to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Nine games that'll make you want to be always-online

Your comments on our articles.

It's a controversial model, but is it beyond redemption?

Online gaming has changed dramatically since the birth of Xbox Live, and it's set to evolve even further next generation. Microsoft may have chopped out Xbox One's always-online requirement, but the console's networked features and cloud support represent huge leaps over its predecessor nonetheless.... read more

Nine games that'll make you want to be always-online

Postby Tetragramiton » 29 Jun 2013, 09:45

Can't wait for almost all of these games. Personally I don't understand the negativity behind always online. Gamers always want the best experience with games and this surely is the way forward...
Tetragramiton 1

Re: Nine games that'll make you want to be always-online

Postby Spiderless » 29 Jun 2013, 10:03

"Nine games that'll make you want to be always-online"

:lol:
Spiderless 25

Postby Maximus T » 29 Jun 2013, 12:24

These will be dodgy for me if they are released this generation, Destiny in particular. Destiny looks like a really good game, but if I buy it for 360 I will only be able to play it as long as I have gold for my 360. With the next generation consoles arriving, I will buy the ONE at some point. Therefore I neither want to pay for two copies of the same game, nor two lots of gold membership. Hence, the only logical cause of action for always online titles is to wait... :(
This signature is so amazing, you get a +1 morale boost just for reading it.
Join the OXM Gamerscore league on True Achievements!Click here!
Maximus T 70

Postby SilentDark » 29 Jun 2013, 14:00

No. I don't really play online, it doesn't matter what technological marvels are thrown my way, this is never going to change, MMOs I avoid like the plague because you have to play with other people so none of these games will convince me to embrace the social aspect of gaming.
"When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say."
SilentDark 66

Postby Aphasial » 29 Jun 2013, 14:41

Maximus T wrote:Therefore I neither want to pay for two copies of the same game, nor two lots of gold membership.

You raise a good point there. I don't know if I missed it being mentioned elsewhere, but will you need 2 gold memberships or will 1 do for both consoles?

'These are stone killers, little man. They ain't cuddly like me.'
Jayne Cobb, Firefly
Aphasial 22

Postby PCG The_B » 29 Jun 2013, 15:00

Aphasial wrote:
Maximus T wrote:Therefore I neither want to pay for two copies of the same game, nor two lots of gold membership.

You raise a good point there. I don't know if I missed it being mentioned elsewhere, but will you need 2 gold memberships or will 1 do for both consoles?

Yup, it's been confirmed to use both. Here's the link from Xbox's Marc Whitten and a quote of the relevant bit:

Xbox Live Gold: We are bringing the Xbox Live Gold membership from Xbox 360 to Xbox One starting at the same $5 per month for a one-year membership, and now anyone in your home can access many Xbox Live Gold benefits on your Xbox One at no additional cost. Your primary Xbox Live Gold membership also travels with you to any Xbox One system.
Ben Borthwick
The Blog | The Twit(ter)
PCG The_B 66

Postby Maximus T » 29 Jun 2013, 16:01

PCG The_B wrote:
Aphasial wrote:

I don't know if I missed it being mentioned elsewhere, but will you need 2 gold memberships or will 1 do for both consoles?

Yup, it's been confirmed to use both. Here's the link from Xbox's Marc Whitten and a quote of the relevant bit:

Xbox Live Gold: We are bringing the Xbox Live Gold membership from Xbox 360 to Xbox One starting at the same $5 per month for a one-year membership, and now anyone in your home can access many Xbox Live Gold benefits on your Xbox One at no additional cost. Your primary Xbox Live Gold membership also travels with you to any Xbox One system.

That's good, so I can still use online on 360 as well as ONE on the same membership. Does this mean that your profile is transferable as well? I still won't buy two copies though of the same game, if it's online only, I will wait until next gen.
This signature is so amazing, you get a +1 morale boost just for reading it.
Join the OXM Gamerscore league on True Achievements!Click here!
Maximus T 70

Postby iEdwin » 29 Jun 2013, 16:35

I believe 360 GT's are transferable to the One if I remember correctly. :)
iEdwin 23

Postby Aphasial » 29 Jun 2013, 16:44

PCG The_B wrote:Yup, it's been confirmed to use both. Here's the link from Xbox's Marc Whitten and a quote of the relevant bit:

iEdwin wrote:I believe 360 GT's are transferable to the One if I remember correctly. :)

Excellent thanks guys :)

'These are stone killers, little man. They ain't cuddly like me.'
Jayne Cobb, Firefly
Aphasial 22

Postby GracieD » 29 Jun 2013, 17:34

As I am not always online, so the idea of it being integrated into the system to be online every 24 hours strikes me as silly , to put it lightly. :lol:
I'm relieved that MS got rid of that requirement.
GracieD 14

Postby Johnbhoy69 » 29 Jun 2013, 17:50

I'm becoming more intrigued by the prospect of always online games, more so after seeing The Division in action at E3.

Though I am also tempted by Final Fantasy XIV A Realm Reborn, which may sway me towards PS4...or maybe a PS3 saying as they are dirt cheap now :lol:
Johnbhoy69 55

Postby STARGATER1 » 30 Jun 2013, 03:06

Titan Fall and destiny have really got me excited, graphically they both look fantastic and both are my favourite genre, sci fi with a fps twist, the twist being that the games are enormous. Titan fall has giant robotic skins for your player and destiny is like the new halo but with stargates, and they both look extremely deep and mysterious. I would of course love to still play a Stargate game centred around seasons 9-10 of SG1 and the battles with the Ori and with Stargate Atlantis, with the Xbox ones cloud computing and the thousands of servers would suit a massive stargate game where you can travel to hundreds of different planet over three galaxies and travel though space on the Daedalus etc. The power of the Xbox really will open up gaming possibilities where lesser consoles would struggle especially with interplanetary gameplay, mass effect could be re created to be much bigger and more sandboxy, we could finally start to see games like eve online, the scale of eve is massive, imagine each player owning a section of space with a planet for resources, and build a space station and an armada to fight in multiplayer on a really massive scale, or what about a command and conquer game where instead of a unit cap of 50 you could have hundreds of units. I am really looking forwards to Xbox one and the power it offers.
After playing games my whole life, I'm still no richer, or smarter but my thumb muscles are da bomb
STARGATER1 14

Postby BLOODSHO7x » 30 Jun 2013, 21:40

The only game im looking forward to playing on that list is elder scrolls online.
Also i currently own minecraft on 360 why on earth would i want to buy the xbox one version if its gonna cost me £10 again to play the same game?
BLOODSHO7x 14