to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Bethesda tackles "unrealistic" Fallout 4 requests - "these a

Your comments on our articles.

"Folks need to understand that we have a very certain way of going about things."

Bethesda's Pete Hines has cautioned fans to go easy on the old Fallout 4 drum, telling Polygon that worlds as vast and content-packed as the Capital Wasteland don't exactly grow on trees.... read more

Bethesda tackles "unrealistic" Fallout 4 requests - "these a

Postby Bezza89 » 20 Jun 2013, 11:42

A bit of frivolous arithmetic: Fallout: New Vegas hit shelves in 2010, so if Hines is on the money with his "six or seven years" thing, we can expect the next Fallout before 2017. Excellent.

Ah but, Obsidian did that one, surely we should use Fallout 3 in 2008, or Skyrims 2011 release to compare dates that mean nothing? And throw in Oblivion 2006. Then we can say it takes 2-3 years to release a game from Bethesda, whilst assuming they have half teams doing expansions and stuff. So 2014 at the latest, you can quote me on that. :wink:
...and if you tell that to the kids of today, they wont believe you!
Bezza89 68

Re: Bethesda tackles "unrealistic" Fallout 4 requests - "the

Postby Metalrodent » 20 Jun 2013, 11:48

this is fair enough, anyway - people are still playing and discovering new things in 3 and NV
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 71

Postby CunningSmile » 20 Jun 2013, 11:57

Hopefully they are spending some of that 7 years designing a new engine that can cope with next gen consoles because the one they have is basically 10 years old and showing the strain. Even the Skyrim one (as impressive as it looked) was just a tweaked version and the longer you spend wandering round a game the more chance you get to see where the cracks have been papered over.
I dream of a world in which a chicken can cross the road without someone questioning his motives
CunningSmile 72
OXM Moderator

Postby Grummy » 20 Jun 2013, 14:01

CunningSmile wrote:Hopefully they are spending some of that 7 years designing a new engine that can cope with next gen consoles because the one they have is basically 10 years old and showing the strain. Even the Skyrim one (as impressive as it looked) was just a tweaked version and the longer you spend wandering round a game the more chance you get to see where the cracks have been papered over.

Consoles that are only slightly better than what we have now and offer nothing exciting or innovative to shake up the gaming industry you mean?
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 66
OXM Moderator

Postby vadersmyfather » 20 Jun 2013, 14:10

Grummy wrote:
CunningSmile wrote:Hopefully they are spending some of that 7 years designing a new engine that can cope with next gen consoles because the one they have is basically 10 years old and showing the strain. Even the Skyrim one (as impressive as it looked) was just a tweaked version and the longer you spend wandering round a game the more chance you get to see where the cracks have been papered over.

Consoles that are only slightly better than what we have now and offer nothing exciting or innovative to shake up the gaming industry you mean?

To be fair, the consoles are (apparently) many times more powerful than current gen, and in terms of the XBO appears to offer superior Kinect functionality and also, at some point, illumiroom.
I cnduo't bvleiee taht I culod aulaclty uesdtannrd waht I was rdnaieg. Unisg the icndeblire pweor of the hmuan mnid it dseno't mttaer the oderr the lterets in a wrod are, the olny irpoamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer are in the rhgit pclae.
vadersmyfather 47

Postby Insaneyokel » 20 Jun 2013, 17:42

To be honest I am re enjoying the fallout games on the 360 so I can be patient for a little longer, but not much longer :D
Twitter: @RMRedmanAuthor
Gamertag: RONA79
Insaneyokel 47

Postby TwinStripeUK » 20 Jun 2013, 20:43

I loved Oblivion (but it became a bit of a grind in parts) and still do
I loved Fallout 3 (but it stopped offering anything new once you'd completed the main and side quests) and still do
I loved Fallout NV (despite it STILL being riddled with bugs to this day and still do
I loved Skyrim (despite the DLC drying up after a meagre 3 add-ons, one of which didn't really count) and still do
I know I'm going to love TESO and it'll be running pretty much constantly on my XBO when I get one.
I will love Fallout 4, because I know they won't rush it and if the latter two are anything to go by, it'll be well worth however long the wait is.

Patience, people, the best things take time...
TwinStripeUK 19

Postby Maximus T » 20 Jun 2013, 22:06

vadersmyfather wrote:To be fair, the consoles are (apparently) many times more powerful than current gen, and in terms of the XBO appears to offer superior Kinect functionality and also, at some point, illumiroom.

Golly I forgot about Illumiroom! And is it just me that considers a device that throws light about to be more gimmicky than a device which offers you a completely different style of gameplay?
A benzene ring changes everything.
Join the OXM Gamerscore league on True Achievements!Click here!
Maximus T 68

Postby CR33D » 22 Jun 2013, 15:33

Fallout is one of my favorite game series, Something about the wasteland that keeps bringing you back. But i feel Fallout is made for Co-op Just playing it you can imagine having a buddy with you Running round killing the legion. Now with the Xbox One i hope we can get co-op added, Questlines could only be accepted by host and if the player kills someone in your world load it back. It's your fault if you didn't save. :D

Cum divites paupermen qui bellum gerunt suus moriatur...
CR33D 28

Postby Grummy » 22 Jun 2013, 17:17

CR33D wrote:Fallout is one of my favorite game series, Something about the wasteland that keeps bringing you back. But i feel Fallout is made for Co-op Just playing it you can imagine having a buddy with you Running round killing the legion. Now with the Xbox One i hope we can get co-op added, Questlines could only be accepted by host and if the player kills someone in your world load it back. It's your fault if you didn't save. :D

No. Just, no. Bethesda games thrive on their 'One man who saves the universe' story, it wouldn't work if it was 'One man, plus his mate from the pub'. It stops being a Bethesda game and starts being a Simon Pegg/Nick Frost movie.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 66
OXM Moderator

Postby CunningSmile » 22 Jun 2013, 17:25

Are you saying you wouldn't play a nick frost/Simon Pegg game Grummy? :wink:
I dream of a world in which a chicken can cross the road without someone questioning his motives
CunningSmile 72
OXM Moderator

Postby Grummy » 22 Jun 2013, 19:55

CunningSmile wrote:Are you saying you wouldn't play a nick frost/Simon Pegg game Grummy? :wink:

Only if it was an update for State of Decay.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 66
OXM Moderator

Postby CR33D » 22 Jun 2013, 22:24

Grummy wrote:
CR33D wrote:Fallout is one of my favorite game series, Something about the wasteland that keeps bringing you back. But i feel Fallout is made for Co-op Just playing it you can imagine having a buddy with you Running round killing the legion. Now with the Xbox One i hope we can get co-op added, Questlines could only be accepted by host and if the player kills someone in your world load it back. It's your fault if you didn't save. :D

No. Just, no. Bethesda games thrive on their 'One man who saves the universe' story, it wouldn't work if it was 'One man, plus his mate from the pub'. It stops being a Bethesda game and starts being a Simon Pegg/Nick Frost movie.

I don't want full Co-Op with story, Just maybe the ability to enter someones world and take control of the NPC that you can have follow you. (Boone/Clover) And they wouldn't be in the story at all like fable III.(But then again in Fable III You just felt like a useless player to help in battles that could be won with tapping B anyway) I love listening to the radio on the pipboy while walking the wasteland with that "alone" feeling and i understand how adding multiplayer would ruin that though,

Cum divites paupermen qui bellum gerunt suus moriatur...
CR33D 28

Postby JohnsonL » 26 Jul 2013, 11:10

I can't blame anyone, fans simply cannot wait any longer and they've been itching to play this series but for me I can surely wait as long as they would be able to give us superb and unconventional Fallout 4. I understand that it's in rigorous post-production stage; examining their games from all angles. As they say 'patients is a virtue'.... :roll:
JohnsonL 2

Postby Grummy » 26 Jul 2013, 16:44

JohnsonL wrote:I can't blame anyone, fans simply cannot wait any longer and they've been itching to play this series but for me I can surely wait as long as they would be able to give us superb and unconventional Fallout 4. I understand that it's in rigorous post-production stage; examining their games from all angles. As they say 'patients is a virtue'.... :roll:

Rigorous post-production stage? Really What evidence of that do you have pray tell?

Oh, I also deleted your link, we don't allow self promotions and links to personal sites here.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 66
OXM Moderator

Next