to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

GAME responds to Xbox One DRM reversal - impressed by "the s

Your comments on our articles.

It's "great news for gamers around the globe and the industry as a whole"

UK retailers GAME has joined GameStop in applauding Microsoft's DRM and always-online policy reversals, which mean that customers will be able to buy, play, and resell their Xbox One disc-based games exactly as they do on the Xbox 360.... read more

Postby squirrelofDoom » 20 Jun 2013, 16:16

I'm not sure it benefits the industry as a whole. but it looks like its helping shift the X1, which is the point. All hail Xbone and all who sail her.
squirrelofDoom 25

Postby Guilty Sparks » 20 Jun 2013, 16:19

More of these articles... As if Cunning's blood pressure wasn't high enough with Gamestops announcement. :lol:
Oracle? Great Journey? Why do you meddlers insist on using such inaccurate verbiage?
Guilty Sparks 37

Re: GAME responds to Xbox One DRM reversal - impressed by "t

Postby CunningSmile » 20 Jun 2013, 16:20

Guilty Sparks wrote:More of these articles... As if Cunning's blood pressure wasn't high enough with Gamestops announcement. :lol:

You just want to see me melt down don't you? I thought you were my friend :P
Confirmation Bias is a bad thing, I've read a book that agreed with me about that
CunningSmile 71
OXM Moderator

Postby msbhvn » 20 Jun 2013, 16:21

Translation: "It's great news for our shareholders and we can keep all our stores at 90% pre-owned stock".
#SaveOXM
msbhvn 68

Postby Sharnofthedead » 20 Jun 2013, 16:24

Any reason to buy an Xbox One just died with the removal of DRM

Booting games from the hard drive, Steam based sales and game sharing (Which was an awesome idea), for what? So we can trade in as much as we like? Yeah enjoy buying £60 games and get a £10 for them in 3 weeks go consumer rights! Is that what what we wanted? there's nothing next Gen about this, it's An Xbox 360 with better graphics, priced at £430

I never thought in a million years they'd pussy out! People have refused to see the bigger picture, believe me, to begin with I didn't see it, I was against the whole thing too, but once I understood it, I was happy. Now they do this!

SO ANNOYED! ugh.

Guess I'll have to wait another 10 years for any sort of innovation, well done internet trolls you screwed us all over.
Sharnofthedead 2

Postby Martythemerc » 20 Jun 2013, 16:33

Since its inception, the gaming crowd has always been "renegade" - free open market, swap 'n shop, trade and share your games like like trading comic books or hockey cards (yes, I'm from Canada) without the care of violating any copywriter laws, so this original decree by M$ was going to put a stop to all that, thus locking up what was a traditional practice, and shutting down legal stores like EB Games from selling, or rather, dampening the trade in used games that a good chunk of the gaming crowd relies on. "The man" (Microsoft) was locking out and locking down what their core users are/were. That was/is the problem.
Martythemerc 9

Postby Ciaran Hillock » 20 Jun 2013, 16:48

If they really valued their customers they would have never pulled any of that shit, also Game's only saying that so it can stay afloat even though all their pre-owned prices are terrible
Ciaran Hillock 9

Postby SilentDark » 20 Jun 2013, 17:00

Yes, it is great news for gamers, since trade in are no longer limited to "preferred retailers" (read GAME) I can now trade in games at places where I won't get ripped off, so if I get an xbox one I'll never be required to do business with GAME, and that is now a good thing :)
You know, Hitler wasn't all bad, after all, he did kill Hitler.
SilentDark 64

Postby Bugsquat » 20 Jun 2013, 17:07

Sharnofthedead wrote:Any reason to buy an Xbox One just died with the removal of DRM

Booting games from the hard drive, Steam based sales and game sharing (Which was an awesome idea), for what? So we can trade in as much as we like? Yeah enjoy buying £60 games and get a £10 for them in 3 weeks go consumer rights! Is that what what we wanted? there's nothing next Gen about this, it's An Xbox 360 with better graphics, priced at £430

I never thought in a million years they'd pussy out! People have refused to see the bigger picture, believe me, to begin with I didn't see it, I was against the whole thing too, but once I understood it, I was happy. Now they do this!

SO ANNOYED! ugh.

Guess I'll have to wait another 10 years for any sort of innovation, well done internet trolls you screwed us all over.

I think that the problem was that Microsoft's goal with the One was to try and straddle the fence between physical and digital copies of games, but they just ended up getting a rather painful fence up their butts.

I think that their policies would have gone down a little better if they had given the gaming community a bit more notice of what they planned to do, rather than coming out with all of these new, largely alien ideas at once (which weren't helped by their awful handling of public relations post-reveal - they have only themselves to blame for much of the earlier negativity.)

At least now the community is aware that Microsoft intends to go full-digital, if not later in this generation of consoles then certainly the next one. Now that we know that this will be our final round of disc-based games, maybe the transition will be a touch easier next time.
The way of life is the posture of a tree; rigid trunk for structured and directed childhood, followed by open branches - life choices. Some branches take one higher than others, and some split many times. But never forget...Every branch bears a leaf.
Bugsquat 31

Postby Martythemerc » 20 Jun 2013, 17:15

Bugsquat wrote:
Sharnofthedead wrote:Any reason to buy an Xbox One just died with the removal of DRM

SO ANNOYED! ugh.

I think that the problem was that Microsoft's goal with the One was to try and straddle the fence between physical and digital copies of games, but they just ended up getting a rather painful fence up their butts.

I think that their policies would have gone down a little better if they had given the gaming community a bit more notice of what they planned to do, rather than coming out with all of these new, largely alien ideas at once (which weren't helped by their awful handling of public relations post-reveal - they have only themselves to blame for much of the earlier negativity.)

At least now the community is aware that Microsoft intends to go full-digital, if not later in this generation of consoles then certainly the next one. Now that we know that this will be our final round of disc-based games, maybe the transition will be a touch easier next time.

Yes, we'll put. It all harkins to the digital presence of the e-books and newspaper. I read Kobo now instead of physical books, BUT the option is always there to have and "own" my own copy to loan to someone else, even though it's technically illegal, but there's no way to enforce it. I can't with a Kobo book.
Martythemerc 9

Postby Grummy » 20 Jun 2013, 18:24

f**k you Game.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 66
OXM Moderator

Postby KernowDevil23 » 20 Jun 2013, 18:58

Blaming Game, Gamestop and the plethora of consumers who complained about the MS DRM issue is a little far off the mark in my eyes.

The blame lies solely at the feet of Microsoft for all of this. Let's just say (hyperthetically) that MS had a decent set of executives who had great PR skills. These admitedly great ideas that have now been recinded should have been dressed up in a much prettier dress!

It was a really great bunch of ideas but they were delivered on the end of a shit stick to consumers. As I've said time and time again, the idealism behind it all seemed to be fine to me (apart from the rental issue). It's a real shame for the industry that MS couldn't express themselves properly.
I don't care if a game is "the same every year." So is pizza. Stop buying the bad pizza. Buy the good pizza.
KernowDevil23 56

Postby Grummy » 20 Jun 2013, 19:28

KernowDevil23 wrote:Blaming Game, Gamestop and the plethora of consumers who complained about the MS DRM issue is a little far off the mark in my eyes.

The blame lies solely at the feet of Microsoft for all of this. Let's just say (hyperthetically) that MS had a decent set of executives who had great PR skills. These admitedly great ideas that have now been recinded should have been dressed up in a much prettier dress!

It was a really great bunch of ideas but they were delivered on the end of a shit stick to consumers. As I've said time and time again, the idealism behind it all seemed to be fine to me (apart from the rental issue). It's a real shame for the industry that MS couldn't express themselves properly.

That's not the problem with the retailers, it's their smug as shit 'this is what we wanted for the consumers' attitude when they're equally as guilty, if not more so, than the industry for only caring about their profits.

It's also not about them being directly responsible for this (yes I said it previously, but I was really pissed off and was venting, they're not directly responsible, but certainly a major factor indirectly), the problem is that for years they've held a dominant position that has hindered progress for the industry, throwing out roadblocks at every step to prevent the digital age from happening. I can understand why, the digital age will ruin the high street retailers if they don't adapt somehow. Instead of fighting the digital age, they should have been giving the industry a reason to keep up with the disc based gaming, finding a way to benefit everyone, gamers, retailers and the games industry, but they're not doing that. It's a constant fight and the only losers are the us, the gamers. The PC market has survived comfortably with both disc and digital, with digital being the larger share, the same could have happened here except the share be different, if the retailers had seen it through, had had enough foresight to see the changing trends in the industry. As it is, there is going to be a long fight between the industry and the retailers which the industry will win because even though MS have taken such a large step back, they still see this future and are sure as shit to filter this stuff back in, drip feed the digital age to gamers this generation. If they're smart, they'll be pushing digital strongly now, making the gamers see how digital is far more attractive than holding your own copy of a game. Even Sony, there is no way they didn't see this change coming, they were just much smarter to not try and force it on people from the off.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 66
OXM Moderator

Postby KernowDevil23 » 20 Jun 2013, 19:37

Grummy wrote:Even Sony, there is no way they didn't see this change coming, they were just much smarter to not try and force it on people from the off.

Exactly.

If MS put this whole propostion across to the public properly, I'm sure most of us are intelligent enough to realise it's by far and away the best way forward.

It would not surprise me one little bit if Sony execs are sat back picking the bones out of all this and decide to pick the most popular features and implement them in the PS4 at some point because A LOT of the ideas MS have shown off (even if they were badly shown off), are great!
I don't care if a game is "the same every year." So is pizza. Stop buying the bad pizza. Buy the good pizza.
KernowDevil23 56

Postby Grummy » 20 Jun 2013, 19:48

Somehow, I don't know how, but somehow, some way I'll figure out how this is all Ed's fault.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 66
OXM Moderator

Next