to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Mech assault: how Titanfall could be Call of Duty's doom on

Your comments on our articles.

Ed takes a look at the One's most impressive exclusive IP

Remember the Bubble Shield from Halo 3? Remember how dramatically it altered the chemistry of Bungie's multiplayer sandbox, allowing skilled Spartans to throw down fleeting tactical beachheads, imposing their own terrain dynamics on the map architecture? That's the kind of wholesale change-up Respawn Entertainment is aiming for with the Titans, the 24 feet-high posterboys of Xbox One's flagship shooter.... read more

Mech assault: how Titanfall could be Call of Duty's doom on

Postby BlackhawkTenan » 26 Jun 2013, 17:10

In my opinion, the best next gen game shown at E3. Can't wait to get an Xbox One to play this!
BlackhawkTenan 23

Re: Mech assault: how Titanfall could be Call of Duty's doom

Postby Nune » 26 Jun 2013, 17:33

Ready and waiting! :D
Nune 12

Postby penguinspl » 26 Jun 2013, 23:18

Cant wait spring 2014 :) Xbox one day one :)
penguinspl 8

Postby Metalrodent » 27 Jun 2013, 00:15

it's fairly easy to down a Titan given rodent cunning and teamwork.

Hmm, hadn't considered that - mr Smile, buy this game and lets team up
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 67

Postby Alaric14 » 27 Jun 2013, 02:03

Every year there's talk of how some war game or other is going to be the 'doom', 'death', 'demise', or other finality-invoking D-word, for Call of Duty and every year we sit back on our ample gamer haunches, watching as Activision breaks sales records.

Titanfall will need to be flawless in its execution of the multiplayer experience. I'm talking easy menu navigation, snappy game access, varied styles of play, reliable connectivity, and customisation that doesn't make life hell for newbies going up against veterans. If it does all of those things perfectly, Titanfall will still have one hell of a fight on its hands to come within a mile of cracking the retention figures of Activision's monster.

Any potential competitor has this problem: almost all the gamers who purchase their game will almost certainly be buying the next Call of Duty, too - as will the majority of players on their Friends List.
Animator, writer, and NPC molester.
Alaric14 35

Postby CR33D » 27 Jun 2013, 02:33

Titalfall will not beat or be the death of CoD and i am happy about that, Call of Duty breaks sales because many children buy it, Youtube Gamers/Trollers help the sale too, Others want to be like them and so on... I played Face Off 2v2 with my friend a few days ago only to walk around the map looking for 2 trollers, We found them both at spawn prone by a rock. We killed 1 and 1 managed to jump of the cliff. Then both of them (around 14) Screamed you're on youtube! LOL. (Who says LOL insted of laughing?) Then they both quit. This wasn't just 1 time 50% of our matches have some kid being a racist or troll, Leave CoD to them.

I hope Titalfall has a lesser player base so all those little racist kids play CoD and this game will be free from their evil ways.
Titalfall looks more slow paced then CoD, CoD is shoot enemy. This looks better paced and a much better game. It won't beat CoD but it will earn it's place, It's always hard being a new game in a Genre that's already full. But if it manages to keep a decent player base and release more games that improve much move from the first it will earn it's place to CoD and Halo.

That's how Call of Duty survives, It doesn't have to make changes because mindless kids will buy it. Change it too much and they will move away, I'm shocked that CoD has set up anti-troll systems, I hear players complain about it all the time. (I'm not complaining about the game i like it, Just the players make the game worse then it is)

I want to see sales for CoD:Ghosts on both 360 and One, I know the 360 will sell more copys because all these children can't afford a Xbox One yet :D Or kinect should kick people from the game if they are too young. :lol:

Cum divites paupermen qui bellum gerunt suus moriatur...
CR33D 28

Postby OXM ETboy » 27 Jun 2013, 08:53

finality-invoking D-word

You make good points. Also, I want to play a game called "Finality-Invoking D-Word".
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby CunningSmile » 27 Jun 2013, 09:06

Metalrodent wrote:
it's fairly easy to down a Titan given rodent cunning and teamwork.

Hmm, hadn't considered that - mr Smile, buy this game and lets team up

:lol:

As for all the people above claiming CoD is unstoppable I say that if it's ever going to happen it'll be the dawn of the new generation. As Cr33d points out CoD is bought by a lot of people who are too young to legally buy it, and according to MS achievement data the vast majority of CoD players only buy one game a year (the main reason it's sales are so much higher than anyone elses) These aren't the sort of people who tend to be early adopters of new consoles. Without that safety net Activisions yearly entry will be competeing on the One and PS4 on a more even footing, and most early adopters are looking for new experiences otherwise they wouldn't upgrade. By the time the average racist 12 year old gets round to buying a new console most of the early adopters will have moved on to new experiences and CoD MP will be a ghost town.
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby Alaric14 » 27 Jun 2013, 09:22

OXM ETboy wrote:
finality-invoking D-word

You make good points. Also, I want to play a game called "Finality-Invoking D-Word".

I sense an obscure JRPG on the horizon. One which involves the use of spelling via the Kinect as a combat mechanic for magic users, where a young apprentice sorceror embarks on a quest to find the ultimate source of power...the Finality-Invoking D-word.

He'll have to do a lot of soul-searching along the way and build up a party of fellow adventurers: a plucky girl aristocrat, a seasoned warrior with a severe expression who never smiles (and when he does you wish the character model hadn't allowed it), a child prodigy looking for their master who cries all the time, a mysterious rogue who isn't as interesting as we hope he is, along with a forgettable fellow apprentice who was our hero's childhood rival (but in the end turns out to be a pretty decent type after all).

"Finality-Invoking D-Word". A cult classic waiting to happen, no doubt.
Alaric14 35

Postby CunningSmile » 27 Jun 2013, 09:33

Alaric14 wrote:I sense an obscure JRPG on the horizon. One which involves the use of spelling via the Kinect as a combat mechanic for magic users, where a young apprentice sorceror embarks on a quest to find the ultimate source of power...the Finality-Invoking D-word.

He'll have to do a lot of soul-searching along the way and build up a party of fellow adventurers: a plucky girl aristocrat, a seasoned warrior with a severe expression who never smiles (and when he does you wish the character model hadn't allowed it), a child prodigy looking for their master who cries all the time, a mysterious rogue who isn't as interesting as we hope he is, along with a forgettable fellow apprentice who was our hero's childhood rival (but in the end turns out to be a pretty decent type after all).

"Finality-Invoking D-Word". A cult classic waiting to happen, no doubt.

I think I've played that...or at least the description (minus Kinect) sounds oddly familiar. Do they all have incredibly angular hair, androgenous faces and weapons that either due to size or design would be useless in the average fight?
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby OXM ETboy » 27 Jun 2013, 09:35

What, no hideously annoying puffy creature that only speaks puffy language?

5/10
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby Alaric14 » 27 Jun 2013, 09:39

CunningSmile wrote:I think I've played that...or at least the description (minus Kinect) sounds oddly familiar. Do they all have incredibly angular hair, androgenous faces and weapons that either due to size or design would be useless in the average fight?

How did you know?! It's only in the pre-Alpha stages!

OXM ETboy wrote:What, no hideously annoying puffy creature that only speaks puffy language?

Nah, that would be silly. I mean, come on.
Alaric14 35

Postby squirrelofDoom » 27 Jun 2013, 11:09

I think it was James Cameron that said "Everything is better with mechs". No truer words have ever been spoken.
squirrelofDoom 24

Postby Nexoi » 27 Jun 2013, 12:31

I might anger CoD fans by saying this but i beleive Titanfall will take a great deal skill. CoD is basically who can fire first (unless you use a sniper) and who can camp for the longest.

I also think that under 10's wont last long in Titanfall. You have to grasp the concept of wall running and jet packing, also controlling the mechs.

You have to be good or you will end up as mincemeat for everyone else!
Nexoi is also my gamertag. I play Halo, CoD, Forza etc. Add me if u want! :D
Nexoi 11

Postby Pompey78 » 27 Jun 2013, 20:35

Must admit I like the look of this......

agree that for the first 6-9mths of the xboxone it will be like the early days of the 360 with much less in the way of under 14's whinning and playing games that according to the age rating they should be playing.

Hoping that more new IP will be detailed in the coming months in the run up to launch to show what the first year has to hold
Gamertag MattHayward
Getting my kids into gaming to justify an Xbox One purchase :)
Pompey78 29

Next