Microsoft: Xbox One still requires Kinect, game installs sti

Your comments on our articles.

Say goodbye to Family Sharing too

Well that was quite an almighty turnaround last night, wasn't it? The internet has spoken, and Microsoft has listened, and it seems like now we're all a little torn as to whether we've won a great victory or taken a step backwards in the race to the next generation.... read more

Postby J Meiser » 20 Jun 2013, 10:29

I was quite looking forward to the cloud-copy of any games I purchased and the family sharing feature :(. I hope they bring those features back at some point.
J Meiser 40

Re: Microsoft: Xbox One still requires Kinect, game installs

Postby unabatedshagie » 20 Jun 2013, 10:30

I'm contemplating cancelling my pre-order. This isn't the device I pre-ordered. This is a gimped 360 v2.

Stupid spineless move by Microsoft.

Congratulations internet, you've just set everything back another generation. Hope you're happy with your constant DRM checks instead of once every 24 hours.
unabatedshagie 17

Postby CunningSmile » 20 Jun 2013, 10:31

unabatedshagie wrote:I'm contemplating cancelling my pre-order. This isn't the device I pre-ordered. This is a gimped 360 v2.

Congratulations internet, you've just set everything back another generation. Hope you're happy with your constant DRM checks instead of once every 24 hours.

Agreed. Why upgrade from a 360 when all you get is 360+?
"Jar Jar, you're a genius"
CunningSmile 74
OXM Moderator

Postby GHOSTY05 » 20 Jun 2013, 10:32

Gutted to be honest!

A step back in time and a great loss of what would have been fantastic features.

I feel there is no difference between the PS4 and Xbox anymore, i don't think the Xbox one feels like a future console anymore.

A real shame in my eyes. :cry:
GHOSTY05 44

Postby herdz » 20 Jun 2013, 10:34

Least we can still use the cloud :) I'm glad ms have done this was still going to get
The xbox one just wouldn't be able to get all the games I wanted new but now I can get them
Second hand thx ms for thinking of the gamers that dont have a lot of cash!!!!
herdz 39

Postby vadersmyfather » 20 Jun 2013, 10:35

CunningSmile wrote:
unabatedshagie wrote:I'm contemplating cancelling my pre-order. This isn't the device I pre-ordered. This is a gimped 360 v2.

Agreed. Why upgrade from a 360 when all you get is 360+?

Particularly when the PS4 appears to have added umphh...
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
vadersmyfather 50

Postby ipsofacto » 20 Jun 2013, 10:36

I think the used games ban put too many people off, so this had to happen.

It's a shame though because the innovative features it had are pretty much gone... so now it feels like a 360 with better hardware
ipsofacto 47

Postby HNation-2552 » 20 Jun 2013, 10:38

Marc Whitten wrote:We still believe Kinect is a really critical part of the architecture," "We think it changes the way you can interact with your experiences, being able to control the box with your voice or with gestures, being able to do Skype

This trumpeting of Kinect being a "critical" and amazing part of the Xbox One's set up still riles me a bit. OK, I played Kinect Sports a few times round a friends, it was fun. Then got stale. The whole hubbub over voice commands - to be honest, I still feel slightly weird requesting Siri to set a reminder or find a web page on my iPhone, and that's a feature thats actually useful.

I like the last part of his feature explanation there - "being able to do Skype" so Kinect is a glorified webcam? Excellent. Still, it will probably be miles ahead of the original Xbox Camera so thats a plus.

They can never lie down can they, the guys leading MS games? Huge turnaround thats also a cover for taking away features that actually sounded really good! No more cloud sharing because you still need the physical disc? How is this an issue, if you can install the game to the HDD and your console shares this content with (theoretically) linked to MS Cloud servers, then what is preventing cloud sharing. Very odd and slightly irritating excuse.
HNation-2552 23

Postby GHOSTY05 » 20 Jun 2013, 10:42

HNation-2552 wrote:
Marc Whitten wrote:We still believe Kinect is a really critical part of the architecture," "We think it changes the way you can interact with your experiences, being able to control the box with your voice or with gestures, being able to do Skype

No more cloud sharing because you still need the physical disc? How is this an issue, if you can install the game to the HDD and your console shares this content with (theoretically) linked to MS Cloud servers, then what is preventing cloud sharing. Very odd and slightly irritating excuse.

I agree,they could have kept cloud sharing or at least be able to share or sell your digital games.

But instead they have spat their dummies out!
GHOSTY05 44

Postby HNation-2552 » 20 Jun 2013, 10:48

GHOSTY05 wrote:
HNation-2552 wrote:
No more cloud sharing because you still need the physical disc? How is this an issue, if you can install the game to the HDD and your console shares this content with (theoretically) linked to MS Cloud servers, then what is preventing cloud sharing. Very odd and slightly irritating excuse.

I agree,they could have kept cloud sharing or at least be able to share or sell your digital games.

But instead they have spat their dummies out!

Exactly. So thinking of it another way - did MS consider the "always on" DRM checking to enable cloud sharing, now that you can trade in, share games that this is no longer allowed due to them/publishers being petrified of piracy? Hmmm.

"Spat their dummies out" I think "holy f**kballs this isn't actually going to work, who knew" is more appropriate - I see Mattrick etc are still on an ego trip, sneaky cover-up feature change.
HNation-2552 23

Postby Seany Waggy » 20 Jun 2013, 10:54

Pleased to see I'm not the only the one disappointed by this U-turn but it's difficult to blame Microsoft.The real blame of course lies with the shouty internet idiots and the gutter gaming press labelling the Xbox one dead before it's even out of the blocks.Those and Sony's lack of willingness to evolve have set the gaming industry back another 10 years,but hey at least the likes of Game will be happy as they can continue to rip off consumers with trade in prices and leech off developers for years to come.

Congratulations on your victory internet :roll:
Seany Waggy 18

Postby Chameleon » 20 Jun 2013, 11:03

One big **** up, is what this is. Am I really going to reconsider the X1 pre-order I put down a few days ago? Nah, but I'm still p***** that the whining internet that didn't read the details managed to get some really useful things taken away.
Seany Waggy wrote:Congratulations on your victory internet :roll:

That's about right. :evil:
Chameleon 44

Postby seiibutsu » 20 Jun 2013, 11:06

My one worry right now is the likelihood of the kinect being broken and that essentially halting xbox one use. I know its likely a very small % chance of this occurring but.
Writing words and playing games. oh and eating sakes and lots of other stuff too...
seiibutsu 22

Postby unabatedshagie » 20 Jun 2013, 11:09

ipsofacto wrote:I think the used games ban put too many people off, so this had to happen.

It's a shame though because the innovative features it had are pretty much gone... so now it feels like a 360 with better hardware

What used game ban?
unabatedshagie 17

Postby unabatedshagie » 20 Jun 2013, 11:10

What people don't seem to realise is that it's still got DRM now. Only problem with it now is it's all the time. Don't have the disk, can't play the game. Even if I didn't have internet for whatever reason (and that's happened maybe 3/4 times in the 10 years I've had my house) I could still tether my phone to it, authenticate and keep on playing. It would take maybe a minute to do.

I now have to swap disks to play games, basically killed the fast switching feature. The family plan was brilliant, share my library with 10 other people. I rarely share my games and never with more than 10 people. Those people had access to my games and I had access to theirs.

Sure, I could go all digital and only download games to get round the disk swapping issue but while my internet is stable it's not hugely fast. Would take me hours to download a game. Also have a monthly bandwidth cap. With the old way I could buy the disk and have it installed and playing within minutes.

Right now, as it stands. This isn't the console I pre-ordered. They have gimped all the features I was excited about. All we have now is a hardware bump.
unabatedshagie 17

Next