to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Bleszinski: Bad "handling" killed Xbox One's DRM, not bad id

Your comments on our articles.

"Microsoft tried to and ultimately couldn't have it both ways."

He's already taken on the internet over used games and digital licensing via Twitter - now, Gears of War co-creator Cliff Bleszinski has written up a lengthy blog to fully explain his thoughts on "this whole debacle," offering a "more surgical explanation behind some of my more...inflammatory posts on Twitter."... read more

Bleszinski: Bad "handling" killed Xbox One's DRM, not bad id

Postby AllusiveTurtle » 21 Jun 2013, 11:16

Good old Cliff, he often shoots from the hip and occasionally makes sense - and this is one of those rare occasions!

I have a huge collection of games (361 360 games and counting, which is far more than I really need, but I'm a hoarder and a collector with impulsive tendencies :oops: ), but I for one would gladly switch to digital if the games were actually cheaper than the physical product (the pricing of Games on Demand is mostly laughable), and if I could also treat my digital games in the same manner as I can the physical ones, i.e. sell, loan etc. (and yes I know we're not supposed to, but we all do!)*.

*Damn that's a lot of brackets! :roll:
AllusiveTurtle 44

Re: Bleszinski: Bad "handling" killed Xbox One's DRM, not ba

Postby vadersmyfather » 21 Jun 2013, 11:24

He can't help but stick his oar in can he.
I cnduo't bvleiee taht I culod aulaclty uesdtannrd waht I was rdnaieg. Unisg the icndeblire pweor of the hmuan mnid it dseno't mttaer the oderr the lterets in a wrod are, the olny irpoamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer are in the rhgit pclae.
vadersmyfather 46

Postby edragon » 21 Jun 2013, 11:42

PLEASE can you do for all of us favor and stop publishing old grumpy dumb Cliff opinions what he posting his twitter feed! He is old whining loser who do not know how to make good games. Do anyone know any good games from Epic Games last 10 years? No, GOW is not good! That's why people reselling very fast GOW! He wants get money for bad games and thats he whining and accusing gamers. Make better games with cheaper prices, then gamers do not sell your games!
edragon 19

Postby squirrelofDoom » 21 Jun 2013, 11:55

edragon wrote:PLEASE can you do for all of us favor and stop publishing old grumpy dumb Cliff opinions what he posting his twitter feed! He is old whining loser who do not know how to make good games. Do anyone know any good games from Epic Games last 10 years? No, GOW is not good! That's why people reselling very fast GOW! He wants get money for bad games and thats he whining and accusing gamers. Make better games with cheaper prices, then gamers do not sell your games!

Gears of war is good, one the best franchises I've played. guess what, that's called an opinion, which is the reasons we've got forums. Cliff's opinions are solid and true, the industry has to change if its to survive. It's people who say something's bad because they don't like it that irk me, everyone has different tastes.
squirrelofDoom 24

Postby Guilty Sparks » 21 Jun 2013, 12:07

edragon wrote:PLEASE can you do for all of us favor and stop publishing old grumpy dumb Cliff opinions what he posting his twitter feed! He is old whining loser who do not know how to make good games. Do anyone know any good games from Epic Games last 10 years? No, GOW is not good! That's why people reselling very fast GOW! He wants get money for bad games and thats he whining and accusing gamers. Make better games with cheaper prices, then gamers do not sell your games!

Each one of the games in the Gears of War series has a review score of 8.5/10 or above, they are an accomplished studio that have had deserved success over the past decade, not only do they create great games, they are the company that created the Unreal engine, which countless games run on.

How do you know that people sell any of their games soon after their release ? Unsubstantiated bullshit is what you are spouting and its embarrassing.

I don't know where you one post trolls have appeared from lately but kindly return to your bridge and don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Oracle? Great Journey? Why do you meddlers insist on using such inaccurate verbiage?
Guilty Sparks 37

Postby Thos. » 21 Jun 2013, 12:13

I completely agree with the last part - the shift to digital will happen automatically if Microsoft use a tasty carrot rather than a electrified, barbed wire-wrapped stick.

However, regarding selling your games, I fully agree with Nintendo: "If devs are worried about used game sales, they should make better games"

http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/13/442633 ... tter-games

Also I've read repeatedly that almost all developers have no problem with used game sales ('Cliffy' being a notable exception)
Thos. 43

Postby AllusiveTurtle » 21 Jun 2013, 12:36

Guilty Sparks wrote:I don't know where you one post trolls have appeared from lately but kindly return to your bridge and don't let the door hit you on the way out.

I have to admit, that in recent times there has been a noticeable drop in the generally high standards of entries on these forums. There appears to have been a recent crop of comments that suffer from the inability to string proper sentences together, without understanding the order in which words should be placed, and indeed utilising entirely the wrong words to wit! Still, it's testing my aging brain as I attempt to understand what the hell they're saying! :roll:
AllusiveTurtle 44

Postby vadersmyfather » 21 Jun 2013, 12:39

AllusiveTurtle wrote:There appears to have been a recent crop of comments that suffer from the inability to string proper sentences together, without understanding the order in which words should be placed, and indeed utilising entirely the wrong words to wit! Still, it's testing my aging brain as I attempt to understand what the hell they're saying! :roll:

U R clearly 2 old, d prob iz txt messages. My brain hrtz jst writin dis stuff.
I cnduo't bvleiee taht I culod aulaclty uesdtannrd waht I was rdnaieg. Unisg the icndeblire pweor of the hmuan mnid it dseno't mttaer the oderr the lterets in a wrod are, the olny irpoamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer are in the rhgit pclae.
vadersmyfather 46

Postby s17pur » 21 Jun 2013, 12:59

There's a real opportunity for Microsoft to continue to push digital by dropping the price for their 1st party titles when bought digitally as opposed to at retail, whilst also publicising the benefits of the digital copies (fast-swtiching, accessing your online catalogue anywhere, etc.). I suspect that they will also implement some sort of digital sharing, though probably not as in-depth as the purported family-sharing system, in the not-too-distant future. I would love to be able to buy all of my games digitally, but I'm not going to pay more in order to do so.
s17pur 19

Postby fracturedrich » 21 Jun 2013, 14:43

U R clearly 2 old, d prob iz txt messages. My brain hrtz jst writin dis stuff.[/quote]
GR8 M8
fracturedrich 46

Postby No47 » 21 Jun 2013, 16:11

Another douche bag who think's he's God's gift in the video games industry. :roll:

Or how he puts it, " The Tony Stark of the games industry". How much up your own arse can you get?

DRM overall is a bad idea when it comes to video game consoles, mainly for the offline aspect. It also wouldn't have mattered if the Xbox One didn't come with a disc drive, the general public and games media would have still blasted Microsoft on digital only gaming in general.

The pre-owned market is huge and it will be around for years to come yet, as most people prefer physical media to that of digital. Game Publishers need to come up with a better system than simply DRM, as i also don't like the the pre-owned market in terms of loss sales to the gaming industry.

Companies the likes of Game my my blood boil with their pre-owned over new games policies, and should be by law made to pay 50% of their pre-owned game sales to the game publishers.

Yes, something has to be done about the pre-owned market to make it fairer for game publishers, but DRM is not the way.
No47 28

Postby Rista B » 21 Jun 2013, 16:15

s17pur wrote:There's a real opportunity for Microsoft to continue to push digital by dropping the price for their 1st party titles when bought digitally as opposed to at retail, whilst also publicising the benefits of the digital copies (fast-swtiching, accessing your online catalogue anywhere, etc.). I suspect that they will also implement some sort of digital sharing, though probably not as in-depth as the purported family-sharing system, in the not-too-distant future. I would love to be able to buy all of my games digitally, but I'm not going to pay more in order to do so.

There's been a lot of comments about the lousy pricing MS usually has in place for their GoD and how they should just cut the prices and I agree with that. But it is pretty obvious that MS cannot do that without making their customers (those pesky retailers) mad. I deal with large retailers on a regular basis. They do not like it when they see you as competing with them and if they spend tens of millions of dollars with you or more you cannot simply ignore their concerns. MS cannot drop the price on GoD below the normal marketplace price without losing space on retail shelves.

However, I do think they could do a much better job of matching marketplace price reductions so that they are more in line with the prices found in an etailer or on a store shelf. They could also do a better job of promotional pricing on DLC and reducing price on DLC that has been out for awhile. MS seems to be improving on this in the last few months but I still think they have a big opportunity here.
Rista B 13

Postby Chameleon » 21 Jun 2013, 16:27

No47 wrote:Another douche bag who thinks he's God's gift in the video games industry.

This may be true, but he occasionally makes sense. This is one of those times.

Digital Rights Management isn't necessarily bad, it just needs to be implemented properly, communicated properly, and have benefits to both parties - publisher/developer and the consumer. Belittling the entire theory does your arguments no good at all.

And 50% of pre-owned sales to go to the publisher? Write it into law? Are you out of your mind?

Frankly, I put your comments in the same league as CliffyB's usual rants - there's usually a valid point in there somewhere, it just gets lost in the rest of the shouting and other nonsense.
Chameleon 44

Postby CunningSmile » 21 Jun 2013, 16:29

No47 wrote:Companies the likes of Game my my blood boil with their pre-owned over new games policies, and should be by law made to pay 50% of their pre-owned game sales to the game publishers.

Yes, something has to be done about the pre-owned market to make it fairer for game publishers, but DRM is not the way.

That's exactly what this system was designed to do! However you need to have some way of tracking when a game has been traded so that cut can be taken and enforcing its payment. DRM is the only way of doing this unless you've got a better idea?
I miss my care free youth when my biggest concern was where to hide the latest body
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby No47 » 21 Jun 2013, 16:56

Chameleon wrote:
No47 wrote:Another douche bag who thinks he's God's gift in the video games industry.

This may be true, but he occasionally makes sense. This is one of those times.

Digital Rights Management isn't necessarily bad, it just needs to be implemented properly, communicated properly, and have benefits to both parties - publisher/developer and the consumer. Belittling the entire theory does your arguments no good at all.

And 50% of pre-owned sales to go to the publisher? Write it into law? Are you out of your mind?

Frankly, I put your comments in the same league as CliffyB's usual rants - there's usually a valid point in there somewhere, it just gets lost in the rest of the shouting and other nonsense.

This is my opinion on DRM in general, i don't like it on the PC as i don't think it works well at all. So to bring it to consoles?, come off it.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this issue.

Why not make it law for game retailers to give 50% of pre-owned sales to game publishers?, surely this would be best for both parties. Companies like Game who get exclusive editions of a particular game must have to pay for the rights of exclusive dlc, game exclusive packaging, items, etc.

DRM in general is widely disregarded/hated by people, and by recent events this goes to show.
No47 28

Next