11 Xbox One myths debunked - Kinect, online checks, game pri

Your comments on our articles.

Clearing the waters muddied by Microsoft messaging

Some have called the internet the single greatest contribution to human knowledge, effectively doing away with the need for organic memory banks in puny, carbon-based lifeforms such as you and (for the record) I. Others, however, style it history's grandest and most protracted round of Chinese Whispers.... read more

Postby Matthew Healey » 18 Jun 2013, 13:39

thank god for this article

now whenever someone says any of these bullshit rumours, i will direct them straight to this and they can shut their face
Matthew Healey 1

Re: 11 Xbox One myths debunked - Kinect, online checks, game

Postby unabatedshagie » 18 Jun 2013, 13:44

Matthew Healey wrote:thank god for this article

now whenever someone says any of these bullshit rumours, i will direct them straight to this and they can shut their face

If only it would. Haters gonna hate and nothing's going to change their minds.
unabatedshagie 17

Postby CunningSmile » 18 Jun 2013, 13:49

unabatedshagie wrote:

If only it would. Haters gonna hate and nothing's going to change their minds.

Cynical as you are shagie I'm afriad you're right. Even if they read anything that disagrees with the paranoid delusion they've conjured up it's because "...of course OXM would say that, they work for MS..." and other equally incorrect explanations.

But it is nice to have everything in one place so thanks Edwin, good article.
A Tweet is like an episode of Game of Thrones; there are 140 characters and something awful usually happens
CunningSmile 74
OXM Moderator

Postby OXM ETboy » 18 Jun 2013, 13:52

Glad to be of service, all :)
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby fatalgilly » 18 Jun 2013, 13:53

How much space will i need for the kinect?

Cause i would really like to have it so my xbox works in my bedroom and the kinect probably isn't going to get a good view of me... probably just my head and shoulders... if that.

Doubt my family would be happy about me moving it into the living room :(
fatalgilly 23

Postby OXM ETboy » 18 Jun 2013, 13:57

fatalgilly wrote:How much space will i need for the kinect?

Cause i would really like to have it so my xbox works in my bedroom and the kinect probably isn't going to get a good view of me... probably just my head and shoulders... if that.

I recall seeing some stats somewhere. I'll write them up in a bit.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby Guilty Sparks » 18 Jun 2013, 13:58

It is indeed a good article, I do have both consoles pre-ordered, however I am now leaning to cancel the PS4, one console has to be cut as I can't simply afford them both in the short space of time in which they are being released with rent and whatnot, the more reading I do regarding Microsofts offering the more it makes sense to me (Damn you Ed).... to steal another articles headline.... it is the console of tomorrow.
Oracle? Great Journey? Why do you meddlers insist on using such inaccurate verbiage?
Guilty Sparks 37

Postby Darth Mousemat » 18 Jun 2013, 14:01

I did see something that I thought would've been a good Idea had they implemented it. some sort of 3G capability to help with the 24Hr sign in restriction would've made it a bit better received I think....
Darth Mousemat 24

Postby Raansu » 18 Jun 2013, 14:02

By all means please explain how this article will shut their face. Nothing about this article really changed anything and the facts are still the same.

1.) It still has draconian drm.

2.) Lending a PHYSICAL copy of a disc requires 30 days of being on a friend list (asinine and even all those details are still not clear)

3.) Kinnect is still forced on users as it has to be plugged in. The "off" setting is really just standby. It's still being powered. I want nothing to do with kinnect, I don't want it part of my games, I don't want it plugged it, I don't want it in my room. It's a device that should be 100% optional but is being forced on the consumer. It's the very reason I do not own a Wii or a WiiU

4.) Cloud processing IS rubbish. Developers bragged about the PS3 Cell processor as well and look where that went. It's a load of crap and another step in forcing online connectivity to the system.

5.) Region locked. Why is this system region locked? I lived in Japan for two years. You know what was awesome about my PS3? I could play US and Japanese games on my system. There really is no reason to have region locks and MS goes another step further with its draconian drm and locks your system out if its IP is in a region outside of the region it was built for...asinine.

6.) Forced connectivity every hour to 24 hours...Back to the draconian drm. Simply a feature that punishes its users. I don't care if we are in an "always online" world. There are and will be instances when the internet is not readily available or the simple fact that someone may just not want to be online. Forcing them to do so, no matter your intentions, is a negative outcome.

7.) MS hasn't been very clear about their hardware, but what information they have shared...it's hardly a big step from the 360. It certainly is more powerful, but not by much. They are banking on that ridiculous cloud processing that in the end will not be a positive outcome on games. As it stands, the hardware in the xbox one is weaker than my two year old pc. In fact, my PC would run circles around the xbox one. They also skipped out the superior gddr5 and stuck with a slower and weaker gddr3 and implemented esram to compensate for the slower memory of gddr3 as well as lowering the lock speed on the cpu to deal with heating issues. This system is nothing but a mess, so much so that the xbox one games were not even running on xbox one hardware at E3, but high end PC's running on windows 7 (X1 is the joke OS windows 8.)

I've been with xbox for over 10 years, but nothing can save them from the train wreck they are in. Will the system fail? Probably not, but it won't be anywhere near as successful as the 360 and will most likely be massively behind the PS4 in terms of sales and development support.
Raansu 4

Postby FishyGinger » 18 Jun 2013, 14:03

Good article but then MS paid you all a gazillion $bollars.

I'm still spectacle about this cloud bringing hooge amounts of power but it really doesn't matter that much does it when it's already such a step up from the 360. Anyone playing some of this gens best games thinking that they'd be so much better with 7 more terraflops of ram is an ickle bick silly.
Spider-Baby. Its got the body of a spider and the mind of a baby.
FishyGinger 71

Postby Grummy » 18 Jun 2013, 14:06

The Kinect has been upgraded to allow for much smaller spaces, there is greater level of zoom etc. If it's only going to get your head and shoulders, you're probably not going to be able to do anything with it that involves moving and hand gestures, however it will still be possible to use it for vocal interaction, this, in my opinion, is by far the better use for it than waving your arms and legs around. Ryse, for example, allows you to command your soldiers around by voice whilst you fight with your control pad.

Outside of games, you can still use your voice to navigate and control Kinect and its features, you technically never need to use hand gestures for anything (apart from Kinect specific games like Kinect Sports).
One. Warrior. Nation.

"The PS4 reminds me of a Kit-Kat, and I like Kit-Kats" as spoken by the Hetty.
Grummy 67
OXM Moderator

Postby SilentDark » 18 Jun 2013, 14:07

Point 1 - "participating retailers" that's usually code for "retailers who give us money" so while they are not charging you the consumer for buying and selling used games this cost will probably be passed on to the consumer by the retailer, probably a brilliant strategy to demonize the retailers while protesting innocence.

Point 2 - As long as you only have ten or less "family members" then yes, but the problem isn't so much that they are "blocking" as they are "restricting" loaning of games, if you meet a new "family member" you'll have to wait 30 days before you can lend them anything, currently I can do this from day one.

Point 3 - Okay paranoia has run wild, I still think mandatory kinect is a stupid idea, next.

Point 4 - Well given that most of these TV services won't be available to countries outside the US at launch I think you have a point. Their own fault though for not being more balanced in the reveal, and the Halo TV series had no place there.

Point 5 - The 3rd party titles will show up on other consoles, that's just a given, I suppose it depends on what your opinion is on the first party titles is.

Point 6 - Just one question. What happens when the servers are turned off?

Point 7 - Rather depends on what British retailers eventually charge I suppose so there isn't that much to do but wait and see.

Point 8 - Wonder what China and other countries with restrictive internet policies will make of that.

Point 9 - But it still requires an internet connection, even for things that shouldn't require an internet connection, they have resolved this by way of a cheat that even Wishmaster's Djinn would be proud of.

Point 10 - Well technically is does still use bandwidth doesn't it? :)

Point 11 - Wish MS actually knew the right answer for this. That they don't is a little worrying.

Gotta admire MS for being able to abuse "exact words" though.
"That is what forgiveness sounds like. Screaming and then silence."
SilentDark 68

Postby Grummy » 18 Jun 2013, 14:09

Raansu wrote:

By all means please explain how this article will shut their face. Nothing about this article really changed anything and the facts are still the same.

1.) It still has draconian drm.

2.) Lending a PHYSICAL copy of a disc requires 30 days of being on a friend list (asinine and even all those details are still not clear)

3.) Kinnect is still forced on users as it has to be plugged in. The "off" setting is really just standby. It's still being powered. I want nothing to do with kinnect, I don't want it part of my games, I don't want it plugged it, I don't want it in my room. It's a device that should be 100% optional but is being forced on the consumer. It's the very reason I do not own a Wii or a WiiU

4.) Cloud processing IS rubbish. Developers bragged about the PS3 Cell processor as well and look where that went. It's a load of crap and another step in forcing online connectivity to the system.

5.) Region locked. Why is this system region locked? I lived in Japan for two years. You know what was awesome about my PS3? I could play US and Japanese games on my system. There really is no reason to have region locks and MS goes another step further with its draconian drm and locks your system out if its IP is in a region outside of the region it was built for...asinine.

6.) Forced connectivity every hour to 24 hours...Back to the draconian drm. Simply a feature that punishes its users. I don't care if we are in an "always online" world. There are and will be instances when the internet is not readily available or the simple fact that someone may just not want to be online. Forcing them to do so, no matter your intentions, is a negative outcome.

7.) MS hasn't been very clear about their hardware, but what information they have shared...it's hardly a big step from the 360. It certainly is more powerful, but not by much. They are banking on that ridiculous cloud processing that in the end will not be a positive outcome on games. As it stands, the hardware in the xbox one is weaker than my two year old pc. In fact, my PC would run circles around the xbox one. They also skipped out the superior gddr5 and stuck with a slower and weaker gddr3 and implemented esram to compensate for the slower memory of gddr3 as well as lowering the lock speed on the cpu to deal with heating issues. This system is nothing but a mess, so much so that the xbox one games were not even running on xbox one hardware at E3, but high end PC's running on windows 7 (X1 is the joke OS windows 8.)

I've been with xbox for over 10 years, but nothing can save them from the train wreck they are in. Will the system fail? Probably not, but it won't be anywhere near as successful as the 360 and will most likely be massively behind the PS4 in terms of sales and development support.

Fine, you don't like it and you refuse to see any positives despite them being there. Good for you, now sod off and don't come back, that way every one will be happy.

Haters gonna hate indeed.
One. Warrior. Nation.

"The PS4 reminds me of a Kit-Kat, and I like Kit-Kats" as spoken by the Hetty.
Grummy 67
OXM Moderator

Postby fatalgilly » 18 Jun 2013, 14:10

OXM ETboy wrote:

I recall seeing some stats somewhere. I'll write them up in a bit.

Cheers Ed! :D
fatalgilly 23

Postby Cokney Charmer » 18 Jun 2013, 14:11

Sorry but this article reads like another piece of lame MS PR literature. The Chinese whispers going around is because MS continue to mess up the PR and marketing for the Xbox One, they clarify one question then generate ten more questions which then need to be clarified again. Its brain numbingly bad PR and not surprised but a little disappointed that OXFM has now become a tool to help out:

1) MS may not directly charge for "Trading in games" but it sure as hell will be picking "which retailers" you will ONLY be able to trade games with. They also built the DRM into the foundation of the console with the 24hr checking garbage whether you own the physical game disc or not. All on MS, they arent exactly encouraging the trade in market by attempting to to control it

2) Blocking Game loans...so the digital library sharing scheme is so dam complicated no wonder its not set in stone, and the fact its not shows MS still dont know what they are doing with this feature. 10 family members who dont have to be family so why use the term family?

3) Kinect 2.0 isnt spying on you...really, well it will always be listening, it may only react to one voice command to power on but it has to sit their listening to every ambient sound in order to hear that command. Turning off its sensors is suppoed to make people feel better? the very fact you cant run the Xbox One without Kinect plugged in and facing the room cancels out any notion that you are in control of Kinect.

4) The Xbox brand was once community driven, it then evolved into this generation and was a games console that had streaming media features but it was always a games console primarily. Xbox One is an entertainment hub that can play games, The very fact that if it cant do its daily check it will suspend your ability to play ANY game until it can, but you can still watch TV and Bluray movies etc shows its no longer a games console. To try and claim that MS is putting "entertainment first" is nonsense, its grabbing revenue anyway it can, and it thinks that making every non US region into a US Living room with Xbox One is a joke and is obvious. The PS4 is a games console, designed to be a games console to give gamers a gaming experience that just happens to be able to provide streaming entertainment options via its own Services...remind you of anything, yeah..the 360

5) Exclusives...the one thing the Xbox Community did demand, and what has MS got to offer going into next generation...another HALO game (huge halo fan) another Kinect game and you highlight these as exclusives? well duh....Ryse is a failed kinect game turned into a hack n slash where the QTE wont result in a failure if you get it wrong. Killer Instinct, a game that died two game generations ago is back, and its free, well, one character is free you have to buy the remaining roster to use them lol Exclusivity is a joke when you announce something then it appears on another platform, hell in the MS E3 briefing they showed trailers for games, Sony then showed the gameplay on their system. Says it there

6)Cloud processing, cant comment on this until we see how its used 12 months after launch to know what, if any, benefits it has, to attack it now is just ignorant

7)Price of Next Gen games is not a surprise, anyone who is by it is a fool. Why is annoying, is that MS are expecting new xbox one owners to fork out more money on accessories on launch like the standard headset which wont come bundled with your £429 console, and that no current accessories will be compatible with the Xbox One on launch...more money grabbing by MS

8)Not being made available in all regions at launch, a staggered launch is a wise business move in my eyes, MS have learned from the 360s failure in some regions to know its a waste of money to push, market and release it in regions that have shown little interest to the brand

9)Having to require an online check at all is basically saying you are always online. Yes what "smart" tech isnt requiring of being online, but then if the checks cant be made the gaming function of the Xbox One is turned off until it can go online to check its DRM license bits....yeah, sorry MS

10) It has to perform an online check, KBs, MBs or GBs, makes no difference, it has to perform the check in the first place...and thats the point that has angered so many

11) Arguing how much more powerful the xbox one is over the 360 is pointless, its next gen..it should be more powerful no matter what number you put before the X

Just my take on this PR spin campaign, MS do better and OXM...dont try to save them, just make them do their PR job better
Twitter = @CockneyCharmer
Cokney Charmer 22

Next