State of Decay title update 2 will release next week - read

Your comments on our articles.

Now in certification testing, says Undead Labs

State of Decay title update 2 has been submitted to Microsoft for certification testing, developer Undead Labs has announced - expect it some time next week, all going to plan. Executive producer Jeff Strain has also released the final patch notes, which I've pasted below.... read more

Postby Bugsquat » 21 Jun 2013, 15:51

It's a bit odd, but I enjoy reading the lists of updates made to a game - it makes me appreciate how much work goes into making these games, that there can be so many little things that can become cracks which need to be papered over.
The way of life is the posture of a tree; rigid trunk for structured and directed childhood, followed by open branches - life choices. Some branches take one higher than others, and some split many times. But never forget...Every branch bears a leaf.
Bugsquat 31

Re: State of Decay title update 2 will release next week - r

Postby OXM ETboy » 21 Jun 2013, 15:52

I was literally just thinking that, Bugsquat.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby PCG The_B » 21 Jun 2013, 16:00

- Reduced frequency of "I brought you a pony..." line.

OHGODYESTHANKYOU
Ben Borthwick
The Blog | The Twit(ter)
PCG The_B 66

Postby Bugsquat » 21 Jun 2013, 16:10

OXM ETboy wrote:I was literally just thinking that, Bugsquat.

Great minds, eh?
The way of life is the posture of a tree; rigid trunk for structured and directed childhood, followed by open branches - life choices. Some branches take one higher than others, and some split many times. But never forget...Every branch bears a leaf.
Bugsquat 31

Postby danselmi13 » 21 Jun 2013, 22:31

All of these update are great and will help A LOT! But does anyone have an idea when they are coming out with multiplayer and/or co-op play?
-Dom
danselmi13 1

Postby Grummy » 21 Jun 2013, 23:00

danselmi13 wrote:All of these update are great and will help A LOT! But does anyone have an idea when they are coming out with multiplayer and/or co-op play?
-Dom

Not yet, they did say they wanted it and would work on it, but when it turns up? No idea. I think it will be after the survival game update though, because that would be a better game to play co-op than the story. I hope they add character creation to the survival game too, would be nice to be able to create a character that has as many abilities as wossname, the guy you start off as (I can't believe I've forgotten his name already). He has a lot more skills than anyone else, which makes him the best option to play as by default. Would be nice to be able to make my own character like that.

Add some kids to the game too, as I'd like to see new ambient missions added to the game where we have to rescue kids, would certainly add a new dimension to things, having to choose between saving one of your group or a defenceless kid. Tug at the old heartstrings a bit.

I'm VERY happy with the change from real time days/hours to game time. A far better way for these timers to work. One of the changes I personally really wanted to see.

I think they need to add in an end game scenario/event to the survival sim too. It's nice to just build your base up etc, but it serves very little purpose as you can do the story without ever moving as best as I can tell. Would be nice to have an end game scenario that fits in with the survival, no story, aspect.
One. Warrior. Nation.

"The PS4 reminds me of a Kit-Kat, and I like Kit-Kats" as spoken by the Hetty.
Grummy 67
OXM Moderator

Postby CR33D » 22 Jun 2013, 02:54

Grummy wrote:
danselmi13 wrote:All of these update are great and will help A LOT! But does anyone have an idea when they are coming out with multiplayer and/or co-op play?
-Dom

Not yet, they did say they wanted it and would work on it, but when it turns up? No idea. I think it will be after the survival game update though, because that would be a better game to play co-op than the story. I hope they add character creation to the survival game too, would be nice to be able to create a character that has as many abilities as wossname, the guy you start off as (I can't believe I've forgotten his name already). He has a lot more skills than anyone else, which makes him the best option to play as by default. Would be nice to be able to make my own character like that.

Hey danselmi13 and Grummy, I'm from the Undead Labs forums and have followed the game before it's release. They have said they want to add Co-Op for stare of decay to help them with their research for Class4. (The MMO version of State Of Decay) But only if it did well and it has. But there are many things they want to add too, If you go to their forums they always take suggestions from members. They want to add more stuff ingame first before Co-Op so we will not see it for a while yet.

Also Grummy one of the reasons character creation wasn't in was because it wanted you to feel like you was a group surviving, Random people in a group. And adding character creation would stop the player playing as a group as he would only want to upgrade his guy. And once he died insted of accepting his fate the player would restart knowing they lost the only guy they made and named. But many others like this idea too and the more popular a idea is, The more chance it will be added into the game.

Cum divites paupermen qui bellum gerunt suus moriatur...
CR33D 28

Postby Grummy » 22 Jun 2013, 12:12

CR33D wrote:
Grummy wrote:Not yet, they did say they wanted it and would work on it, but when it turns up? No idea. I think it will be after the survival game update though, because that would be a better game to play co-op than the story. I hope they add character creation to the survival game too, would be nice to be able to create a character that has as many abilities as wossname, the guy you start off as (I can't believe I've forgotten his name already). He has a lot more skills than anyone else, which makes him the best option to play as by default. Would be nice to be able to make my own character like that.

Hey danselmi13 and Grummy, I'm from the Undead Labs forums and have followed the game before it's release. They have said they want to add Co-Op for stare of decay to help them with their research for Class4. (The MMO version of State Of Decay) But only if it did well and it has. But there are many things they want to add too, If you go to their forums they always take suggestions from members. They want to add more stuff ingame first before Co-Op so we will not see it for a while yet.

Also Grummy one of the reasons character creation wasn't in was because it wanted you to feel like you was a group surviving, Random people in a group. And adding character creation would stop the player playing as a group as he would only want to upgrade his guy. And once he died insted of accepting his fate the player would restart knowing they lost the only guy they made and named. But many others like this idea too and the more popular a idea is, The more chance it will be added into the game.

That makes perfect sense, unfortunately they made Marcus (remembered his name now) so good that he becomes the default character anyway, and the same principle applies, if he dies, it's a massive blow. I think the best thing they could do instead is make the penalties for using a character past his fatigue limit more severe. For instance, I find that if I have enough cans of energy drink, I can just keep going with him. Make them a one use item once someone is fatigued, and they can't use it again until that person has had a lengthy rest, absolutely force the player to have to use more than one survivor character.

Also, I think they have to think about how the MMO would work, in it you wouldn't be controlling a number of different characters, just your own (unless they went down the route of making you make 2 or 3 characters at the start, and forcing you to swap them over every few in game hours, can't see that happening though), and they would change the way the sense of threat and survival would work, so perhaps they should do that instead, focus on changing (or perhaps giving a different survival mode, one group, one solo) the gameplay to suit that one character play, making it so you really can't do enough on your own, so you NEED to rely on the NPCs, but let you have greater control of them. If you've ever played it, Godfather 2 has a good system that would work as an example, control and issuing orders and commands.

It's a difficult time for them in a way. They've made an incredible game that yet has a lot of room to improve, the question is where to go and how to improve it for the best.
One. Warrior. Nation.

"The PS4 reminds me of a Kit-Kat, and I like Kit-Kats" as spoken by the Hetty.
Grummy 67
OXM Moderator

Postby CR33D » 22 Jun 2013, 21:37

Grummy wrote:That makes perfect sense, unfortunately they made Marcus (remembered his name now) so good that he becomes the default character anyway, and the same principle applies, if he dies, it's a massive blow. I think the best thing they could do instead is make the penalties for using a character past his fatigue limit more severe. For instance, I find that if I have enough cans of energy drink, I can just keep going with him. Make them a one use item once someone is fatigued, and they can't use it again until that person has had a lengthy rest, absolutely force the player to have to use more than one survivor character.

Also, I think they have to think about how the MMO would work, in it you wouldn't be controlling a number of different characters, just your own (unless they went down the route of making you make 2 or 3 characters at the start, and forcing you to swap them over every few in game hours, can't see that happening though), and they would change the way the sense of threat and survival would work, so perhaps they should do that instead, focus on changing (or perhaps giving a different survival mode, one group, one solo) the gameplay to suit that one character play, making it so you really can't do enough on your own, so you NEED to rely on the NPCs, but let you have greater control of them. If you've ever played it, Godfather 2 has a good system that would work as an example, control and issuing orders and commands.

It's a difficult time for them in a way. They've made an incredible game that yet has a lot of room to improve, the question is where to go and how to improve it for the best.

Yeah i agree once you get a good ammount of snacks you really don't need to switch, That's why people of been asking for a hardcore mode where bites are deadly and pills and snacks can only be taken once a day. I switch between Marcus. (My main) Mia and the hooded guy, And even that isn't needed, And with them adding co-op it's in danger of becoming Dead Rising. Killing zombies in fun ways with no threat. I would like character creation even small things like hair and names,

People don't know this but the MMO was going to be released first before State Of Decay, But Microsoft wanted to see if it would sell well and they wanted to use this single player game as a boost for the MMO, It's why they want to add co-op for SoD. I'm a little worried about the MMO because i don't like Dayz so much. And if they take some of these things out (Groups) it could feel like a Dayz rip off. (Although they already had the idea for the MMO before Dayz released) Also a idea could be that players can form groups in bases. (like clans) And insted of NPC's have different group members doing different tasks, But this would be bad for players who like playing on their own. Although it is a MMO :)

Cum divites paupermen qui bellum gerunt suus moriatur...
CR33D 28

Postby Hunter RJ » 23 Jun 2013, 05:16

You know what's crappy? the character you start with, Marcus, was found dead after who knows how long. Nothing said rumors about him or anything. He was my main guy. I had up plenty of outposts to increased the chances of missing people returning on their own or at least being traced, giving me leads on where they might be. :x I actually restarted and played through just to get him back. Oh, BTW, I had gotten very far like pass meeting Ray Santos up to at least talking to Erik Tan in some secluded area with some ammo near the river. What? Do I just have to survive until later on or something? :?:
Hunter RJ 1

Postby Hunter RJ » 23 Jun 2013, 05:36

Oh yeah, has someone mentioned that Undead Labs should involve, other than co-op, the ability to bring along survivors you've already recruited? I mean beating up zombies is awesome, but going to infestations alone may be unless you're hardcore and have the right materials.
Hunter RJ 1

Postby BlackhawkTenan » 23 Jun 2013, 13:56

[quote="Hunter RJ"]Oh yeah, has someone mentioned that Undead Labs should involve, other than co-op, the ability to bring along survivors you've already recruited? I mean beating up zombies is awesome, but going to infestations alone may be unless you're hardcore and have the right materials.[/quote=''Hunter RJ'']

You can, when you get near the infestation, press down on the D-Pad and select Call for Back-up and someone will come to your location. (I think this brings in a survivor or a swat team, not near my Xbox so can't check for sure)
BlackhawkTenan 30

Postby thewrongtrousers » 24 Jun 2013, 23:00

It is no longer possible to establish an Outpost or relocate your Home while on a mission.

Why not? It makes more sense if you can after all you are not the only one in your group, what would prevent others from moving while you are on a mission in real life - nothing at all thats what!!!

Also one annoying bug I have not seen on the list but has happened a number of times now is when moving the home base or creating an outpost. I always take someone with me to help clear out the area and make it safe. The last time it happened I was playing Maya and had Marcus with me. We drove to the location, killed some zombies, searched all the supplies and created a home base. As soon as it was done Marcus suddenly has internal injuries and is hobbling around all over the place. How did that happen he was fine a second before?
thewrongtrousers 28

Postby Dadditude » 25 Jun 2013, 01:18

PCG The_B wrote:
- Reduced frequency of "I brought you a pony..." line.

OHGODYESTHANKYOU

I have to agree, but I hope they don't make it TOO rare… I nearly busted a gut laughing the first time I heard it… I know, I know… I'm going to hell. :twisted:
I'm not sick, I'm twisted. Sick makes it sound like there's a cure.
Dadditude 2

Postby MrWaldoJohnson » 01 Aug 2013, 03:12

I feel that they need to add vehicle inventory slots to carry back multiple rucksacks. It takes way to long to bring one at a time and do the missions. Multiplayer would be a nice added feature. I think allowing PvP is necessary but they can limit how far back you restart. After gaining influence you can unlock certain, weaker weapons to be sure, items to help the restart stage. Also homes should be raidable.
MrWaldoJohnson 1

Next