to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Xbox One exec says Sony PS4 tech specs are "meaningless", ga

Your comments on our articles.

"I heard this exact same argument last generation, and it's a pointless argument."

Speaking to OXM at Microsoft's Xbox One reveal last month, Xbox product planning boss Albert Penello has downplayed technical comparisons between Xbox One and PS4, arguing that hardware analysis is "meaningless" when "our games and experiences are going to be every bit as good as, if not better" than those you'll find on competing consoles.... read more

Postby SpazldNinjaDude » 28 Jun 2013, 16:30

A company only says the specs are meaningless when they know they don't have as good specs.
But, he has a point, the games are more important, lets just hope MS actually mean that.
SpazldNinjaDude 5

Postby dionnysuz » 28 Jun 2013, 16:31

it's funny how he said it wasn't 1990, 16 bit v 32, and throws the 'power of the cloud' at the end. like sega and its 'blast processing'.
dionnysuz 4

Postby squirrelofDoom » 28 Jun 2013, 16:35

The specs aren't meaningless as such, but if you asked the average console buyer what's ESRAM and DDR, they'd look pretty blank. It's all about the games and the way the console works. It could take years to max out the consoles, it's taken eight years to get anywhere near the 360's limit, and by then cloud power could make the whole argument mute anyway. Or Google will release it's android console and destroy everyone. Who knows.
squirrelofDoom 26

Re: Xbox One exec says Sony PS4 tech specs are "meaningless"

Postby Artistic » 28 Jun 2013, 16:58

"As a matter of fact, they actually go out and they talk about how proud they are about their off-the-shelf parts."

Interesting, considering AMD have said they will sell the APU,but without Sony's customization.

"It will be a "cut down" version that won't feature Sony's proprietary technology."

So it's not off the shelf. it feels like they are going all Nintendo by stating that specs are meaningless, that typically suggests they don't want to get into a shooting match because they can't win.
Artistic 3

Postby senote » 28 Jun 2013, 16:59

dionnysuz wrote:it's funny how he said it wasn't 1990, 16 bit v 32, and throws the 'power of the cloud' at the end. like sega and its 'blast processing'.

Yeah I noticed that too.

What I also thought stupid was how he says "our games and experiences are going to be every bit as good as, if not better" than those you'll find on competing consoles. Sorry but that is total bullshit, there are unique game experiences on PS3 that have never been matched on 360, just like there are the same on 360 that can't be matched on PS3, something I don't see changing in the next generation.
senote 27

Postby squirrelofDoom » 28 Jun 2013, 16:59

Also, Isn't the Wii the biggest selling console of this Gen? and that has as much power as a Casio watch.
squirrelofDoom 26

Postby vadersmyfather » 28 Jun 2013, 17:02

senote wrote:What I also thought stupid was how he says "our games and experiences are going to be every bit as good as, if not better" than those you'll find on competing consoles. Sorry but that is total bullshit, there are unique game experiences on PS3 that have never been matched on 360, just like there are the same on 360 that can't be matched on PS3, something I don't see changing in the next generation.

Clearly each console will offer unique experiences, nothing in what he said implied otherwise.
I cnduo't bvleiee taht I culod aulaclty uesdtannrd waht I was rdnaieg. Unisg the icndeblire pweor of the hmuan mnid it dseno't mttaer the oderr the lterets in a wrod are, the olny irpoamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer are in the rhgit pclae.
vadersmyfather 48

Postby vadersmyfather » 28 Jun 2013, 17:13

Artistic wrote: it feels like they are going all Nintendo by stating that specs are meaningless, that typically suggests they don't want to get into a shooting match because they can't win.

It seems to me he means that it's not purely a numbers game. Each console has been designed from the ground up with custom system architecture and it's how this works in combination that will be telling.
I cnduo't bvleiee taht I culod aulaclty uesdtannrd waht I was rdnaieg. Unisg the icndeblire pweor of the hmuan mnid it dseno't mttaer the oderr the lterets in a wrod are, the olny irpoamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer are in the rhgit pclae.
vadersmyfather 48

Postby Nick Nack » 28 Jun 2013, 17:43

senote wrote:
dionnysuz wrote:it's funny how he said it wasn't 1990, 16 bit v 32, and throws the 'power of the cloud' at the end. like sega and its 'blast processing'.

Yeah I noticed that too.

What I also thought stupid was how he says "our games and experiences are going to be every bit as good as, if not better" than those you'll find on competing consoles. Sorry but that is total bullshit, there are unique game experiences on PS3 that have never been matched on 360, just like there are the same on 360 that can't be matched on PS3, something I don't see changing in the next generation.

Exactly
Nick Nack 48

Postby Droidsbane » 28 Jun 2013, 17:45

5 billion transistors...
Droidsbane 33

Postby fracturedrich » 28 Jun 2013, 17:47

squirrelofDoom wrote:Also, Isn't the Wii the biggest selling console of this Gen? and that has as much power as a Casio watch.

I hope your being sarcastic as my casio has a stopwatch and everything :lol:
fracturedrich 47

Postby Maximus T » 28 Jun 2013, 18:15

Two main reasons why I'm getting a ONE
1) The exclusives: I don't know how I could game without Halo, and there are loads of other upcoming titles which look very exciting.
2) This website: without an Xbox console, my place here would be meaningless, and that is one thing I definitely want to avoid. I have built up a loyalty not so much to MS, but to OXM, and I want to keep that.

Droidsbane wrote:5 billion transistors...

Soon enough, transistors will literally be one electron each. Think about how many you could have then!
This signature is so amazing, you get a +1 morale boost just for reading it.
Join the OXM Gamerscore league on True Achievements!Click here!
Maximus T 70

Postby Macky » 28 Jun 2013, 18:16

No! TV is more important!
Macky 1

Postby zacho 666 » 28 Jun 2013, 19:35

Well my email linked to my xbox is locked out so if its not unlocked in October then PS4 for me :lol:
CANADA BABY!
zacho 666 25

Postby Metalratex » 28 Jun 2013, 20:41

Current generation it was said that PS3 got the best hardware but when you compare performance, there are games that do better on X-Box and I've never seen the opposite.
Metalratex 25

Next