to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

The 100 most important people in games

Your comments on our articles.

To mark our 100th issue, we run through the people who will shape the next generation

Who are the most important people in the world of Xbox today? Five years ago it was the big execs who held all the power, but all that's starting to change. On one hand, we've seen the huge growth of a few games around which the industry revolves. The people who make them are, in gaming terms, superstars.... read more

The 100 most important people in games

Postby Grummy » 27 Jun 2013, 13:52

and for also never losing sight of GTA being a lovely, big, dumb game we can all be proud of.

Have you ever actually played GTA IV?

And do you have any legitimate reasons for adding Chris Nolan as he seems utterly out of place here?

Reiche III, hur hur hur, he's the 3rd Reiche. hur hur hur.

No Jeremy Soule? Seriously? The guy wrote the music for Bethesda's games plus a good 60 or so others. He's got an amazing catalogue under his name, and with the Skyrim theme he made the greatest video game soundtrack and theme song to date.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 67
OXM Moderator

Re: The 100 most important people in games

Postby vadersmyfather » 27 Jun 2013, 14:11

Some...bizarre...choices to say the least.
I cnduo't bvleiee taht I culod aulaclty uesdtannrd waht I was rdnaieg. Unisg the icndeblire pweor of the hmuan mnid it dseno't mttaer the oderr the lterets in a wrod are, the olny irpoamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer are in the rhgit pclae.
vadersmyfather 48

Postby OXM ETboy » 27 Jun 2013, 14:12

Fingers crossed Yoshida retweets this.

Forgot to mention, Alex Wiltshire (Edge editor) wrote it. So if you disagree, you're disagreeing with Edge. 7/10
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby vadersmyfather » 27 Jun 2013, 14:16

OXM ETboy wrote:Fingers crossed Yoshida retweets this.

Forgot to mention, Alex Wiltshire (Edge editor) wrote it. So if you disagree, you're disagreeing with Edge. 7/10

That explains it; too pretentious for words.
I cnduo't bvleiee taht I culod aulaclty uesdtannrd waht I was rdnaieg. Unisg the icndeblire pweor of the hmuan mnid it dseno't mttaer the oderr the lterets in a wrod are, the olny irpoamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer are in the rhgit pclae.
vadersmyfather 48

Postby Metalrodent » 27 Jun 2013, 14:17

I would say Martin O'Donnell should be in there, the Halo theme is one of the most recognisable and epic pieces of gaming music ever.

I have the cds and in my opinion Halo 3 is one of the greatest soundtracks ever made.

Certainly more recognisable in gaming than JJ Abrams
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 71

Postby CunningSmile » 27 Jun 2013, 14:34

Wouldn't 7/10 be the highest score every achieved in something related to Edge?
Do you ever look at some of the other people on the internet and wonder if you missed the sign that says "You must be this dumb to ride"?
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator

Postby Plamsa wing » 27 Jun 2013, 14:44

Maybe I've missed them, but where is Ray Muzyka and Greg Zeschuk? You've got Chris Nolan and J. J. Abrams, but no Nolan F***ing North either.

Also you've missed Lorne Lanning!
I spilled flour in my uncle's kitchen, now I've got a croissant.
Plamsa wing 57

Postby vadersmyfather » 27 Jun 2013, 14:48

CunningSmile wrote:

Wouldn't 7/10 be the highest score every achieved in something related to Edge?

I am sure there are plenty of obscure games that no-one has either heard or bought, which Edge has given high scores to. :P
vadersmyfather 48

Postby Maverick_McCool » 27 Jun 2013, 16:06

Edge gave GTAIV 10/10. But then so did everybody , it's only now that everyone says it was crap. Also found it odd to include J.J. Abrams and Chris Nolan in the list. If we are talking voice actors yeah North is good , but if you have room for only one voice actor in this list it has to be the mighty Simon Templeman.
I used to make arrow in the knee jokes , then Arm Fall Off Boy kicked me in the balls....... Come on Boon , quit teasing us with DLC characters we don't want , give us Arm Fall Off Boy dammit! Or at least give us Detective Chimp........
Maverick_McCool 45

Postby OXM Jonty » 27 Jun 2013, 18:02

I still rate GTA IV, actually. SO THERE.

These lists are always tricky because you're putting a finite limit on such a huge thing, so you have to pick and choose to cover the influences. That's why people like Nolan and Abrams are there - they're clearly influential on games, even though they don't actively make them. If we'd just listed developers it would have been a bit easier, although we'd still have included people who some would disagree with.
Editor

Email: jon.hicks@futurenet.com
Xbox Live: OXM Jonty
OXM Jonty
OXM Staff

Postby OXM Jonty » 27 Jun 2013, 18:04

He did write it for OXM, though, so you're really disagreeing with us. And by extension, me. My body is ready.
Editor

Email: jon.hicks@futurenet.com
Xbox Live: OXM Jonty
OXM Jonty
OXM Staff

Postby OXM ETboy » 27 Jun 2013, 18:12

HELLO ANGRY NEOGAF PEOPLE. We've changed the headline to "in the world of Xbox", as you very sensibly suggested - I'd originally presumed the Xbox slant would be obvious from the fact that we're an Xbox publication. Apologies for any confusion.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby mintendochan » 27 Jun 2013, 18:18

Anita Sarkeesian at #40 with Satoru Iwata at #39

good to know shes done nearly as much as him! GOOD LIST, THANKS!
mintendochan 1

Postby zarking_photon » 27 Jun 2013, 18:19

Dear OXM,

You're dumb and I hate you.
zarking_photon 1

Postby KernowDevil23 » 27 Jun 2013, 18:19

OXM ETboy wrote:I'd originally presumed the Xbox slant would be obvious from the fact that we're an Xbox publication. Apologies for any confusion.

Ooohhh your sarcasm gland is in overdrive recently Ed! :lol:
I don't care if a game is "the same every year." So is pizza. Stop buying the bad pizza. Buy the good pizza.
KernowDevil23 56

Next