to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Xbox One's original digital vision will happen, but it won't

Your comments on our articles.

It'll take a great game to persuade us that we need a connection

Dislike the idea of being required to connect to the internet in order to play a game? Bad news - you're around two or three years too late. Microsoft's proposal of and near-immediate retreat from Steam-esque, always-online game licensing on Xbox One may have brought matters to a head, but the expansion of connected entertainment to infest notionally "single player" gaming has been underway for some time - and the key movers here aren't, of course, manufacturers, but publishers and developers.... read more

Postby CunningSmile » 21 Jun 2013, 15:02

This is one of the things that's peeved me most about the whole "always online" backlash: This is an industry whose top selling titles are heavily focused on online MP, and (at least according to data from Acti and EA) only 5-10% of people buying titles like CoD and Battlefield finish the single player. That means almost by definition that the majority of people complaining about the One always being online ARE PEOPLE THAT ARE ALWAYS ONLINE WHEN THEY GAME!

They are complaining about something they would have done without thinking if MS hadn't pointed it out to them. If MS had kept schtum and just released the One, DRM intact, and let each title have a little note on the back saying "online connection is required to play" and we probably wouldn't have heard a squeek.
"Jar Jar, you're a genius"
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator

Re: Xbox One's original digital vision will happen, but it w

Postby Metalrodent » 21 Jun 2013, 15:05

The thing with the DRM is that I suspect many of the moaners didn't understand it - I would bet most of them never turn their modems off
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 71

Postby Guilty Sparks » 21 Jun 2013, 15:10

I'm still hoping that they will release another tier of XBL subscription that follows the original digital vision, at least then its down to the consumer to decide which of the subscriptions they want, it would enable them to gauge the actual numbers etc.

To be honest if they did this, i'd expect a huge uptake (If they get the pricing right on the digital games) to the point where it eventually phases out the existing silver/gold system.
Oracle? Great Journey? Why do you meddlers insist on using such inaccurate verbiage?
Guilty Sparks 37

Postby delpoi » 21 Jun 2013, 15:11

Good article I for one am angry that a lot of whiney gamers spoilt what could of been something great am not happy at the U turn that Microsoft has took, yes maybe they could of explained everything better so everyone wasn't up in arms but I think people don't see the big picture. When I found out I could get all my games digitally and share them with 10 people I was giddy and also the chance to trade in digitally for some discount on future purchases, everyone complained "Oh they are taking away my second hand games that's how I afford to play" well in actual fact if it was done all digitally you'd get the games cheap that's the whole point, no cost for manufacturing means savings for the consumer. Am for one not happy with the U turn on their idea but hey as long as its stops all the whiners....oh wait it hasn't?...there's a surprise :/
Am getting my day one edition of the X1 had it in place since before E3 amazon upgraded mine to day one edition cause they only announced it at E3 thought id add that so the trolls can't jump on it...but either way they were trying to bring us into the future the majority cried and look were basically stuck with the 360 model but better graphics good shout *slow golf clap*
I hope it gets changed over to digital sooner rather than later.
delpoi 41

Postby Davedogg2k5 » 21 Jun 2013, 15:14

There are a couple of problems with what's been happening over the past 10 days or so the first is that a company should not in general let the public decide company policy as it makes them look weak the next time round especially if the change tries to happen mid cycle and you get an exclusive AAA title that cant be got at retail the attitude is already there if we make enough noise we can change it. And yes the messaging was terrible but I could have lent games to my son who lives 200 miles away my cousin who lives 5000 miles away and most importantly I wouldn't have had to get off my fat butt to change the disc lol now I cant take advantage of the things I was looking forward to most
Davedogg2k5 3

Postby vadersmyfather » 21 Jun 2013, 15:15

Metalrodent wrote:The thing with the DRM is that I suspect many of the moaners didn't understand it - I would bet most of them never turn their modems off

I agree. But MS have to shoulder this because of their complete lack of coherent explanations. Most of us would consider ourselves 'in the know' being regulars here and we couldn't really work out the benefits.
I think the people in the flat above me are having sex...
Either that or they're sleeping restlessly and agreeing with each other a lot.
vadersmyfather 49

Postby Thos. » 21 Jun 2013, 15:18

The people complaining on the internet were those foresighted enough to speak on behalf of those millions of gamers who don't have a connection.

History is littered with devices that were ahead of their time for which the public, or infrastructure wasn't in place. Microsoft dodged a bullet.
Last edited by Thos. on 21 Jun 2013, 15:21, edited 1 time in total.
Thos. 46

Postby Thos. » 21 Jun 2013, 15:19

Davedogg2k5 wrote:I could have lent games to my son who lives 200 miles away my cousin who lives 5000 miles away

Actually "Family Sharing" has just been revealed as being a 1 hour demo before asking you to buy the game. You really think Microsoft would give away 9 free copies of every game sold?
Thos. 46

Postby SilentDark » 21 Jun 2013, 15:21

CunningSmile wrote:This is one of the things that's peeved me most about the whole "always online" backlash: This is an industry whose top selling titles are heavily focused on online MP, and (at least according to data from Acti and EA) only 5-10% of people buying titles like CoD and Battlefield finish the single player. That means almost by definition that the majority of people complaining about the One always being online ARE PEOPLE THAT ARE ALWAYS ONLINE WHEN THEY GAME!

They are complaining about something they would have done without thinking if MS hadn't pointed it out to them. If MS had kept schtum and just released the One, DRM intact, and let each title have a little note on the back saying "online connection is required to play" and we probably wouldn't have heard a squeek.

Alternatively MS would be in an even deeper hole because if they'd not announced the DRM then when the first buyers took it home and found out, not only would you have the backlash like there was now, but then people would be like "MS lied to me to force me to use DRM" I could see a few legal battles resulting if they'd tried that.

I don't really play games online, tried a bit of Resi 6 and Mass Effect 3 but on the whole I play single player almost exclusively and don't see why I should be connected to the internet to enjoy my single player games. Still they should have compromised between the two, kept things the same for disc based releases and add the family sharing and game switching features for GoD, then everybody would be happy and we'd see if digital really is the way forward.
"When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say."
SilentDark 67

Postby vadersmyfather » 21 Jun 2013, 15:22

Thos. wrote:Actually "Family Sharing" has just been revealed as being a 1 hour demo before asking you to buy the game.

I take the point, but I don't think we know that for sure.
Last edited by vadersmyfather on 21 Jun 2013, 15:25, edited 1 time in total.
I think the people in the flat above me are having sex...
Either that or they're sleeping restlessly and agreeing with each other a lot.
vadersmyfather 49

Postby Thos. » 21 Jun 2013, 15:24

vadersmyfather wrote:
Thos. wrote:Actually "Family Sharing" has just been revealed as being a 1 hour demo before asking you to buy the game.

I take the point, but I don't think we know that for sure.

And whose fault's that? ;)
Thos. 46

Postby Bezza89 » 21 Jun 2013, 15:44

I'm all for change, currently there's nothing making me want to get a next-gen console (I like the look of the division, I thought the other characters were NPCs, and if you get a group of friends going and it's like that then it would be ace), but everything that peaks my interest is stuff like I've just said, it's all online anyway. Why bother upgrading your console if it doesn't really do anything better? I have a PC so the graphics are fine for me, 360 will suffice - but I'm vary aware the online could be so much better.

Take defiance, it's a wonky game as has been said, but on next gen with the cloud? I could see games like that being great, no need for constant updates, it plays smoothly and looks great to boot (all mmos suffer graphically, not even 360 quality in defiance, but the game is very good so you forgive it, with next gen, you get that and better graphics helping the immersion).

But graphics aren't everything, and that's where the stories come in, with online games, they are so much more fun - take left for dead, you're not actually getting a story, but between your friends you're having a laugh, you're trying to help Sid out because Plasma and Yokel have run to tha choppa! without him. It's these unique stories that help make games that much more entertaining. I was very much against MMOs, then I had some fun on guild wars and defiance, I saw the benefits of L4D2 being only a MP game. If you're making the stories out of how your playing, it's that much more personal. There's still room for the single player game, but next gen to me is embracing something I never thought I'd think I wanted, online worlds.

I don't even have a good internet, but I'd get one just for it.
...and if you tell that to the kids of today, they wont believe you!
Bezza89 69

Postby CunningSmile » 21 Jun 2013, 16:03

Bezza89 wrote:But graphics aren't everything, and that's where the stories come in, with online games, they are so much more fun - take left for dead, you're not actually getting a story, but between your friends you're having a laugh, you're trying to help Sid out because Plasma and Yokel have run to tha choppa! without him. It's these unique stories that help make games that much more entertaining. I was very much against MMOs, then I had some fun on guild wars and defiance, I saw the benefits of L4D2 being only a MP game. If you're making the stories out of how your playing, it's that much more personal. There's still room for the single player game, but next gen to me is embracing something I never thought I'd think I wanted, online worlds.

I think that's a really good point; you need some sort of foot in the door in order to illustrate why people should go for this stuff. I've never really been an online MP sort and so MMOs have never really appealed to me, but if you point out that L4D is in many ways a chunk out of an MMO and all you really need is an interesting world to link up the bits between L4D 1 and 2 and I start to see where the enjoyment can be had.
"Jar Jar, you're a genius"
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator

Postby Fathom Unseen » 21 Jun 2013, 16:17

What's really a shocker is that IGN did a poll of who would now be purchasing an Xbox One after the changes, and 60% said they still weren't going to purchase one!! It's almost like Microsoft gave in to a group of people who had no intention of purchasing their system anyway. I myself like many of you, hope they offer some type of subscription based digital family plan.
Fathom Unseen 3

Postby Rista B » 21 Jun 2013, 16:53

CunningSmile wrote:This is one of the things that's peeved me most about the whole "always online" backlash: This is an industry whose top selling titles are heavily focused on online MP, and (at least according to data from Acti and EA) only 5-10% of people buying titles like CoD and Battlefield finish the single player. That means almost by definition that the majority of people complaining about the One always being online ARE PEOPLE THAT ARE ALWAYS ONLINE WHEN THEY GAME!

Agreed and if you go back to the Sony reveal event how much time did they spend touting their ability to "share" function and talking about connected social experiences? Um, that all requires people to be connected and yet about the only push back Sony got was "we don't care, just show us games".

I find the majority of responses on this by the people complaining most vociferously, including some of the hysteria found on other gaming sites by their "journalists" extremely hypocritical. If you are against online connectivity then you should be against it everywhere. Sony masterfully played the overwrought emotion on this issue.

We already live in a world where almost every electronic device can and does connect to the internet. MS's mistake seems to be telling people they were "required" to do it instead of just letting them doing it on their own.
Rista B 13

Next