Sorry but this article reads like another piece of lame MS PR literature. The Chinese whispers going around is because MS continue to mess up the PR and marketing for the Xbox One, they clarify one question then generate ten more questions which then need to be clarified again. Its brain numbingly bad PR and not surprised but a little disappointed that OXFM has now become a tool to help out:
1) MS may not directly charge for "Trading in games" but it sure as hell will be picking "which retailers" you will ONLY be able to trade games with. They also built the DRM into the foundation of the console with the 24hr checking garbage whether you own the physical game disc or not. All on MS, they arent exactly encouraging the trade in market by attempting to to control it
2) Blocking Game loans...so the digital library sharing scheme is so dam complicated no wonder its not set in stone, and the fact its not shows MS still dont know what they are doing with this feature. 10 family members who dont have to be family so why use the term family?
3) Kinect 2.0 isnt spying on you...really, well it will always be listening, it may only react to one voice command to power on but it has to sit their listening to every ambient sound in order to hear that command. Turning off its sensors is suppoed to make people feel better? the very fact you cant run the Xbox One without Kinect plugged in and facing the room cancels out any notion that you are in control of Kinect.
4) The Xbox brand was once community driven, it then evolved into this generation and was a games console that had streaming media features but it was always a games console primarily. Xbox One is an entertainment hub that can play games, The very fact that if it cant do its daily check it will suspend your ability to play ANY game until it can, but you can still watch TV and Bluray movies etc shows its no longer a games console. To try and claim that MS is putting "entertainment first" is nonsense, its grabbing revenue anyway it can, and it thinks that making every non US region into a US Living room with Xbox One is a joke and is obvious. The PS4 is a games console, designed to be a games console to give gamers a gaming experience that just happens to be able to provide streaming entertainment options via its own Services...remind you of anything, yeah..the 360
5) Exclusives...the one thing the Xbox Community did demand, and what has MS got to offer going into next generation...another HALO game (huge halo fan) another Kinect game and you highlight these as exclusives? well duh....Ryse is a failed kinect game turned into a hack n slash where the QTE wont result in a failure if you get it wrong. Killer Instinct, a game that died two game generations ago is back, and its free, well, one character is free you have to buy the remaining roster to use them lol Exclusivity is a joke when you announce something then it appears on another platform, hell in the MS E3 briefing they showed trailers for games, Sony then showed the gameplay on their system. Says it there
6)Cloud processing, cant comment on this until we see how its used 12 months after launch to know what, if any, benefits it has, to attack it now is just ignorant
7)Price of Next Gen games is not a surprise, anyone who is by it is a fool. Why is annoying, is that MS are expecting new xbox one owners to fork out more money on accessories on launch like the standard headset which wont come bundled with your £429 console, and that no current accessories will be compatible with the Xbox One on launch...more money grabbing by MS
Not being made available in all regions at launch, a staggered launch is a wise business move in my eyes, MS have learned from the 360s failure in some regions to know its a waste of money to push, market and release it in regions that have shown little interest to the brand
9)Having to require an online check at all is basically saying you are always online. Yes what "smart" tech isnt requiring of being online, but then if the checks cant be made the gaming function of the Xbox One is turned off until it can go online to check its DRM license bits....yeah, sorry MS
10) It has to perform an online check, KBs, MBs or GBs, makes no difference, it has to perform the check in the first place...and thats the point that has angered so many
11) Arguing how much more powerful the xbox one is over the 360 is pointless, its next gen..it should be more powerful no matter what number you put before the X
Just my take on this PR spin campaign, MS do better and OXM...dont try to save them, just make them do their PR job better