to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Xbox One exclusive D4 gameplay details arrive - Kinect suppo

Your comments on our articles.

Swery and Access Games' episodic launch title explored

Deadly Premonition designer Hidetaka "Swery" Suehiro Xbox One exclusive D4 is, it transpires, a downloadable episodic Walking Dead-style point and click series featuring prompt-driven action, comprehensive Kinect support and surreal humour. Thanks for the write-up, IGN.... read more

Xbox One exclusive D4 gameplay details arrive - Kinect suppo

Postby AllusiveTurtle » 01 Jul 2013, 13:03

It certainly looks and sounds pretty interesting with the added benefit of being able to disable the Kinect (which is always a bonus!). Certainly looks like something I'd be interested in, though it has to be said that without the ability to disable the Kinect I wouldn't have given it a second glance.
AllusiveTurtle 44

Re: Xbox One exclusive D4 gameplay details arrive - Kinect s

Postby Metalrodent » 01 Jul 2013, 14:50

AllusiveTurtle wrote:It certainly looks and sounds pretty interesting with the added benefit of being able to disable the Kinect (which is always a bonus!). Certainly looks like something I'd be interested in, though it has to be said that without the ability to disable the Kinect I wouldn't have given it a second glance.

See now this is the problem, people are so agressively anti Kinect that they won't even consider playing something that uses it. You even admit that it interests you, but if it were Kinect only you'd refuse to play it and deny yourself the experience.
Kinect is never going to be succesfully adapted into the 'hardcore' gaming world until people stop being so stubborn and let developers come up with some innovative and new mechanics, they won't be able to do that if people instantly turn off and stop showing interest purely because it involves KInect.

For the record I would much rather games have the option of both, but to say a game is worthless because it relies on kinect is a fools game
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 67

Postby schwepterbrowser » 01 Jul 2013, 14:57

I'm getting this without a doubt, huge fan of Deadly Premonition. I'll likely play it with Kinect, too. :)
schwepterbrowser 54

Postby Grummy » 01 Jul 2013, 15:10

Metalrodent wrote:
AllusiveTurtle wrote:It certainly looks and sounds pretty interesting with the added benefit of being able to disable the Kinect (which is always a bonus!). Certainly looks like something I'd be interested in, though it has to be said that without the ability to disable the Kinect I wouldn't have given it a second glance.

See now this is the problem, people are so agressively anti Kinect that they won't even consider playing something that uses it. You even admit that it interests you, but if it were Kinect only you'd refuse to play it and deny yourself the experience.
Kinect is never going to be succesfully adapted into the 'hardcore' gaming world until people stop being so stubborn and let developers come up with some innovative and new mechanics, they won't be able to do that if people instantly turn off and stop showing interest purely because it involves KInect.

For the record I would much rather games have the option of both, but to say a game is worthless because it relies on kinect is a fools game

One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 64
OXM Moderator

Postby Roland of Gilead » 01 Jul 2013, 15:21

I'll more than likely get this.

best enjoyed with kinnect on, a large coffee, and a sinners sandwich...... :P
Roland of Gilead 15

Postby AllusiveTurtle » 01 Jul 2013, 15:48

Metalrodent wrote:

Okay, I will re-word my last sentence; Certainly looks like something I'd be interested in, though it has to be said that without the ability to disable the Kinect I wouldn't have BEEN ABLE TO GIVE it a second glance.

I have said on this site on numerous occasions (and so it surprises me that you do not recall) that Kinect will not work for me because it does not recognise my 'seated' position. I am registered disabled with a degenerative back condition, I have scar tissue on my sciatic nerve, I have had operations to remove discs in my spine and whilst I am currently able to stand unaided for about 10-15 minutes, moving is exceptionally painful. I 'sit' in a specially made chair that cost £2000 that was paid for by the Police after I received a spinal injury. My sitting position means that I have to have my legs raised before me, and indeed it is more akin to being propped up in bed, than sitting in a chair. I also have a condition called burstis, which means that I often cannot stand without aid at all. I am currently approaching 50, and am told that when I reach 55 I will be totally wheelchair bound. I currently take over 200mgs of morphine a day (movement hurts so much that I inevitably take more) and so also as the day goes on, my voice tends to change as I begin to slur.

To sum it up, the Kinect will not work for me; I cannot move for it, I does not recognise my 'seated position' and because my voice changes, it doesn't even know who the hell I am. It's not a case of me being unable to accept change, it's that the changes won't accept me.
AllusiveTurtle 44

Postby AllusiveTurtle » 01 Jul 2013, 15:50

Grummy wrote:

Grummy, I am a little disappointed by this as you have commented immediately after I have talked about my disability when previously discussing Kinect. It's got nothing to do with my acceptance of change.
AllusiveTurtle 44

Postby Grummy » 01 Jul 2013, 16:07

AllusiveTurtle wrote:
Grummy wrote:

Grummy, I am a little disappointed by this as you have commented immediately after I have talked about my disability when previously discussing Kinect. It's got nothing to do with my acceptance of change.

You're taking this way too personally. Though attached to a quote from you' Rodents point was made generically, and it was strong point well made, this wasn't all about you.

Also. ftr,I read a lot of posts by a lot of different people every day, now I have sympathy for your situation, but you're a new face here I'm not going to remember details about you based on a single comment in a random thread just because your name is attached to it
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 64
OXM Moderator

Postby vadersmyfather » 01 Jul 2013, 16:25

Metalrodent wrote:Kinect is never going to be succesfully adapted into the 'hardcore' gaming world until people stop being so stubborn and let developers come up with some innovative and new mechanics, they won't be able to do that if people instantly turn off and stop showing interest purely because it involves KInect.

I understand where you are going with this but I believe the logic is skewed.

Most people were excited about Kinect when it was announced, but they've been conditioned not to appreciate it because the games have neither been up to scratch nor innovative. They have been aimed at the generic party/ fitness crowd.

It's really up to the developers to show us why we want and need Kinect. The way to do that is to make great games for it with real innovation.
Last edited by vadersmyfather on 01 Jul 2013, 16:31, edited 2 times in total.
I cnduo't bvleiee taht I culod aulaclty uesdtannrd waht I was rdnaieg. Unisg the icndeblire pweor of the hmuan mnid it dseno't mttaer the oderr the lterets in a wrod are, the olny irpoamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer are in the rhgit pclae.
vadersmyfather 46

Postby AllusiveTurtle » 01 Jul 2013, 16:26

Grummy wrote:You're taking this way too personally. Though attached to a quote from you' Rodents point was made generically, and it was strong point well made, this wasn't all about you.

Also. ftr,I read a lot of posts by a lot of different people every day, now I have sympathy for your situation, but you're a new face here I'm not going to remember details about you based on a single comment in a random thread just because your name is attached to it

I'm afraid I cannot see how either Rodents comment, nor yours, was not aimed at me, as both quoted me, but I do not wish to fall out, simply put the record straight.

Everyone has different personal circumstances, for me, it is my health that makes the inclusion of Kinect absolutely worthless, but even if it weren't it wouldn't make my opinion any less valid. There really are few games outside, sport, fitness, dance and perhaps some fighting sims, that really benefit from the Kinect, which is why there has yet to be a successful hardcore game that relies solely on the Kinect and without the backup of being able to press buttons, and I suspect that we won't ever see it. Time will tell, but once 2.0 has been truly embedded for say 2 years, then we will be able to see the true worth of the device. Though I suspect that 2.0 will do as its predecessor did; it will see a surge in use, then an ignominious fade into obscurity, where we will only be reminded of how good it is when it comes to non-gaming applications.

Finally, new face? I been using the site since the 7th of May 2011 - exactly when and how do I qualify as an 'old face'? :shock:
AllusiveTurtle 44

Postby KernowDevil23 » 01 Jul 2013, 16:33

AllusiveTurtle wrote:Finally, new face? I been using the site since the 7th of May 2011 - exactly when and how do I qualify as an 'old face'? :shock:

Must confess even I was surprised you were labelled a "new face"...... :lol:
I don't care if a game is "the same every year." So is pizza. Stop buying the bad pizza. Buy the good pizza.
KernowDevil23 56

Postby vadersmyfather » 01 Jul 2013, 16:34

AllusiveTurtle wrote:Everyone has different personal circumstances, for me, it is my health that makes the inclusion of Kinect absolutely worthless

Do you think there are any features they could add that would help people in a similar position to you?
I cnduo't bvleiee taht I culod aulaclty uesdtannrd waht I was rdnaieg. Unisg the icndeblire pweor of the hmuan mnid it dseno't mttaer the oderr the lterets in a wrod are, the olny irpoamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer are in the rhgit pclae.
vadersmyfather 46

Postby Grummy » 01 Jul 2013, 16:44

AllusiveTurtle wrote:
Grummy wrote:You're taking this way too personally. Though attached to a quote from you' Rodents point was made generically, and it was strong point well made, this wasn't all about you.

I'm afraid I cannot see how either Rodents comment, nor yours, was not aimed at me, as both quoted me, but I do not wish to fall out, simply put the record straight.

Everyone has different personal circumstances, for me, it is my health that makes the inclusion of Kinect absolutely worthless, but even if it weren't it wouldn't make my opinion any less valid. There really are few games outside, sport, fitness, dance and perhaps some fighting sims, that really benefit from the Kinect, which is why there has yet to be a successful hardcore game that relies solely on the Kinect and without the backup of being able to press buttons, and I suspect that we won't ever see it. Time will tell, but once 2.0 has been truly embedded for say 2 years, then we will be able to see the true worth of the device. Though I suspect that 2.0 will do as its predecessor did; it will see a surge in use, then an ignominious fade into obscurity, where we will only be reminded of how good it is when it comes to non-gaming applications.

Finally, new face? I been using the site since the 7th of May 2011 - exactly when and how do I qualify as an 'old face'? :shock:

I'm not surprised you can't see how it wasn't aimed at you, for some reason you tend to take everything personally even when it's not the case. If that is just another part of your innate cynicism, a learned trait over your years in the force, then so be it. You don't have to 'see' that it's not personal, you just have to accept the truth of it, if you can't do that then, well, I'm sorry, but it's your problem not ours.

As for new face, would you prefer non-regular? Years around matters little if you've only really stepped up your presence recently. My point though is that I see a lot of posts from a lot of people, you're just another person around, I recognize and remember the regulars because I see them a LOT and talk to them a LOT, in time I learn things about them, but no matter how active you have been recently and how many actual months you've been active, your presence isn't so significant that I'm going to remember any specific detail about you over ones from anyone else who isn't a regular. In time, I'm sure I will, but one random comment in one random thread in amongst dozens from a lot of different people every day?
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 64
OXM Moderator

Postby vadersmyfather » 01 Jul 2013, 16:57

Grummy wrote:I'm not surprised you can't see how it wasn't aimed at you, for some reason you tend to take everything personally even when it's not the case.

Sorry to stick my oar in, but I think your whole post is a bit harsh when Allusive has been reasonable enough. Rodent was obviously responding directly to Allusive, he even emboldens the particular sections he's referring to. Understandably he wasn't aware of Allusive's condition as I'm sure had he known then he wouldn't have been so forthright.
vadersmyfather 46

Postby AllusiveTurtle » 01 Jul 2013, 17:00

vadersmyfather wrote:
AllusiveTurtle wrote:Everyone has different personal circumstances, for me, it is my health that makes the inclusion of Kinect absolutely worthless

Do you think there are any features they could add that would help people in a similar position to you?

Honestly? Not really. We've seen on this site a number of people saying that the original Kinect has difficulty with accents, and I would imagine that it would struggle with someone who was drunk (unfortunately I cannot drink alcohol because of the level of morphine I take, so I cannot test this theory), as the voice does tend to sound very different when it is slowed and slurred. As for my 'seated' position, I have seen the original sensor positioned above people in hospital rooms and the like, where people who are bedbound can then utilise its functions, so I guess its not out of the question, though it would be limited to movement of the hands and arms only.

I had my original Kinect set above my television, so it was looking down on me, but only from about 4 feet high, so whether setting the device much higher (say 8 feet) would enable it to see me properly, I'm not sure, but either way, it would have to reply on arm, hand and head movement only, anything else for me would probably not work, indeed, anything that included leg movement would be an issue as I suffer with spasms which results in my legs kicking out involuntarily, who knows what I would get up to if that was reflected in a game! :lol:
AllusiveTurtle 44

Next