to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Today's free Xbox Live Gold game is Defense Grid: The Awaken

Your comments on our articles.

No dates yet for Halo 3 and Assassin's Creed 2

Good news and bad news, all. On the one hand, those of you who think Halo 3 and Assassin's Creed 2 are too old to be tempting free Gold games can breathe a sigh of relief. Which will then allow you to draw your breath in consternation, when you realise that today's free Gold game is, in fact, little-known and not much-hailed Arcade title Defense Grid: The Awakening.... read more

Postby Johnbhoy69 » 01 Jul 2013, 10:48

Microsoft dont seem to be trying very hard to match the quality of games
that PSN members get for free.

I have a feeling Halo 3 and AC2 are about as good as it will get
Johnbhoy69 55

Re: Today's free Xbox Live Gold game is Defense Grid: The Aw

Postby KernowDevil23 » 01 Jul 2013, 10:50

Johnbhoy69 wrote:Microsoft dont seem to be trying very hard to match the quality of games

This ^^^^^

On Wednesday, I'll be downloading Saints Row 3, Battlefield 3 and Payday on the PS3........Mmmmm.
I don't care if a game is "the same every year." So is pizza. Stop buying the bad pizza. Buy the good pizza.
KernowDevil23 56

Postby SHalo28 » 01 Jul 2013, 10:50

:( iv all ready got that. but it is a good TD= one of its dlc adds GLaDOS as the baddy
SHalo28 23

Postby Metalrodent » 01 Jul 2013, 11:03

Seeing as I've already played H3 and AC2 this isn't bad news for me, I'm lacking in experience in strategy games so I'm not going to say no to a (apparently decent too) free one
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 71

Postby IMilkyBarI » 01 Jul 2013, 11:16

microsoft screwed us again... i bet sony are loving this.
IMilkyBarI 9

Postby Nora-Michael » 01 Jul 2013, 11:34

hmm imagine that, another Microsoft Promise gone with the wind, to be honest Xbox has never done this before ( give aways freebies ) but it's embarrassing when you compare it to playstation network, this months first freebie is only worth 800 ms points and i can't imagine too many people getting overly excited about this one, +1 to ps network..
Nora-Michael 1

Postby Silence Sean » 01 Jul 2013, 11:40

Better than nothing. Will probably only d/l this and AC2 as the disk broke. Maybe start a d/l on Halo 3 to backup the physical copy.
Silence Sean 22

Postby Starskream » 01 Jul 2013, 12:42

And here was me thinking we were going to be getting full retail games for free like the PSN does after all it would have seemed that way when they showed Halo 3 and AC2 at E3 but nooooo it would now appear like these particular pair of games are as good as its going to get. To be fair Defense Grid is a pretty good little game, I bought it ages ago when it was 400 points but without being ungrateful I was expecting more that a cheap arcade game every month.

Im pretty sure they already know what games they will be giving away throughout the whole year so they should just come out and say what they are going to be and when they will be available to download. MS need to fire all of their PR people right now and hire people with a bit of sense or at least people who are bit more in touch with their consumer base.
Starskream 42

Postby fowler prowler » 01 Jul 2013, 12:47

When will it be available to download? Still says the free game is disabled3 on mine.
fowler prowler 3

Postby Bezza89 » 01 Jul 2013, 13:09

Hmm, don't think I'll be renewing anytime soon then. Problem is I've played most games I want to play, so when MS offer me a decent game I'll have played it and wont be too happy about a game I know nothing about. They can't win really lol.

Still, free halo wars would be cool - imagine an oxm night game of that if we all had it?
...and if you tell that to the kids of today, they wont believe you!
Bezza89 69

Postby hazy33 » 01 Jul 2013, 13:26

They dangle the carrot of v old but excellent games and instead sh*t out Defense Grid! It's hardly PSN+ is it :-(
hazy33 25

Postby Plamsa wing » 01 Jul 2013, 13:33

Johnbhoy69 wrote:Microsoft dont seem to be trying very hard to match the quality of games

Bearing in mind that it's entirely possible that they're doing a XBLA title for the first half of the month, then a GoD title for the other half, I'd say it's not all that bad.

I'd much rather have a XBLA game that I've never played, than a retail game I still own on disc.

Bezza89 wrote:Still, free halo wars would be cool - imagine an oxm night game of that if we all had it?

Is that a promise? :wink:
I spilled flour in my uncle's kitchen, now I've got a croissant.
Plamsa wing 57

Postby jimbosolo » 01 Jul 2013, 14:26

Its ironic that some people moaned that XB1 would damage the second hand market yet are quite happy praising ps+. Lets face it step 1 buy ps3/4, step 2, buy ps+ at £40 and download full retail games for free several months after their official release. But of course this dosent affect publishers/developers and theirs still DRM and sony can do no wrong. At least MS are offering older release`s (at the moment it seems) and free is free. As ive said before people are stupid, their stupid to dislike the opposition yet show praise when the other guy does exactly the thing they disliked.

At least a person is intelligent to see things for what they are and not what the mass`s think.
jimbosolo 15

Postby Metalrodent » 01 Jul 2013, 14:53

Plamsa wing wrote:
Bezza89 wrote:Still, free halo wars would be cool - imagine an oxm night game of that if we all had it?

Is that a promise? :wink:

I own it, lets get our game faces on 8)
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 71

Postby Rista B » 01 Jul 2013, 14:56

And the MS team once again fails to live up to expectations.

This is becoming quite a habit they have formed recently.
Rista B 13

Next