm the pre order!

This is easy to confirm, as D4 (an episodic title) and Below (and indie title) are both listed for retail release at the same price £54.99. The likelihood of either of the games costing £54.99 is extremely low!

All games definitely won't cost the same as well! For example GTA V will cost around £40 at launch because its a triple A massive game from an established studio, whereas Remember Me Retailed for around £32 at launch, smaller studio and original IP.

Hope that all helps!
Br00kerT 16

Postby 360365 » 17 Jun 2013, 11:30

azz72 wrote:ShopTo are pricing at under £50

Just had a look at that, Thats looking more promising.
360365 33

Postby AllusiveTurtle » 17 Jun 2013, 11:32

AllusiveTurtle wrote:This is good news, and to be honest a bit of a surprise (meaning I might have to eat a bit of humble pie as I predicted that prices would increase! :oops:). Ever the pessimist, I'm looking forward to confirmation of the pricing strategies for the UK though - as until we see that, things could still change!

Ah! Feeling better about my predictions now - I stated previously that I expected to pay around £50 a game with the RRP being set at £59.99. I rarely pay above £35 for a 360 game upon release, even though the RRP is usually £49.99. Of course, when you buy as many games as I do (probably about 50 games a year) that extra £15-£20 will make a sizable difference! :shock:
AllusiveTurtle 44

Postby 360365 » 17 Jun 2013, 11:32

Br00kerT wrote:Key point about Amazon and GAME!

They always put a high price for game pre-orders before prices are announced. They do this for everything, including the Xbox One console, which was around £600 ( same as PS4 ) for ages. Its because when you Pre-order, you are guaranteed the lowest price possible, so by putting it deliberately high, it makes the system work easier, they ultimately have to notify you less. Because if a product goes up in price, after the actual cost is announce, then they have to get you to re-affirm the pre order!

This is easy to confirm, as D4 (an episodic title) and Below (and indie title) are both listed for retail release at the same price £54.99. The likelihood of either of the games costing £54.99 is extremely low!

All games definitely won't cost the same as well! For example GTA V will cost around £40 at launch because its a triple A massive game from an established studio, whereas Remember Me Retailed for around £32 at launch, smaller studio and original IP.
Panic attack over, thanks
Hope that all helps!
360365 33

Postby sneakerphile » 17 Jun 2013, 11:38

This is what pisses me off about the whole trade in thing. I can rarely afford a brand new game, and when I do it's because I've saved up for it. Otherwise I rent games of buy second hand. How the hell am I gonna afford £55 a game?
As for the cost of the console, just do the sensible thing and wait about 6 to 8 months for the price to drop.
Anyone who pays through the nose for a console on day of release is a fool, and is easily parted from their money.
On top of it all, MS has more money than god, so I think they are being greedy bastards. If you drop the price more people will be able to afford your products and thus you will sell more units and make more money. Make sense!
It was a bad call Ripley, it was a bad call.
sneakerphile 14

Postby AllusiveTurtle » 17 Jun 2013, 11:45

Hi Edwin, sorry for posting off topic (again!) but have you also seen that there appears to be some movement/comment from Microsoft regarding what will happen to games once the servers have been shut down? According to Digital Spy, Major Nelson has hinted that games will remain playable after the servers are shut down, which is something that has raised concerns on these forums. It seems that gradually the good news is starting to slowly filter out from Microsoft HQ, if we can get this damn issue regarding two people playing the same game at the same time from one persons library clarrified, then the fog of confusion may finally start to clear!
AllusiveTurtle 44

Postby vadersmyfather » 17 Jun 2013, 11:53

sneakerphile wrote:As for the cost of the console, just do the sensible thing and wait about 6 to 8 months for the price to drop.Anyone who pays through the nose for a console on day of release is a fool, and is easily parted from their money.

I'm sure there are people who might say that if you wait 6 months you're a fool because after 12 months it will be cheaper still. Obviously it's only going to get cheaper as time wears on, the same as cars, TVs or clothes. If you can't afford it at launch then fine, but people aren't fools because they can.
I cnduo't bvleiee taht I culod aulaclty uesdtannrd waht I was rdnaieg. Unisg the icndeblire pweor of the hmuan mnid it dseno't mttaer the oderr the lterets in a wrod are, the olny irpoamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer are in the rhgit pclae.
vadersmyfather 46

Postby CunningSmile » 17 Jun 2013, 12:04

s17pur wrote:I don't recall ever paying £54.99 for a 360 game though, so if these prices don't come down, it does seem as though the games will be setting us back a little more for the time being at least.

Game charged that much when the 360 first launched, but as soon as enough users have a certain console the price comes down because they can order in bulk.

Don't forget as well that with the One for the first time the game will be downloadable on launch day. It won't be straight away because these things never are but it won't take long for publishers to realise selling the download at £30 will still give them a greater return than the retail copy at £50, since half that price won't be going to the retailer and the haulage company that delivers the physical copies.
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Next