Sunset Overdrive first look - Insomniac talks cloud power an

Your comments on our articles.

Xbox One's least expected new IP struts its stuff

Of all E3 2013's surprises - a new Battlefront, free-to-play Killer Instinct, Tom Clancy's The Division - perhaps the most surprising was the sight of Burbank-based Insomniac, developer of this year's least admired venture into multiplatform waters, touting an Xbox-exclusive new IP.... read more

Sunset Overdrive first look - Insomniac talks cloud power an

Postby sonicmark » 18 Jun 2013, 19:11

I like the look of this one, when I was watching it I thought it was a bit like borderlands with some of mirror's edge's charm, what did other folk think?
sonicmark 28

Re: Sunset Overdrive first look - Insomniac talks cloud powe

Postby SidTheSloth » 18 Jun 2013, 19:14

Was nice to see some colour in a shooter, but it's not something that particularly appeals to me, but then i suspect i'm not their target audience. I'm not sure they'll play the same but i can't help but think of Bulletstorm when i see this, quirky shooter with decent ideas, reviews well etc. but unfortunately then hardly sells.... :|
(2 + 4 = Fish) / Sloth = Better
SidTheSloth 54

Postby AzzyCLB » 18 Jun 2013, 19:33

Sunset Overdrive looks good, but so do most CGI trailers.

Does anyone know if it's possible for Insomniac to make any Ratchet and Clank games for the X1?
AzzyCLB 28

Postby Plamsa wing » 18 Jun 2013, 19:56

As much as I'd love for it to happen, Sony owns the rights to Ratchet and Clank, so no. If Sunset Overdrive goes well for them, which I hope it does after Fuse, they could make a R&C-esque game you never know.
I spilled flour in my uncle's kitchen, now I've got a croissant.
Plamsa wing 57

Postby AzzyCLB » 18 Jun 2013, 20:16

That's a bummer.

But thanks for clearing that up. :)
AzzyCLB 28

Postby Sandbwoy » 18 Jun 2013, 21:02

SidTheSloth wrote:Was nice to see some colour in a shooter, but it's not something that particularly appeals to me, but then i suspect i'm not their target audience. I'm not sure they'll play the same but i can't help but think of Bulletstorm when i see this, quirky shooter with decent ideas, reviews well etc. but unfortunately then hardly sells.... :|

Same here, reminded me of Bulletstorm as soon as I saw it. Quirky and colourful. Looking forward to seeing some actual gameplay footage in the coming months, this could turn out to be decent I think.
Sandbwoy 24

Postby Maximus T » 19 Jun 2013, 09:23

The fact that this is an XBOX ONE exclusive is kind of amusing in one sense (as they used to be a PS exclusive studio), but also shows that they are more inclined to develop for the ONE than the PS4. Now there may be a lot of money which has a hand in making these deals, but also, realise that developers will be way more knowledgeable about the capabilities of the next generation consoles than the public, so did Insomniac also make that decision based on the tech they would be able to work with?
This signature is so amazing, you get a +1 morale boost just for reading it.
Join the OXM Gamerscore league on True Achievements!Click here!
Maximus T 71

Postby DoucheVader » 18 Jul 2013, 14:48

Serviceable yet unremarkable and perceived to be a diluted version of a once-promising game, Fuse has left a fairly big dent in the Ratchet developer's professional veneer.

Did you play Resistance 3? That game was completely devoid of creativity. Had no business being called a Resistance game.

Insomniac with the exception of R&C is completely on my sh!t list now. Resistance 1 and 2 were brilliant games but anything since than has been utter crap and this Sunset Overdrive doesn't look much better to be honest.

More flub about the cloud though. People the cloud is nothing unique or novel to Microsoft. They are playing it up due to the lack of hardware in the XBONE. The cloud is no miracle worker. Technically the PS3 and the X360 took advantage of the cloud too.
DoucheVader 19

Postby DoucheVader » 18 Jul 2013, 14:53

Maximus T wrote:The fact that this is an XBOX ONE exclusive is kind of amusing in one sense (as they used to be a PS exclusive studio),

Nope technically they were always independent, they just had a very good relationship with Sony.

Maximus T wrote:but also shows that they are more inclined to develop for the ONE than the PS4. Now there may be a lot of money which has a hand in making these deals, but also, realise that developers will be way more knowledgeable about the capabilities of the next generation consoles than the public, so did Insomniac also make that decision based on the tech they would be able to work with?

This was 100% money LOL, don't be so naive if MS doesn't own the studio money makes the games happen. That's Microsoft's MO.
DoucheVader 19

Postby DoucheVader » 18 Jul 2013, 14:54

Sandbwoy wrote:
SidTheSloth wrote:Was nice to see some colour in a shooter, but it's not something that particularly appeals to me, but then i suspect i'm not their target audience. I'm not sure they'll play the same but i can't help but think of Bulletstorm when i see this, quirky shooter with decent ideas, reviews well etc. but unfortunately then hardly sells.... :|

Same here, reminded me of Bulletstorm as soon as I saw it. Quirky and colourful. Looking forward to seeing some actual gameplay footage in the coming months, this could turn out to be decent I think.

Looks kind of like open-world Fuse to me. I await to see more, but the campy factor is high.
DoucheVader 19