to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Seven reasons to buy an Xbox One

Your comments on our articles.

How you'll benefit from jumping in

It is with not-inconsiderable trepidation that I begin writing this feature. Microsoft's E3 presser and next generation console reveal have not, it's safe to say, earned the manufacturer many friends. Still, to drop a probably ill-advised technological pun, every dark cloud has a silver lining.... read more

Postby ewingmick1 » 17 Jun 2013, 13:46

Dosent seem that bad after all I suppose.
ewingmick1 13

Postby Danny Carreer » 17 Jun 2013, 13:47

You know you're desperate when you put "got the best games" and use examples of just continuations of already existing franchises and using no originality. No wonder PS4 is winning hands down, fair enough they may be doing the same with some games but at least they're cheaper and don't scruitinise the players.
Danny Carreer 1

Postby ABitOfACock » 17 Jun 2013, 13:50

*tars and feathers you*...

enough said...
ABitOfACock 21

Re: Seven reasons to buy an Xbox One

Postby vadersmyfather » 17 Jun 2013, 13:52

Interesting article.

Bearing in mind that people reading this will be making a decision between consoles I think it would have been better to have drawn some comparisons. I understand that for editorial reasons this may be difficult to do though.
I cnduo't bvleiee taht I culod aulaclty uesdtannrd waht I was rdnaieg. Unisg the icndeblire pweor of the hmuan mnid it dseno't mttaer the oderr the lterets in a wrod are, the olny irpoamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer are in the rhgit pclae.
vadersmyfather 46

Postby OXM ETboy » 17 Jun 2013, 13:56

Yeah, our license agreement with Microsoft doesn't really allow extensive editorial on the subject of rival products.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby Tom Friedlander » 17 Jun 2013, 13:57

Regarding the whole SmartGlass thing, nobody asked for it and nobody wants it. Most gamers feel as thought it is useless and awkward having to switch between looking at a game on a T.V. to a small phone screen awkwardly propped up against the arm rest of your sofa (Cough *Battlefield* cough). Not everybody is rich and can afford smart phones as well. The most frustrating part about it is that it's completely pointless as the things it does could be easily included on a T.V. screen alongside your game or at the push of a select button, which would take away a lot less of the immersion you have in a game than looking at your iPad would.
Tom Friedlander 16

Postby Thos. » 17 Jun 2013, 13:58

Danny Carreer wrote:You know you're desperate when you put "got the best games"

Why is that desperate? If I had a list of reasons to buy a particular console, best games would easily be the top of the list, no question. It's just a shame about all the other stuff.

Also: I know nothing about technical issues, but every single post I've seen online says that the concept of using 'cloud processing' for physics, lighting and AI is complete and utter rubbish (but useful for MMO-type stuff).
Thos. 43

Postby OXM ETboy » 17 Jun 2013, 13:58

Regarding the whole SmartGlass thing, nobody asked for it and nobody wants it.

That was pretty much what I thought, but 10 million people have downloaded it, apparently. I'd say The Division makes a pretty compelling argument for cross-platform play, myself, but I don't think it belongs in every game.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby OXM ETboy » 17 Jun 2013, 13:59

Thos. wrote:Also: I know nothing about technical issues, but every single post I've seen online says that the concept of using 'cloud processing' for physics, lighting and AI is complete and utter rubbish (but useful for MMO-type stuff).

Proof --> pudding, I guess. At the very least, though, you'll never have to worry about your hard drive filling up ever again.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby vadersmyfather » 17 Jun 2013, 14:03

OXM ETboy wrote:
Thos. wrote:Also: I know nothing about technical issues, but every single post I've seen online says that the concept of using 'cloud processing' for physics, lighting and AI is complete and utter rubbish (but useful for MMO-type stuff).

Proof --> pudding, I guess. At the very least, though, you'll never have to worry about your hard drive filling up ever again.

So everything goes to the Cloud, including game installs?
I cnduo't bvleiee taht I culod aulaclty uesdtannrd waht I was rdnaieg. Unisg the icndeblire pweor of the hmuan mnid it dseno't mttaer the oderr the lterets in a wrod are, the olny irpoamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer are in the rhgit pclae.
vadersmyfather 46

Postby OXM ETboy » 17 Jun 2013, 14:05

The way I understand it, buying a game means buying a digital copy which sits on the cloud, which is theoretically "limitless". That copy is then downloaded to any Xbox One console you use when you sign in.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby TinnoUnited » 17 Jun 2013, 14:12

Danny Carreer wrote:You know you're desperate when you put "got the best games" and use examples of just continuations of already existing franchises and using no originality. No wonder PS4 is winning hands down, fair enough they may be doing the same with some games but at least they're cheaper and don't scruitinise the players.

Hasn't there been a distinct lack of new/original IP's across both platforms which are exclusive to just one console?
TinnoUnited 29

Postby vadersmyfather » 17 Jun 2013, 14:19

TinnoUnited wrote:
Danny Carreer wrote:You know you're desperate when you put "got the best games" and use examples of just continuations of already existing franchises and using no originality. No wonder PS4 is winning hands down, fair enough they may be doing the same with some games but at least they're cheaper and don't scruitinise the players.

Hasn't there been a distinct lack of new/original IP's across both platforms which are exclusive to just one console?

Yes, apart from a few such as Quantum Break, Ryse and Titanfall.

Having said that I think people seem to get more pumped for what they know is going to be good and what they are anticipating (ie a sequel to a great game). Imagine if the Halo XBO trailer had been for a new IP, I doubt people would have been remotely interested.
vadersmyfather 46

Postby FishyGinger » 17 Jun 2013, 14:33

vadersmyfather wrote:So everything goes to the Cloud, including game installs?

No, as he clarifies above you'd have to download the little beggar to play it but your library isn't sat on any shelf, it's all in the aoife....sorry, ether.

Edit: Wow, how late was I with that. I think I'm in a time hole....
I have given pleasure to the world because I have such a beautiful ass.
FishyGinger 66

Postby Thos. » 17 Jun 2013, 14:34

vadersmyfather wrote:
OXM ETboy wrote:

So everything goes to the Cloud, including game installs?

No - it's exactly the same as the current situation. If you delete all the games you bought and downloaded to your 360, you can re-download them whenever you want.

There's not a 'digital version' of your specific game online (or 'in The Cloud'), any more than there's a 'digital version' of a movie just for you, ready to watch on YouTube.

Xbox One is the same - If your Hard Drive fills up and you delete stuff, you can re-download it when you want.
Thos. 43

Next