to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Saints Row 4: why it'll take more than a Dubstep Gun to chal

Your comments on our articles.

Ed tries out Volition's sometime expansion, and isn't terribly impressed

For years, Saints Row has sold itself as Grand Theft Auto with the safety off - a freer, less intellectually inhibited take on the urban sandbox that effectively casts the player as a bling-obsessed sociopath with the attention span of a kitten. Where Rockstar has striven for the status of a Sundance Institute, growing pompous in its quest for narrative sophistication and social relevance, Volition has embraced the seediness and tackiness of "classic" gaming.... read more

Saints Row 4: why it'll take more than a Dubstep Gun to chal

Postby Metalrodent » 24 Jun 2013, 14:00

as fun as SR3 was it was always very shallow and offered little variety or much in the way of real gameplay.

Considering these were commonly raised complaints it seems weird they would ignore all of these and then make the game even more shallow and silly
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 71

Re: Saints Row 4: why it'll take more than a Dubstep Gun to

Postby SidTheSloth » 24 Jun 2013, 14:57

Watched a video interviewing the lead dude from Volition about this at E3. Interviewer suggested to him that whilst the third game was fun, it was a it confused and made a few missteps away from the more story driven SR2.

I know SR divides opinion like few other games on here, i enjoyed them both fwiw, but whilst 3 did a lot right, i agree with the notion that it lost a lot of the soul that the second game had. Either way, the guy being interviewed dismissed the idea out of hand, said he didn't agree and that he liked the direction they went with 3 (it was his decision as creative lead) and they've gone further down that road. Sure it'll still be fun and worth a go, but what he said and his general attitude towards it put me off, Ed's hands on isn't compelling me to reconsider.
(2 + 4 = Fish) / Sloth = Better
SidTheSloth 54

Postby Grummy » 24 Jun 2013, 15:33

I have to disagree with the opinion that it loses something from SR2, I just think in story terms it's been approached differently. SR2 always had something of a progressive RPG feel to the story, the story in SR3 is much more 'Hollywood'. I wouldn't say it's worse, just different.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 67
OXM Moderator

Postby Rnald » 24 Jun 2013, 16:08

SR3 was just a horrible feeling game compared to SR2. While SR2 had many unrealistic elements, it kept within the fun of the game. SR3 took it a step too far and made too many attempts to be funny which then led to it being unfunny.

I barely remember the storyline to 3 because it was so hollow, but I could replay the SR2 storyline any time I wanted.

Despite the attempt to make 3 more fun it also had less landmarks on the map to have fun in free roam and I could spend a lot more time messing around with my mates on SR2.

4 seems to be taking another step away from the series' roots and is therefore a complete non-purchase for me. SR2 is probably the game I've enjoyed most on 360 yet two games later the series is so unrecognisable I'd rather not buy it.

GTA 5 would've won even if SR4 is good, but it won't be good anyway.
Rnald 39

Postby Jabraham » 24 Jun 2013, 16:30

One of the biggest reasons i hated sr3 was that in the previous 2 two games we had brought up to believe that Gat was the biggest badass in video games around we see him shot stabbed and you think he is the coolest guy in a video game which he arguably is.

only for them to give him an off screen death and they show it to us ahead of time, which leads me to believe that he would show up later in the game (which they will probably bring him back in this game) only leaving me disappointed with one my favourite video game characters.

i also hate lots of other stuff but i dont want to make this rant long
Jabraham 35

Postby schwepterbrowser » 24 Jun 2013, 16:45

Am I the only one that likes the first Saints Row best?

SR3, whilst a lot of fun, wasn't very polished or coherent. SR4 looks to share the same problems, becoming crazier will probably even exacerbate them.
schwepterbrowser 57

Postby PonderingWalrus » 24 Jun 2013, 18:17

I'm still looking forward to this regardless.
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
PonderingWalrus 42

Postby SidTheSloth » 24 Jun 2013, 18:29

schwepterbrowser wrote:Am I the only one that likes the first Saints Row best?

It was only the technical stuff that put me off the first really, i had a fair few issues which soured the experience somewhat. I like all 3 though really, with #2 edging it as my favourite. Still had a lot of fun with 3, but it was just missing 'something' for me compared to the previous titles.

I feel they're focusing on the wrong areas with this one again but maybe along with my preference for #2 i'm just in the minority? Regardless, unless it reviews like ass i'm sure i'll pock it up at some point, but i won't be busting a nut like i did for the third.
SidTheSloth 54

Postby CR33D » 24 Jun 2013, 18:45

I have not played Saints Row 3 yet, (Was playing another game at the time) So it slipped by me. I was about to buy it when SR4 was revealed and when i checked the trailer it looked cool, There was a Kick Starter game (was for Xbox but went to PC) About a open-world game with super powers that i liked. So when i saw the trailer i thought pre-order. But many people said SR3 was bad so it put me off a bit, And how do these powers work? Are they always on? Because it would be way too easy that way, If it is too easy i may just get SR3 it looks more like the first 2 i loved. I liked SR2 just walking around with guns killing the gangs and starting wars. Now in SR4 it's only 1 gang who are aliens. So it won't feel the same.

EDIT: Also when i heard it didn't have zombies i was annoyed, I thought they would add it to SR3 in a bigger way. Like a cheat to turn the world into zombies.(Always night, Fog, NPC replaced with Zombies) But insted i hear you get 1 mission Then that's it.
Last edited by CR33D on 24 Jun 2013, 18:50, edited 1 time in total.

Cum divites paupermen qui bellum gerunt suus moriatur...
CR33D 28

Postby SidTheSloth » 24 Jun 2013, 18:50

CR33D wrote:But many people said SR3 was bad so it put me off a bit

I certainly wouldn't say it's bad, in fact there's tons of fun to be had. It improves on a lot of stuff from the earlier two games, but then completely cuts a lot of the other stuff. As you can see from the comments, these changes pleased a lot of people, but put a lot of others off, i preferred 2 as mentioned but if you've not tried 3 you could certainly do a lot worse, especially for the price you can probably get it now.
SidTheSloth 54

Postby Baryonyx » 24 Jun 2013, 20:28

I enjoyed SR2, but I thought the premise had aged rapidly and worn very thin by the time SR3 came around. It seems this trait of diminishing returns continues here.
Baryonyx 42

Postby Grummy » 24 Jun 2013, 20:29

CR33D wrote:I have not played Saints Row 3 yet, (Was playing another game at the time) So it slipped by me. I was about to buy it when SR4 was revealed and when i checked the trailer it looked cool, There was a Kick Starter game (was for Xbox but went to PC) About a open-world game with super powers that i liked. So when i saw the trailer i thought pre-order. But many people said SR3 was bad so it put me off a bit, And how do these powers work? Are they always on? Because it would be way too easy that way, If it is too easy i may just get SR3 it looks more like the first 2 i loved. I liked SR2 just walking around with guns killing the gangs and starting wars. Now in SR4 it's only 1 gang who are aliens. So it won't feel the same.

EDIT: Also when i heard it didn't have zombies i was annoyed, I thought they would add it to SR3 in a bigger way. Like a cheat to turn the world into zombies.(Always night, Fog, NPC replaced with Zombies) But insted i hear you get 1 mission Then that's it.

Having not been a fan of the first 2 SR games, what I enjoyed about 3 was that it didn't take itself seriously, it put on some great set pieces at times, the gameplay was just all out fun and, crucially for me, it had a measure of property management etc, which I love in games like that. It's without question my favourite 'GTA style' game of this generation (I don't count Crackdown, Bull or RDR as they're different beasts despite it being the same basic principle.

I'll play SR4 too, but I doubt I'll like it as much as the whole Superpowers thing is a step too far for my liking. SR3 was different, but it was still a GTA style game, like the series set out to be, Superheroes etc, it's become Crackdown or Prototype, NOT what the series set out to be.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 67
OXM Moderator

Postby Darquess » 24 Jun 2013, 23:21

As I keep returning to SR3, I have to ask myself why.
It isn't a particularily fun game after three go's, the story is weak, the enemies weaker and the zombies are terrible.

I know why I keep playing this game though.
It's better than GTA 4 in almost every way.
The cars handle better, you can customise them, yourself and you homes, you can buy things, upgrade them, buy property, call in all sorts of mad things, and the gun combat is good.

I know I will not enjoy SR4 as much, because while it is exactly the same game as SR3, GTA5 has these things in it's game...and more.

Have the game developers missed the point that the majority of people who liked SR3 were people who thought GTA4 was not a masterpiece, particularly now?- compard to other Rockstar games, GTA4 is not brilliant.

I will buy both, but I fear I know which is better already.
Darquess 15

Postby Metalrodent » 24 Jun 2013, 23:43

Have to say I've always thought the Saints Row driving was pretty poor, there's no sense of speed, hugely basic damage model (which is outdated by 10yr old burnout games) and they handle like a bar of soap (with worse turning).

I personally prefer GTA4s heavy car mechanics, ( also it's highly realistic damage model) so one of my main wants for SR 4 is improved driving

not that it seems we'll need cars, if we can just fly everywhere
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 71

Postby CR33D » 25 Jun 2013, 01:09

I'll have to give Saints Row 3 a shot then, GTA IV feels really dull to me. Those dating or friend call got on my nerves and i didn't play around the open-world, Most i did was fly around in a helicopter, land on a roof, and spawn a bike then drive off. I only played it for it's story but with SR while the story was great. (The mission with carlos and the brotherhood was amazing, It made me almost cry :cry: ) I also loved to free roam around just shooting gangs, And driving around. Most of the mini-games was amazing but now they have took them out.

I don't know why they have gone this far, I think it's too much. Yes the dubstep weapon is cool but now we have a game where you can almost fly, Run faster then cars etc... We won't even need cheats unless THESE are cheats. (I doubt it)
There will be no point in driving, No point in using weapons, This should of been DLC. I like the idea but this is too far. I feel they just added a story to this so they could slap on a bigger price tag then if it was DLC.

Cum divites paupermen qui bellum gerunt suus moriatur...
CR33D 28

Next