to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Microsoft defends Xbox One price - "we're delivering thousan

Your comments on our articles.

Mattrick: analysts had forecast higher cost

Xbox One's £429/$499 price tag is perfectly fair and justified, argues Microsoft's Interactive Entertainment Business president Don Mattrick, because the console and associated services represent "thousands of dollars" in value.... read more

Microsoft defends Xbox One price - "we're delivering thousan

Postby AllusiveTurtle » 17 Jun 2013, 17:19

It's not the overall price that concerns me with regard to the One - but I do resent the idea that perhaps we in the UK are either being ripped off or possibly subsidising the cost of the console in the US. My understanding is that taxation on the One in the US is roughly 9% which would bring it down to approximately $450 - which in turn would mean that the console would retail here for about £290 before VAT - add that on at 20% and we end up with £340. So, why so much difference? I also resent the fact that the US will be getting so much more thrown in with the One (all the sports stuff and TV from day one etc.) and yet, even though we won't be getting that, we will are still paying more than in the US. I know that American's believe that a dollar and a pound are of the same value - but perhaps it is time that someone tells them otherwise! :evil:
Last edited by AllusiveTurtle on 17 Jun 2013, 17:24, edited 1 time in total.
AllusiveTurtle 44

Re: Microsoft defends Xbox One price - "we're delivering tho

Postby KernowDevil23 » 17 Jun 2013, 17:21

"Thousands of dollars worth of value"??!!

I'm sorry Ed but do you not get a little tired of quoting this idiot? The guy's a complete moron from a PR perspective.
I don't care if a game is "the same every year." So is pizza. Stop buying the bad pizza. Buy the good pizza.
KernowDevil23 56

Postby vadersmyfather » 17 Jun 2013, 17:23

What is it with this guy? He's a one man PR disaster.

EDIT - Not that anyone else has covered themselves in glory.
I think the people in the flat above me are having sex...
Either that or they're sleeping restlessly and agreeing with each other a lot.
vadersmyfather 49

Postby OXM ETboy » 17 Jun 2013, 17:27

I never tire of quoting Mattrick, no :) It is my dream to get Cliff Bleszinski to interview him, with guest commentary from David Braben and that guy who developed FortressCraft.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby KernowDevil23 » 17 Jun 2013, 17:29

OXM ETboy wrote:I never tire of quoting Mattrick, no :) It is my dream to get Cliff Bleszinski to interview him, with guest commentary from David Braben and that guy who developed FortressCraft.

Now that would be amusing!

Someone at MS has to open the window eventually though. Mattrick's brain farts must be stinking out the whole damn place!
I don't care if a game is "the same every year." So is pizza. Stop buying the bad pizza. Buy the good pizza.
KernowDevil23 56

Postby HNation-2552 » 17 Jun 2013, 17:30

"Thousands of dollars of value to people" - people living in the US, yes. Presumably with resoundly average Internet connections, judging by all the negativity over the always online component, 24 hour checkins. I personally wasn't that disappointed by the £429 price, until I checked the currency comparisons. Would be UK buyers are getting a double whammy of an odd MS pricing strategy and greedy UK VAT rules - £429 = around $660.

I do think the Xbox One is expensive, for what it is, certainly from a UK standpoint with the majority of the extras - in-built TV guides, live sport interactivity which are key to their all in one idea; will more than likely stay US-only for a good 3-4 months after launch.

One more thing - not sure if many media outlets have picked up on this - the XB1 does not come with a headset included. Its now a priced extra - I presume around £20. I'll certainly be picking one of these up, as it'll save a few embarrassing moments with the in built mic in Kinect 2 which they blatantly want you to use instead.

That said, from a purely gaming stand point, I'm picking the Xbox One over the PS4.
HNation-2552 23

Postby KernowDevil23 » 17 Jun 2013, 17:32

HNation-2552 wrote:One more thing - not sure if many media outlets have picked up on this - the XB1 does not come with a headset included. Its now a priced extra - I presume around £20. .

Is that confirmed?

I hadn't noticed either way but if so....... :roll:
KernowDevil23 56

Postby HNation-2552 » 17 Jun 2013, 17:39

KernowDevil23 wrote:
HNation-2552 wrote:One more thing - not sure if many media outlets have picked up on this - the XB1 does not come with a headset included. Its now a priced extra - I presume around £20. .

Is that confirmed?

I hadn't noticed either way but if so....... :roll:

I haven't seen anything myself confirmed about availability etc for the XB1 headset. Apart from the fact it's now strangely absent from the contents of the package you buy with the console, which to me is frustrating!
HNation-2552 23

Postby jimbosolo » 17 Jun 2013, 17:45

its ironic that I didnt here the sony loyalist moan that the ps3 RRP was £425 nearly £200 more than the US release, didn't have the physical built in ps2 and was missing some usb ports. Yet their quite happy to go haha are console is £80 approx. cheaper than yours for ps4.
jimbosolo 15

Postby Martythemerc » 17 Jun 2013, 18:53

The price not only bothers me, but so does the functionality for what I use it for. I've enjoyed the use of my 360 for many years and was hoping the Xbone was going to continue that enjoyment. I'm a casual user for gaming, and buy used games as well as the odd new releases on disk, and have maintained a reasonable number of old favorites. I was irked when I found out the "new one" would not support backward compatibility - okay, new OS and all, but no, that means keeping the 360 to play those good 'ol titles. I turn my 360 off when not using it, because the power supply generates lots of heat, and even when I play it, I run a small fan that keeps it comfy and protects it from burn out. The New One has to be ON all the time to verify your game ownership and to talk to the M$ Mothership - no, not what I want. (Xbox On). I'm from Canada, and have a stable cheap Internet provider who happens to be my cable TV subscriber as well, and I do have an HD PVR from them, so, Micro$oft, I don't need a TV tuner as well - remember, I'm a casual gamer, and I don't need to pay $500. Once again MS is not listening to what it's customers want (look at Windows 8). I was intrigued by the PS4 presentation at E3 that allows my to turn off the machine, allows me to buy used games the old fashioned way, and to "borrow" games to play without getting nagged at.
Micro$oft is going to have to rethink this new concept, and maybe just market a less caffeinated machine designed just as a game player, where it might allow you to upload a 360 game to the cloud to then be translated or transencoded to the new format. Allow the machine to be turned off for longer than 24 hours, whereupon when logged in, will identify your machine as valid by it's hashing. Allow you to play single player offline if you wish. Anyway, because they likely won't do those things, I think I'll be switching to Sony.
Martythemerc 9

Postby Skippy_Live » 17 Jun 2013, 19:26

Martythemerc wrote:The New One has to be ON all the time to verify your game ownership and to talk to the M$ Mothership - no, not what I want.

The Xbox doesn't have to be on and connected to the internet all the time, only once a day.
Skippy_Live 26

Postby fracturedrich » 17 Jun 2013, 21:14

Anyway, because they likely won't do those things, I think I'll be switching to Sony.[/quote]
Switch then,it will not make any difference to me what you do.I am getting a bit sick of people saying that they are jumping ship,in fact it is boring.This is the thing it's your money do what you will they will both have amazing games to play with hardly no difference in graphics or game play.
fracturedrich 47

Postby Martythemerc » 17 Jun 2013, 21:17

Skippy_Live wrote:
Martythemerc wrote:The New One has to be ON all the time to verify your game ownership and to talk to the M$ Mothership - no, not what I want.

The Xbox doesn't have to be on and connected to the internet all the time, only once a day.

WHY?
Martythemerc 9

Postby Martythemerc » 17 Jun 2013, 21:20

fracturedrich wrote:Anyway, because they likely won't do those things, I think I'll be switching to Sony.

Switch then,it will not make any difference to me what you do.I am getting a bit sick of people saying that they are jumping ship,in fact it is boring.This is the thing it's your money do what you will they will both have amazing games to play with hardly no difference in graphics or game play.[/quote]

I don't care that my critique of a poorly thought out platform doesn't agree with you. I'm expressing an observed opinion on a product I've used for many years with no problem until it's predecessor was revealed. I'm directing this to Micro$oft - not you.
Martythemerc 9

Postby Decent_Jam » 17 Jun 2013, 22:19

Martythemerc wrote:I don't care that my critique of a poorly thought out platform doesn't agree with you. I'm expressing an observed opinion on a product I've used for many years with no problem until it's predecessor was revealed. I'm directing this to Micro$oft - not you.

To be fair if Microsoft listened to all of us they would have no idea what to do, even in this fairly limited cross-section who we have on the site we have the complete range of opinion on whether what MS is doing is 'right' or not.

I just hope that when it does ship it's as snappy and zippy as it should be, and doesn't suffer from gradual slow-down like a PC as it gets clogged up with 'stuff'.
Decent_Jam

Game: GT - "Decent Jam"
Tweet: @James_Parry
Email: jamesmparry87@gmail.com
Site - This Is Entertainment: http://jamesmparry.wordpress.com/

Playing : Destiny, TF, Forza 5, KI - head to OXM Nights to meet up.
Decent_Jam 62

Next