to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Microsoft will release Xbox 360 headset adaptor for Xbox One

Your comments on our articles.

"More details as we approach launch."

So, the big scandal of the past few days is that Xbox One doesn't ship with a headset, because it ships with Kinect. "Fear not," says Uncle Microsoft - the manufacturer's now working on an adaptor for existing Xbox 360 headsets. Will that ship with the console, Microsoft? Or will it be sold separately?... read more

Microsoft will release Xbox 360 headset adaptor for Xbox One

Postby squirrelofDoom » 27 Jun 2013, 10:54

I'm 99.9% sure it won't ship with the adapter. Also, and I'm no tech wizard, but if Kinect can be used for game chat like they say, does that mean I can get any set of decent headphones and turn them in to a turtle beach style headset? because Kinect will replace the Mic.
squirrelofDoom 24

Re: Microsoft will release Xbox 360 headset adaptor for Xbox

Postby CunningSmile » 27 Jun 2013, 11:00

squirrelofDoom wrote:I'm 99.9% sure it won't ship with the adapter. Also, and I'm no tech wizard, but if Kinect can be used for game chat like they say, does that mean I can get any set of decent headphones and turn them in to a turtle beach style headset? because Kinect will replace the Mic.

Not a tech guy either, but several people on other threads have said they were planning on doing this before the adapter announcement. Something to do with plugging the headphones into the TV and then using Kinect as the Mic
I miss my care free youth when my biggest concern was where to hide the latest body
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby zacho 666 » 27 Jun 2013, 11:28

So what's the point in a Xbox one headset? :?:
CANADA BABY!
zacho 666 25

Postby 05mknort » 27 Jun 2013, 11:33

I'd love to find out if wireless mics will work with the Xbox One, because I have one that has worked perfectly for years, cant live without it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wireless-Headse ... ss+headset
05mknort 27

Postby AllusiveTurtle » 27 Jun 2013, 13:03

What's the betting that this is yet another afterthought from Microsoft? If not then it's yet another astounding balls-up in communication from Microsoft who are giving a world class demonstration on how utterly fail in the dissemination of policy. The fact that the One would not ship with a headset was revealed last week, and at the same time it was revealed that the jack was of a propriety nature meaning that our current headsets would not fit the new controller. In the ensuing storm of protest, questions were immediately asked regarding the possibility of adaptors to enable us to use our often very expensive headsets (mine alone cost me £150 and so I would quite like to continue to use them), and if these adaptors were genuinely in production (or even planned!) at that time, then Microsoft should have immediately told us that that was the case, which may have gone some way to quelling the understandable disquiet.

This continuing failure in the communication of policy is literally going to cost Microsoft billions because people will either hold off from joining the next generation, or simply move to alternative platforms. At the start of each day, I await the news that heads are rolling at Microsoft HQ, and as each day comes to a close, I am amazed that they still have their jobs. Telling people what they want to know (even if it's not what they want to hear) should be a top priority, but there seems an utter sense of complacency at the top, almost as if the Management are amazed that gamers have the ability to think for themselves!
AllusiveTurtle 44

Postby Grummy » 27 Jun 2013, 14:00

zacho 666 wrote:So what's the point in a Xbox one headset? :?:

I should imagine that, like with the Kinect, the headset will be better, better audio, better vocal and hopefully, a much better wire on them, one that doesn't die every time you look at it.

This adapter is smart move though, even if it isn't part of the package, as long as it's not a stupid price it doesn't make complaints null and void, but should certainly reduce them. I doubt it'll be in the box, but as long as it sells for between £5-£10 it'll be fine afaic.

Annoyed that you have to buy a new headset separately? Well hear, you can buy an adapter for your current one instead for much less. I think it's a nice midway for them, they want people to use the kinect for this stuff instead, but give people a relatively cheap option to use if they prefer the old way.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 64
OXM Moderator

Postby Metalrodent » 27 Jun 2013, 14:13

hurrah, I'll be able to continue using my terrible £9 headset that's really quiet and has a habit of cutting out :D
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 67

Postby vadersmyfather » 27 Jun 2013, 14:17

To be honest I gave up talking/listening to anyone on Live other than friends a long time ago.
I cnduo't bvleiee taht I culod aulaclty uesdtannrd waht I was rdnaieg. Unisg the icndeblire pweor of the hmuan mnid it dseno't mttaer the oderr the lterets in a wrod are, the olny irpoamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer are in the rhgit pclae.
vadersmyfather 46

Postby sarge2u » 27 Jun 2013, 14:32

zacho 666 wrote:So what's the point in a Xbox one headset? :?:

The point would be as it is now i suppose, you would only receive game chatter through the headset as apposed to sound effects and chatter together through normal headset plugged into tv.......
sarge2u 23

Wireless Adapter?

Postby xX1sonicfate1Xx » 22 Sep 2013, 03:06

hey i was wondering will there be a wireless microphone adapter?
xX1sonicfate1Xx 1