to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Digital versus Physical: which is best for Xbox One?

Your comments on our articles.

Which side of the content fence do you sit on?

A large part of Microsoft's business strategy for next generation is based on the assumption that digital distribution's the future, but consumers around the globe have made it clear they don't want that decision made for them - hence this week's overturning of Xbox One's original game licensing policies.... read more

Digital versus Physical: which is best for Xbox One?

Postby Dr. Dave » 22 Jun 2013, 15:15

All comes down to cost. Not having to manufacture & distribute discs is going to save the industry a packet and these savings MUST be passed on to the consumer. When buying a disc, the average consumer is aware that it will have some trade in value later on. If downloads can't then the relative difference has to be reflected in the initial price.
Dr. Dave 19

Re: Digital versus Physical: which is best for Xbox One?

Postby Bugsquat » 22 Jun 2013, 16:03

I still want physical copies of games. As many people say, going into town to buy a new game or some MS points gives you a feeling that you have, in a way, had to work for it. I like having to work for things - it tends to make me like the things I work for even more, plus I get to come in from the wind or sun or rain and settle down before setting up my game. It's a bit counter-intuitive, but I'm actually put off by the idea of not having to do as much. If I can do everything sitting down, then a bit of accomplishment, however small, is lost.

I like to collect things - I like to see shelves of games and DVDs because...I dunno, I just like to collect my boxes. I keep games I like on my CD tower, which gives me an excuse to have a cool CD tower - if you have digital downloads, then you miss an opportunity for another bit of furniture.
The way of life is the posture of a tree; rigid trunk for structured and directed childhood, followed by open branches - life choices. Some branches take one higher than others, and some split many times. But never forget...Every branch bears a leaf.
Bugsquat 31

Postby Maximus T » 22 Jun 2013, 16:27

Well the good thing is that the consumer has free entrance to either side of the fence- probably through use of a stile.
Personally I am a physical fellow, for the excitement that going to the shops, or waiting for post to get the new game, then tearing off the cellophane and breathing in that new game smell, then putting it carefully into your console, beside yourself with hype and shivering in anticipation for the magnificent adventure you are about to embark on. (Warning, experiences may differ.)
Some people might get a buzz from buying instantly on-demand and getting to play straight away, but an equal number of people may not.
A benzene ring changes everything.
Maximus T 67

Postby ltrabidpiglet » 22 Jun 2013, 16:28

I am all for the digital downloads, and when the Xbox One releases that will be my preference when games launch. I do not doubt that the physical copies will still be required for those without strong Internet connection but I feel that we need to start moving away from this as time goes on. What would be great incentive to those who do download their games is lower prices, and it would be even better if Microsoft could work the system the way they planned for those who utilize the digital media. I feel kind of betrayed because I was looking forward to all that the Xbox One offered from the start, and with a few tweaks here and there they could have modifed their controls to allow both physical and digital media to exist with other licensing trigger to be in place to protect the software. Instead a bunch of people complain, and Microsoft goes 'we hear you' and bang ... We have a regular console and nothing spectacular.

I suppose that I have already answered this and started to rant at the end there but digital v physical, its digital for me. I only hope that things will catch up as time goes on, but for those who hope to pay less for games as time goes on, it looks like we will probably have to wait for a few more consoles to come through before that happens .... I am at least thankful that Steam is around for my PC gaming needs, and maybe one day it will happen for my console.
ltrabidpiglet 5

Postby Grummy » 22 Jun 2013, 16:43

I'll give you an extra pro-disc and pro-digital choice.

Pro-disc, better for retailers as it keeps the rental and 2nd hand markets alive, they get the benefit, earning up to a 90% profit margin from the games, keeps people in jobs.

Pro-digital, better for the industry, no additional overheads for printing discs and boxes, shipping etc, all profits go to them (save for the cut MS get). Could still allow trade ins and rentals, profits for which would go to the industry, plus the consumer would (theoretically) have the benefit of choosing any game they liked for trade in/rental, not dependent on store stocks.

Personally, I'm pro digital all the way now. Better prices and greater convenience. Bring it on.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 66
OXM Moderator

Postby CunningSmile » 22 Jun 2013, 17:34

So long as the digital prices are reasonable on the One I'm going digital. However I am a realist and if they charge £50 a pop for a game I can get on Amazon for £40 I know where I'll be shopping.

And I think that'll be the same for most people. The sooner publishers realise they can actually make more money by charging less for digital than by giving half the RRP to Game the sooner we all benefit
Confirmation Bias is a bad thing, I've read a book that agreed with me about that
CunningSmile 72
OXM Moderator

Postby hazy33 » 22 Jun 2013, 18:29

I want to future proof my system. The ONLY way that happens is with physical discs.
10 years time if your HDD dies all your games die with them. However have them on physical disc and they are fine.

It really is that cut and dried.

Although this site is asking us the gamers it's really about them. MS is evangelical about control and digital copies. They don't have any influence over the site/mag content however there is no way the staff here will criticise Xbox policies to the extent we, the poor saps who actually buy the games, will.
hazy33 25

Postby Wadium_Arcadium » 22 Jun 2013, 18:31

Give me a disc any day. I don't think I'd ever buy a full title by download unless it was ridiculously cheap. I've always preferred physical copies and that's not going to change any time soon.
"The lord of silver fountains, the king of carven stone. The king beneath the mountain shall come into his own. And the bell shall ring in gladness at the mountain king's return, but all shall fail in sadness, and the lake will shine and burn."
Wadium_Arcadium 38

Postby Grummy » 22 Jun 2013, 19:13

hazy33 wrote:I want to future proof my system. The ONLY way that happens is with physical discs.
10 years time if your HDD dies all your games die with them. However have them on physical disc and they are fine.

Naaah it's not, like with steam, if you have you buy a game, you have it forever, even if your HDD dies, as the information is stored with them and you can just get it back again. For free. All you lose if your HDD dies is your saves. The only time you might lose your purchases is if the platform closes. That's a possibility. It's also a possibility that in the future we'll be given opportunities to trade in our digital purchases. Steam have a plan to introduce it, and apparently so do Microsoft. If such is the case, any concerns you have are covered as you can just trade that content for newer content, it's a constant cycle. Unless of course the console industry collapses entirely, but if that happens, I won't be worried too much about the few games I actually have available at that point.

If you don't want to run that small risk of a hypothetical event a long ways into the future, then fair enough, some people do like big collections of games and don't want to risk losing them all, I did too once upon a time. Now though, I just like having games to play at the present time, and a smallish collection of classics, but even then, if there is going to be a future where there are sequels of these games, I'm a fairly progressive gamer, I like franchises that progress and improve, so I'd be playing those rather than the older ones. The prospect of a hypothetical event whereby I would lose a small number of games I currently own doesn't concern me at all.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 66
OXM Moderator

Postby ninjadan8988 » 22 Jun 2013, 19:21

Bugsquat wrote:I still want physical copies of games. As many people say, going into town to buy a new game or some MS points gives you a feeling that you have, in a way, had to work for it. I like having to work for things

Surely earning the money through work is enough to give you the feeling that you have worked for it. I'm guessing if someone planned on giving you a game for a birthday, you'd ask for it to be hidden in a field with a series of clues and a compass so you had to work to find it? :)

I personally have always generally brought disc every time, but after seeing games such as State of Decay work as a downloadable full game, I plan on buying more digitally especially if the price is good.

Makes me wonder that if digital sales takes off whether the numbers of these different 'buy the game from here and get this cool exclusive gun' offers slowly disappear?
ninjadan8988 55

Postby ninjadan8988 » 22 Jun 2013, 19:26

Grummy wrote:
hazy33 wrote:I want to future proof my system. The ONLY way that happens is with physical discs.

Naaah it's not, like with steam, if you have you buy a game, you have it forever, even if your HDD dies, as the information is stored with them and you can just get it back again. For free. All you lose if your HDD dies is your saves. The only time you might lose your purchases is if the platform closes. That's a possibility. It's also a possibility that in the future we'll be given opportunities to trade in our digital purchases. Steam have a plan to introduce it, and apparently so do Microsoft. If such is the case, any concerns you have are covered as you can just trade that content for newer content, it's a constant cycle. Unless of course the console industry collapses entirely, but if that happens, I won't be worried too much about the few games I actually have available at that point.

Agree with Grummy, at the end of the day it would probably be very similar as to how downloadable content and arcade games on the current console. Your live profile has a history of what you have downloaded so if worse comes to worse you just download it again. The only real difference being that they would also be keeping track of whether you have sold on the license to play that game.
ninjadan8988 55

Postby hazy33 » 22 Jun 2013, 19:49

Grummy wrote:

If you don't want to run that small risk of a hypothetical event a long ways into the future, then fair enough, some people do like big collections of games and don't want to risk losing them all, I did too once upon a time. Now though, I just like having games to play at the present time, and a smallish collection of classics, but even then, if there is going to be a future where there are sequels of these games, I'm a fairly progressive gamer, I like franchises that progress and improve, so I'd be playing those rather than the older ones. The prospect of a hypothetical event whereby I would lose a small number of games I currently own doesn't concern me at all.

I understand your points. But I want my game collection to be completely independent of MS or Valve etc. These days no company is safe from going under. If MS disappeared (and yes I realise it's a long short) then the games would die with that HDD. At least with discs the only thing that would die would be the console itself and there's always second one around.
hazy33 25

Postby phillip beasley » 22 Jun 2013, 20:25

I would be quite happy to buy my game digitally if it was cheaper than disk's and I would happily pay a higher cost for digital games if I could share it with one other player too or let an other system have access to the software like when you buy a DVD you get codes that let you install it to another device.
phillip beasley 24

Postby Grummy » 22 Jun 2013, 20:29

phillip beasley wrote:I would be quite happy to buy my game digitally if it was cheaper than disk's and I would happily pay a higher cost for digital games if I could share it with one other player too or let an other system have access to the software like when you buy a DVD you get codes that let you install it to another device.

Now that is an intriguing idea, but I don't know how it could be done so it would be fair to consumer and industry alike.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 66
OXM Moderator

Postby phillip beasley » 22 Jun 2013, 20:39

Grummy wrote:
phillip beasley wrote:I would be quite happy to buy my game digitally if it was cheaper than disk's and I would happily pay a higher cost for digital games if I could share it with one other player too or let an other system have access to the software like when you buy a DVD you get codes that let you install it to another device.

Now that is an intriguing idea, but I don't know how it could be done so it would be fair to consumer and industry alike.

Well when i brought Mass Effect 3 it had 2 disk's which both had the co-op on so i only had to buy one other online pass to play with another person i know that won't work digitally but it's an idea of maybe buying a game then paying a extra fee for an other person to play the same multi-player game as you.
I know Microsoft removed the family and friends list but One other player could be a good idea for those who choose it, like the family account you pay for with the Xbox360
phillip beasley 24

Next