to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

New US bill could force Microsoft to rethink mandatory Xbox

Your comments on our articles.

We Are Watching You - or are we?

Microsoft's plans for Kinect - which comes bundled with the Xbox One as standard and must always be connected to the console in order for it to fully function - may be subject to drastic revisions in the US if new legislation is upheld.... read more

Postby Metalrodent » 24 Jun 2013, 10:18

It's not even the same console anymore, it almost needs a name change until they can actually release what they announced
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 70

Postby bobknight1 » 24 Jun 2013, 10:19

Is the U.S government really in any place to comment on spying and users privacy?
bobknight1 31

Re: New US bill could force Microsoft to rethink mandatory X

Postby CunningSmile » 24 Jun 2013, 10:24

bobknight1 wrote:Is the U.S government really in any place to comment on spying and users privacy?

Shhhh, they might hear you!
Confirmation Bias is a bad thing, I've read a book that agreed with me about that
CunningSmile 72
OXM Moderator

Postby BIGBUTTER » 24 Jun 2013, 10:55

I got caught up in purchasing the first Kinect and basically I was DUPED!!! I never want to buy any Kinect again.
BIGBUTTER 23

Postby Roland of Gilead » 24 Jun 2013, 10:57

What possible reason could Microsoft have to make us keep the kinnect plugged in??!! I just don't get it.

If I do end up getting the xbox one, and I'm forced to keep the piece of junk plugged in, I'll plug it in, then just put it in the DVD cupboard under my TV.
Roland of Gilead 15

Postby vadersmyfather » 24 Jun 2013, 11:04

BIGBUTTER wrote:I got caught up in purchasing the first Kinect

I'm in this camp, but am hoping that version 2 will be put to better use. Although I am pretty uncomfortable barking orders at the TV and leaping around my living room.
I cnduo't bvleiee taht I culod aulaclty uesdtannrd waht I was rdnaieg. Unisg the icndeblire pweor of the hmuan mnid it dseno't mttaer the oderr the lterets in a wrod are, the olny irpoamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer are in the rhgit pclae.
vadersmyfather 47

Postby TechsUK » 24 Jun 2013, 11:18

If a web cam is plugged in, or your phone has a forward facing cam do they have to keep opting the user in or out? Is this an anti-Kinect bill, or is it general?
Also, do you anti progress people use every item in your kitchen all the time? Every part of the carpet in your house "oh wait, because I never walk on that piece of carpet in the corner, maybe I shouldn't have paid for it, next time I wont buy it." that would look daft. Just take the whole experience an allow Microsoft and the positive, progressive, creative thinking gaming community to innovate, develop and evolve. do you sit there naked or something? Sure, Kinect is the price of a full game, but it opens up the options for developers and new things. Do you think this is the end? There are more accessories /hardware to come this cycle that I wager will rely on it's presence.
we want more immersion in our games, this is the way! :)
Last edited by TechsUK on 24 Jun 2013, 11:25, edited 1 time in total.
TechsUK 16

Postby Lazarus22nd » 24 Jun 2013, 11:25

Roland of Gilead wrote:What possible reason could Microsoft have to make us keep the kinnect plugged in??!! I just don't get it.

If I do end up getting the xbox one, and I'm forced to keep the piece of junk plugged in, I'll plug it in, then just put it in the DVD cupboard under my TV.

The stupidity of it is that while it has to be plugged in, it can be turned off so it never does anything....personally I'd just rather buy a Kinect free X1 for £300.

I quite like the Kinect technology, it could have a lot of applications, but forcing people to have it which overprices your console compared to competition when they don't even have to have it turned on is a bit silly.
Lazarus22nd 55

Postby IMilkyBarI » 24 Jun 2013, 12:00

i hope this passes just for the simple fact that i dont want a kinect.
IMilkyBarI 9

Postby CunningSmile » 24 Jun 2013, 12:15

Lazarus22nd wrote:
Roland of Gilead wrote:What possible reason could Microsoft have to make us keep the kinnect plugged in??!! I just don't get it.

The stupidity of it is that while it has to be plugged in, it can be turned off so it never does anything....personally I'd just rather buy a Kinect free X1 for £300.

I quite like the Kinect technology, it could have a lot of applications, but forcing people to have it which overprices your console compared to competition when they don't even have to have it turned on is a bit silly.

The point of forcing its inclusion is so that developers know everyone has it. Many big developers and publishers have come out as saying the main reason they never designed for Kinect on the 360 was they didn't want to reduce their audience as not everyone would have one. By bundling it with every console and requiring you have to have it plugged in rather than selling it on more elaborate kinect features can be built in without the fear of people not buying a game because they can't play it.
Confirmation Bias is a bad thing, I've read a book that agreed with me about that
CunningSmile 72
OXM Moderator

Postby HooksaN » 24 Jun 2013, 13:24

vadersmyfather wrote:
BIGBUTTER wrote:I got caught up in purchasing the first Kinect

I'm in this camp, but am hoping that version 2 will be put to better use. Although I am pretty uncomfortable barking orders at the TV and leaping around my living room.

I've personally never understood this position, or the problem. With Kinect generally.

You can use it as little or as much as you want... but I use it all the time and find it really useful. Gesture controls are easy and a nice way to use the interface imo. The auto login for multiple players using their face is REALLY useful in some mp games.

But the standout use for me is voice control. Thanks to the constant advances and new dashboard, the commands are now pretty extensive. I don't pick up my controller nowadays until a game has loaded. I can navigate all the menus, load any of my games or apps, and even navigate in the apps (eg browse Netflix/lovefilm libraries etc)
...the Bing-based voice search (both in console/live and in the net browser) have never got it wrong once for me. As a result its SO MUCH QUICKER to find games, movies and music that way.

...and games like Kinect sports always get used at parties.

So, I just don't get why people don't like it. Especially at the moment when it isn't even mandatory. That means the people that don't like must have bought one. I don't understand what they expected it to do, that it doesn't do...?
HooksaN 18

Postby SilentDark » 24 Jun 2013, 13:33

Excuse me for a minute

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry, it seems like the entire concept of this console just really wasn't all that thought out. The DRM, they obviously hadn't been listening to peoples concerns before they decided this (The firing of Adam Orth was completely pointless as they learned nothing, I almost feel sorry for him, almost.) Now this, which even I could see could run contrary to certain privacy laws across the globe (although I must admit, never saw the US as being the big snag.)

Too late for MS to back out now though, although maybe they should go with 360+ as a console name now.

I can see some firings as MS HQ methinks, which is both sad and funny.
You know, Hitler wasn't all bad, after all, he did kill Hitler.
SilentDark 64

Postby skinnypigeon » 24 Jun 2013, 13:34

Half of you guys have never tried to use a Kinect with a Scottish accent. It's laughable how wrong it gets it sometimes. That's here in Edinburgh where the accent is quite soft. As you go further north especially past Aberdeen then there's not a chance in hell that it's going to do what you ask.

Until they can guarentee that it's going to work the way it's intended to then why make it a mandatory feature? If it has a learn feature that can adapt to the local accent then it might be pretty cool addition but definitely not worth an extra £100.
skinnypigeon 13

Postby vadersmyfather » 24 Jun 2013, 13:41

HooksaN wrote: I don't understand what they expected it to do, that it doesn't do...?

Based on MS's initial presentations (ie Milo), they had grand plans for it that were more than gesture controls and party games.
I cnduo't bvleiee taht I culod aulaclty uesdtannrd waht I was rdnaieg. Unisg the icndeblire pweor of the hmuan mnid it dseno't mttaer the oderr the lterets in a wrod are, the olny irpoamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer are in the rhgit pclae.
vadersmyfather 47

Postby sneakerphile » 24 Jun 2013, 13:44

Murica, you're paranoid bullshit will not be tolerated.
Go sit in the corner and shut up, you giant moron!
Christ, anyone else think that America is like a giant, retarded, trust-fund kid!
This is why we can't have anything nice!
It was a bad call Ripley, it was a bad call.
sneakerphile 14

Next