to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Xbox One: Microsoft isn't "taking support for granted", "sti

Your comments on our articles.

Execs chip in on the conversation via Twitter

Microsoft execs are all warmth and humility on Twitter this morning, as the ramifications of Xbox One's online DRM reversal sink in. They did it for you, people - and for cute little puppies, and for mom's apple pie.... read more

Postby herdz » 20 Jun 2013, 11:10

One of the best things ms has done for gamers thank you!!!
herdz 36

Postby shiftymorgan » 20 Jun 2013, 11:11

I actually like the idea of family sharing and the ability to maybe gift a game
I understand the people that don't and the fact that MS took all options away which narked everyone.
It has to be a gradual change I think
shiftymorgan 44

Re: Xbox One: Microsoft isn't "taking support for granted",

Postby Currambo » 20 Jun 2013, 11:16

shiftymorgan wrote:I actually like the idea of family sharing and the ability to maybe gift a game
I understand the people that don't and the fact that MS took all options away which narked everyone.
It has to be a gradual change I think

If they can think of some gradual "opt-in" program to take advantage of the cloud based system they originally envisioned that would be great. Hopefully sometime in the future!
Currambo 54

Postby HooksaN » 20 Jun 2013, 11:20

Agree with people above.

A lot of people are very happy with the news, which is great. However ALL of the really fervent Xbox fans I know are saying they would gladly opt-in to a DRM/always online option if it gave the previously advertised benefits (especially the sharing).
HooksaN 19

Postby squirrelofDoom » 20 Jun 2013, 11:36

I hope they have an opt in system for digital sharing, most people I know are happy xbox has done a 180, but to have the option would be great. Problem is, they would have to either have it downloads only or roll out the original system that they had before the change, but if only a few are taking advantage it won't be worth the money. Personally if Microsoft had come out and shown the benefits then it would of changed people minds, but were never know.
squirrelofDoom 26

Postby CunningSmile » 20 Jun 2013, 11:50

squirrelofDoom wrote:I hope they have an opt in system for digital sharing, most people I know are happy xbox has done a 180, but to have the option would be great. Problem is, they would have to either have it downloads only or roll out the original system that they had before the change, but if only a few are taking advantage it won't be worth the money. Personally if Microsoft had come out and shown the benefits then it would of changed people minds, but were never know.

If they reintroduced the Family sharing but said it would only work if you buy the GoD version instead of hard copy I'd be switching to download so fast Usain Bolt would have trouble keeping up with me, and I've only got two people I even want to share with.
I dream of a world in which a chicken can cross the road without someone questioning his motives
CunningSmile 72
OXM Moderator

Postby shiftymorgan » 20 Jun 2013, 11:59

CunningSmile wrote:
squirrelofDoom wrote:I hope they have an opt in system for digital sharing, most people I know are happy xbox has done a 180, but to have the option would be great. Problem is, they would have to either have it downloads only or roll out the original system that they had before the change, but if only a few are taking advantage it won't be worth the money. Personally if Microsoft had come out and shown the benefits then it would of changed people minds, but were never know.

If they reintroduced the Family sharing but said it would only work if you buy the GoD version instead of hard copy I'd be switching to download so fast Usain Bolt would have trouble keeping up with me, and I've only got two people I even want to share with.

They could even add extra digital content to sweeten the pot.
shiftymorgan 44

Postby Bezza89 » 20 Jun 2013, 12:00

I think they've said that cunning, any downloadable games are seen in the shared library but if you want to play a disc game you need the disc. I've only read oxm, it's here somewhere that quote.
...and if you tell that to the kids of today, they wont believe you!
Bezza89 68

Postby CunningSmile » 20 Jun 2013, 12:04

I think that's only for accessing your own library from another machine. The sharing function has completely evaporated.
I dream of a world in which a chicken can cross the road without someone questioning his motives
CunningSmile 72
OXM Moderator

Postby shiftymorgan » 20 Jun 2013, 12:13

Bezza89 wrote:I think they've said that cunning, any downloadable games are seen in the shared library but if you want to play a disc game you need the disc. I've only read oxm, it's here somewhere that quote.

on the http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/update webpage it says that Downloaded titles cannot be shared or resold.

Sadly I wish this wasn't the case
shiftymorgan 44

Postby Thewhipidhinio » 20 Jun 2013, 12:17

Really appalled by their decision, this isn't listening to the people. This is looking into their bank balance & sales and realising that people are not as advanced as the console. This is a console for the next ten years, so at E3 they bring out a revolutionary console that destroys PS4 in evolution and concept, sure the average Joe was restricted to trade-ins, so was he on PS4... no one batted an eye lid. When it came to backwards compatibility, the Xbox consoles use two different disc drives, everyone up roars, the PS4 uses the same disc drive as PS3 and yet no native BC, no one bats an eyelid.

The only thing which I understand can really annoy people is the 24 hours, but we are not living in the 80's anymore when there was a blackout almost everyday. I live in Cornwall, the 'last county in England', on an internet connection via AOL, no Fibre optics no fancy stuff, just a good router and a package that's 8 years old, hell I don't even know the specs of my internet connection, I know for a fact that its just unlimited cheap internet, do I get disconnected every second? NO! The fact is out of the 70+ million xbox 360 users, I can assure you 65 million can connect to the internet once every 24 hours, or at least, when they want to play their xbox, even it means coming online and then disconnecting again.

The Xbox One has taken a very sour turn, other than, to put it bluntly, all is happening is a TU, I cant see why so much stick has been delivered to a far more appropriate 8th gen console than the PS4, which basically is a more powerful PS3. The Xbox One delivered something special, a new way to incorporate hardcore, light, innovative gaming and friendship. With the games becoming increasingly more powerful and spectacular the console has now taken away the DRM implemented for developers and publishers to focus more on the games before release and equally as important for us consumers afterwards.

Another thing, looking at the exclusives and multiplatform games, it indicates to me the side the developers and publishers are on, after all they are the creators of these games. With more big named exclusives for Xbox than PS (Forza 5, DR3, Titanfall), along with more exclusive content being delivered on Xbox one, the early releases of content for CoD, which no-one SHOULD care about, but apparently still do, and BF4, which incidentally had exclusive early access for PS with BF3! As well as Fifa with its increasingly profitable UT getting an XBOX ONE exclusive (which has not been unveiled as of now). These developers are making games, to me, around the future of the ONE and not PS4, considering how many at E3 were shown as essentially online RPGs with Tablet and Kinect integration, baring that in mind, why then does Microsoft have to cater for the offline folk when the games are becoming online only, or at least major matchmaking and cloud powered gaming. With Forza's Driveatar ploughing the way we play singleplayer games, looking to eradicate the world of easy to predict or annoyingly perfect AI and replace with your friends driving intelligence, thus making "offline" gaming equally as fun as online gaming, but notice its using the cloud which you have to be connected to online to use. The Medium, a group who a friend linked to me on the internet, put up a brilliant article about this backtrack which I agree 100% with, technically not quoting the creator of FORD the car manufacturer; "If I listened to people I would have just built a faster horse instead of a car." This I believe is very appropriate to this U-turn by Microsoft.

So next time you think about the drawbacks of something, look at the potential as well, because although what you have now is brilliant, enjoyable and enticing, what you could have had, well, could have been something special, which we may not have for years to come...
Thewhipidhinio 20

Postby Currambo » 20 Jun 2013, 13:01

Thewhipidhinio wrote:Really appalled by their decision, this isn't listening to the people. This is looking into their bank balance & sales and realising that people are not as advanced as the console. This is a console for the next ten years, so at E3 they bring out a revolutionary console that destroys PS4 in evolution and concept, sure the average Joe was restricted to trade-ins, so was he on PS4... no one batted an eye lid. When it came to backwards compatibility, the Xbox consoles use two different disc drives, everyone up roars, the PS4 uses the same disc drive as PS3 and yet no native BC, no one bats an eyelid.

The only thing which I understand can really annoy people is the 24 hours, but we are not living in the 80's anymore when there was a blackout almost everyday. I live in Cornwall, the 'last county in England', on an internet connection via AOL, no Fibre optics no fancy stuff, just a good router and a package that's 8 years old, hell I don't even know the specs of my internet connection, I know for a fact that its just unlimited cheap internet, do I get disconnected every second? NO! The fact is out of the 70+ million xbox 360 users, I can assure you 65 million can connect to the internet once every 24 hours, or at least, when they want to play their xbox, even it means coming online and then disconnecting again.

The Xbox One has taken a very sour turn, other than, to put it bluntly, all is happening is a TU, I cant see why so much stick has been delivered to a far more appropriate 8th gen console than the PS4, which basically is a more powerful PS3. The Xbox One delivered something special, a new way to incorporate hardcore, light, innovative gaming and friendship. With the games becoming increasingly more powerful and spectacular the console has now taken away the DRM implemented for developers and publishers to focus more on the games before release and equally as important for us consumers afterwards.

Another thing, looking at the exclusives and multiplatform games, it indicates to me the side the developers and publishers are on, after all they are the creators of these games. With more big named exclusives for Xbox than PS (Forza 5, DR3, Titanfall), along with more exclusive content being delivered on Xbox one, the early releases of content for CoD, which no-one SHOULD care about, but apparently still do, and BF4, which incidentally had exclusive early access for PS with BF3! As well as Fifa with its increasingly profitable UT getting an XBOX ONE exclusive (which has not been unveiled as of now). These developers are making games, to me, around the future of the ONE and not PS4, considering how many at E3 were shown as essentially online RPGs with Tablet and Kinect integration, baring that in mind, why then does Microsoft have to cater for the offline folk when the games are becoming online only, or at least major matchmaking and cloud powered gaming. With Forza's Driveatar ploughing the way we play singleplayer games, looking to eradicate the world of easy to predict or annoyingly perfect AI and replace with your friends driving intelligence, thus making "offline" gaming equally as fun as online gaming, but notice its using the cloud which you have to be connected to online to use. The Medium, a group who a friend linked to me on the internet, put up a brilliant article about this backtrack which I agree 100% with, technically not quoting the creator of FORD the car manufacturer; "If I listened to people I would have just built a faster horse instead of a car." This I believe is very appropriate to this U-turn by Microsoft.

So next time you think about the drawbacks of something, look at the potential as well, because although what you have now is brilliant, enjoyable and enticing, what you could have had, well, could have been something special, which we may not have for years to come...

While I agree in some ways, surely you can understand that if the system doesn't sell we ALL lose. And while you and I and some others (I'll refer to us as visionaries :wink: ) would have gladly bought into the new system, many wouldn't! Ideally the Xbox One would have been announced and released in a completely separate window to PS4, its the comparison that has hurt its credability. If it came out last year or next year things would be very different im sure!
Currambo 54

Postby SilentDark » 20 Jun 2013, 13:11

Thewhipidhinio wrote:

I did, family sharing didn't benefit me at all, the cloud still had too many unanswered questions, and the drawback was, at least to my mind, too much of a price to pay. To sacrifice my consumer rights was something I wasn't prepared to do. To pay £40 for something that the publishers could tell me where, when and how I could play it, trade it or lend it. That was something I wasn't prepared to deal with. You might have been fine with it, that's your choice, it just wouldn't be mine, and by the looks of things neither would a lot of other people. And if the machine doesn't sell then all these features would have died out by the next generation anyway.
You know, Hitler wasn't all bad, after all, he did kill Hitler.
SilentDark 65

Postby KillerByte » 20 Jun 2013, 13:15

People didn't want DRM but game sharing and that lot needed the DRM. You Win some but you lose some features
KillerByte 18

Postby Thewhipidhinio » 20 Jun 2013, 14:46

This is the thing! All the people that say "I wanna trade in WAAAAA!" ITS THE SAME AS THE PS4. But like I said, nobody gives a FU#$. I just think anyone who hates on the Xbox one and its policies are, and i'm sorry, misinformed and blind of the future. Essentially they brought in Steam, arguably the biggest station on PC gaming for a community and console-esque hub, to the biggest and best selling console. Yet no-one understands that. Now, im not trying to win over people by saying "this is the console you want and need, its much better than the PS4!" No, I am trying to convey that although a small amount of people may actually be affected by this whole DRM thing, a lot of people are whining over nothing, and that the PS4 and One are lets face it, the same console with very similar designs. In fact the PS4 is more powerful technically, but the One has a better DVR and a better Kinect. Hence the price difference. A far more established online community and online service with LIVE, an already sturdy cloud integration, which will be better than PS4's version.

The information is out there, it was said at E3 and at the ONE reveal, and yet most people it seems are not intelligent enough to look at the facts, put the two consoles side by side, have a look at the specs, and console policies. THEN make their mind up. NO! Where the hell were you when they revealed all the innovative apple products that have controlled your life. If Apple had made the exact same console. At first people would have complained like they did with every Apple idea, then they would have bought one, because there is nothing as good or better. Just don't, don't ruin the future of gaming because you cant afford decent internet but can afford SKY etc. at extortionate prices. And before you people start defending "what happens if my internet goes or a storm hits, like a tornado" First of all, if your internet goes, you are going to want to restore that immediately, so you are probably going to be able to play for a whole day whilst its down, and the odds are it wont be down for no more than a week, that's basically a whole week without Xbox!? That's like a holiday to most people, or a LIFE. Now if a storm hits or a tornado, like in Yank land. Guess what? Your first concern wont be " I cant play offline!!" NO! It will be, is my family and friends ok, how about my possessions, how about my HOUSE, where can I live till the power is restored! News flash, you need electricity first and food and water, before you can play on LIVE!.

Great at first it was all the idiots crying about a brilliant console, now its the forsighted people like me, that have to wait 5 years for some people to learn how to walk on two legs. FFS!
Thewhipidhinio 20

Next