to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Xbox One's U-turn on online DRM - key developers and retaile

Your comments on our articles.

Thoughts from TIGA, Green Man Gaming, BAFTA and Oddworld reps

Microsoft's decision to drop Xbox One's game licensing policies - and thus, allow next generation Xbox games to be traded, rented, loaned and given away without restriction - has been met with wide applause. Not everybody's pleased, however. A portion of players mourn the loss of the online sharing features (including the 10-family-member scheme) Xbox One's DRM was designed to enable; others feel Microsoft has merely postponed the console market's inevitable transition to digital licensing models.... read more

Xbox One's U-turn on online DRM - key developers and retaile

Postby SilentDark » 20 Jun 2013, 12:28

At the end of the day many hardcore dislike what was attempted. You can't do well in that space with many of your core unhappy. Especially when users have a choice. The nature of capitalism encourages competition and Sony played into that.

Like MS wouldn't have done the same if the situation was reversed. All companies use "the nature of capitalism" to try and get their products to be the biggest seller, it's just the way business is. MS could have made this work if they were less smug and arrogant about the whole thing. As it is they got cut down to size and that, Cliffy, is a good thing because when they try to sell us on this down the road again, maybe they'll behave in a manner more appropriate in future.
"When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say."
SilentDark 66

Re: Xbox One's U-turn on online DRM - key developers and ret

Postby msbhvn » 20 Jun 2013, 13:04

I think MS can salvage this situation by making digital purchases more attractive. As it stands, the standard edition (mostly without any bonus DLC or Online Pass) of a game can be upwards of £50 on Games on Demand six months after release, which is unacceptable. Skyrim was still £60 over a year after it came out.

MS have committed to having digital versions of games on release day for Xbox One. If they add pre-loading of games, so they're playable at 12:01am, and keep all the bonuses for pre-ordering and special editions while enabling sharing of games to other consoles, then they can achieve the eventual phasing out of physical media. They'll also have to keep the prices on par with the average retailer, too.

A lot of MS's policies were too much, too soon for a market that has largely ignored what's been happening in PC gaming.
The new first law of the internet: For every action, there is an irrational and disproportionate social media overreaction.
msbhvn 69

Postby Plamsa wing » 20 Jun 2013, 13:10

Really want Microsoft to allow self publishing, I want Oddworld damn it! :cry: Every day that passes without it feels like my bits are in a vice.
I spilled flour in my uncle's kitchen, now I've got a croissant.
Plamsa wing 57

Postby Grummy » 20 Jun 2013, 13:36

I'm questioning the point of next gen now. Xbox One was the only good option for me as it was the only one to offer advancement, Slightly shinier graphics and slightly bigger worlds aren't a good enough reason to buy a next gen console. I'm happy for those narrow minded Luddites who just wanted that, great, go buy a PS4, but the One was the only real option for anyone who was forward thinking and hoping for new and very real advancements in the industry.

If I could get a message to Don Mattrick, it would read "You Have Made A Huge Mistake". I've moved from a definite early adopter of the new Xbox to possibly not bothering with the next gen at all.

Microsoft sold out.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 67
OXM Moderator

Postby Lex244 » 20 Jun 2013, 14:37

Grummy wrote:I'm questioning the point of next gen now. Xbox One was the only good option for me as it was the only one to offer advancement, Slightly shinier graphics and slightly bigger worlds aren't a good enough reason to buy a next gen console. I'm happy for those narrow minded Luddites who just wanted that, great, go buy a PS4, but the One was the only real option for anyone who was forward thinking and hoping for new and very real advancements in the industry.

If I could get a message to Don Mattrick, it would read "You Have Made A Huge Mistake". I've moved from a definite early adopter of the new Xbox to possibly not bothering with the next gen at all.

Microsoft sold out.

I agree with you. They should have just add a offline mode/function that need to have the disc in the disc drive to play. I was really looking forward for the new functionality.
Lex244 3

Postby CunningSmile » 20 Jun 2013, 14:42

Grummy wrote:I'm questioning the point of next gen now. Xbox One was the only good option for me as it was the only one to offer advancement, Slightly shinier graphics and slightly bigger worlds aren't a good enough reason to buy a next gen console. I'm happy for those narrow minded Luddites who just wanted that, great, go buy a PS4, but the One was the only real option for anyone who was forward thinking and hoping for new and very real advancements in the industry.

Microsoft sold out.

Snap. I'm going to still pick up a One at some point because at least MS seem to have an idea for the future and can add this stuff back in, but my pre-order is looking a lot more tenuous (ironic really as lack of preorders was one thing MS said influenced this decision)
"Jar Jar, you're a genius"
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator

Postby vadersmyfather » 20 Jun 2013, 14:45

The Daily Mail reported that "Microsoft had planned to allow customers to "trade" downloaded games online in exchange for money off new titles". I wasn't aware of that?
I cnduo't bvleiee taht I culod aulaclty uesdtannrd waht I was rdnaieg. Unisg the icndeblire pweor of the hmuan mnid it dseno't mttaer the oderr the lterets in a wrod are, the olny irpoamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer are in the rhgit pclae.
vadersmyfather 48

Postby OXM ETboy » 20 Jun 2013, 14:49

vadersmyfather wrote:The Daily Mail reported that "Microsoft had planned to allow customers to "trade" downloaded games online in exchange for money off new titles". I wasn't aware of that?

Hmm. Link?
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby Grummy » 20 Jun 2013, 14:52

OXM ETboy wrote:
vadersmyfather wrote:The Daily Mail reported that "Microsoft had planned to allow customers to "trade" downloaded games online in exchange for money off new titles". I wasn't aware of that?

Hmm. Link?

It's the daily mail, you'll have to rummage through their arses to find that link, because that's probably where they pulled it from in the first place.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 67
OXM Moderator

Postby vadersmyfather » 20 Jun 2013, 14:52

OXM ETboy wrote:

Hmm. Link?

Sorry, I meant the beeb....http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22980973

Don't know if there's anything in that or they are just misunderstanding.
I cnduo't bvleiee taht I culod aulaclty uesdtannrd waht I was rdnaieg. Unisg the icndeblire pweor of the hmuan mnid it dseno't mttaer the oderr the lterets in a wrod are, the olny irpoamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer are in the rhgit pclae.
vadersmyfather 48

Postby Martythemerc » 20 Jun 2013, 15:39

It's commendable on some level that Redmond back-tracked on their bit about trading Disked games, and "being on", but other issues will continue to haunt the experience such as, having to have Kinect - hooked up, and cloud trading remains the same, backwards compatibility issues require you to keep your 360 if you want to keep your library of old games, and have the new One as well. (If that's what your plan is).

I wrote a while back that Redmond likely never consulted average users, but listened to product developers, system architects, and marketers, and yesterday's announcement confirmed that. Since Vista, they've been reactive to their customers, not proactive - cleaning up mistakes that should not have been mistakes just by listening to their core users.

I'm wary, very wary now that in a few years when they come out with Xbox One-Point-Two, the sales will be "good enough" to back-track once more. I've been a long standing user of the 360 with no complaints, but I think I'll still give Sony a go this time especially if I have to have TWO machines.
Martythemerc 9

Postby OXM ETboy » 20 Jun 2013, 15:41

vadersmyfather wrote:Sorry, I meant the beeb....http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22980973

I've asked the author about his source. AFAIK, Microsoft said they'd consider such a system along with a bunch of others, but never announced any actual plans for it. Cheers for the heads-up.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby vadersmyfather » 20 Jun 2013, 15:43

OXM ETboy wrote:
vadersmyfather wrote:Sorry, I meant the beeb....http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22980973

I've asked the author about his source. AFAIK, Microsoft said they'd consider such a system along with a bunch of others, but never announced any actual plans for it. Cheers for the heads-up.

I've also seen it reported that...

"Originally, Microsoft was going to allow you to transfer your digital license to someone who has been on your friend list for 30 days. This essentially meant that you'd be able to trade games with friends online."

I wonder if it's the "trade" part that is getting confused?
vadersmyfather 48

Postby Decent_Jam » 20 Jun 2013, 18:05

It seems to me that MS took 10 steps down the road in their original plans and because of the pressure have been forced to take nine steps back, because they didn't signpost the way properly so that gamers and consumers could follow them without getting lost.
Decent_Jam

Game: GT - "Decent Jam"
Tweet: @James_Parry
Email: jamesmparry87@gmail.com
Site - This Is Entertainment: http://jamesmparry.wordpress.com/

Playing : Destiny, TF, Forza 5, KI - head to OXM Nights to meet up.
Decent_Jam 62

Postby Maximus T » 20 Jun 2013, 18:21

While I want to agree that the DRM removal was a good move, I can't help but feel that I agree more with what Grummy and CliffyB have said. I was happy to get the ONE with the DRM, and without those changes it is pretty much just another 360. Now imagine that there were no next-gen consoles. In this case, what Cliff said would almost certainly apply, and if the ONE is going to continue that path, then Cliff will most likely be correct.
This signature is so amazing, you get a +1 morale boost just for reading it.
Join the OXM Gamerscore league on True Achievements!Click here!
Maximus T 70

Next