to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Far Cry 3 dev: most players don't finish games, and we shoul

Your comments on our articles.

"No one has ever 'finished poker, or football," says Ubisoft creative director

Far Cry 3's narrative director and noted outspoken interviewee Jason VandenBerghe has penned a few thoughts for Gamasutra about what developers should do when players fail to complete their games. Which is more often the case than not, apparently.... read more

Far Cry 3 dev: most players don't finish games, and we shoul

Postby GHOSTY05 » 01 Jul 2013, 16:41

He's right, i have not even finished Far Cry 3 yet!
GHOSTY05 40

Re: Far Cry 3 dev: most players don't finish games, and we s

Postby Bezza89 » 01 Jul 2013, 18:31

To be fair, FC3 and RDR suffer from really boring and frankly tedious mid sections, it's easy to see how people would give up, especially those younger ones who don't care for narrative and just wanted a sandbox to go batship in, or people just after a quick fix.
...and if you tell that to the kids of today, they wont believe you!
Bezza89 68

Postby Plamsa wing » 01 Jul 2013, 19:11

I can't help but feel that rather than shortening single-players, they could just make them more gripping and enjoyable. Seems more obvious people are getting bored of them, after all why keep playing something you find utterly tedious, when you could just stop and play something more fun.
I've bitten off more than I can choux.
Plamsa wing 56

Postby Maximus T » 01 Jul 2013, 20:43

I remember when I physically could not finish a game, they were just to hard for my 7 year old hands. Now, I make a point of finishing every game I own. I had got stuck and bored of mirror's edge when I couldn't handle the play style, but then relatively recently I got it back out and played my way through to the end of the story.
A benzene ring changes everything.
Join the OXM Gamerscore league on True Achievements!Click here!
Maximus T 68

Postby SilentDark » 01 Jul 2013, 22:55

I could list off every last game I've ever completed but let's look at some of the edited highlights in no particular order:

The Last Story, House of the Dead: Overkill, Neverwinter Nights, Dead Space: Extraction, Sonic R, Gun, Persona 3 Portable, Persona 4, Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, Tales of Symphonia, Resident Evil 4, Dead Rising: Chop til you drop, Urban Chaos: Riot Response, The Sky Crawlers: Innocent Aces, Ace Combat: The Belkan War, Super Mario Land, Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin, Tomb Raider (The new one), Sakura Wars: So Long My Love, Silent Hill: Shattered Memories.

There's quite a few there but hardly exhausting, and nobody finishes poker or football, really, because in all games, especially those involving multiple players, the game "ends" when one person/team has fulfilled the conditions for victory, many games nowerdays have decided to go the way of movies and TV and focus on narrative, in this case it is absolutely essential to have an ending, if you are campaigning for an end to narrative fiction for games then you are basically discounting all of Bioware's contributions to gaming, as well as works by Black Isle and Obsidian Entertainment which focus heavily on the story. Sure there is a place for both types of games, I mean Tetris turned the Gameboy into a hit sensation, with Nintendo still dominating the hand held market even today but story is important, and if people aren't reaching the endings of these stories then perhaps the devs should ask themselves why their game isn't engaging enough for people to want to play through to the end.
You know, Hitler wasn't all bad, after all, he did kill Hitler.
SilentDark 65

Postby KernowDevil23 » 01 Jul 2013, 23:08

I completed Sonic The Hedgehog on the Mega Drive.

(with the aid of the old "left, right, up, down, start & select" cheat).

Does that count as a completed game?
I don't care if a game is "the same every year." So is pizza. Stop buying the bad pizza. Buy the good pizza.
KernowDevil23 56

Postby Drainwater » 01 Jul 2013, 23:12

I never really thought about failing to complete a game being equivalent to giving the middle finger to developers. Now you've made me feel bad...

Bezza89 wrote:To be fair, FC3 and RDR suffer from really boring and frankly tedious mid sections, it's easy to see how people would give up, especially those younger ones who don't care for narrative and just wanted a sandbox to go batship in, or people just after a quick fix.

What about us older ones who want a narrative and a sandbox to go...batship(?)...in?

Also, while agreeing with FC3 and RDR getting tedious at points (well not so much for me on RDR), how is that any different from capturing various control points on a map over, and over, and over again while people camp the same spots with sniper rifles, or grab the same vehicles, or run many of the same routes over and over and over again while making the same disparaging remarks about your race, gender, parentage, and sexual orientation? I'm not directing this at you, I'm just pointing out the alternative...
Drainwater 35

Postby Bezza89 » 01 Jul 2013, 23:27

I father ted my swearing most of the time, so working out batship isn't too difficult :wink:

Going 18 hours through a story can seem like a boring farce to someone just after some quick entertainment which could be provided by the game you are unsubtly referring to. I'm more a fan of the longer stories and stick them out to the end unless they are really rubbish, I've only given up on the witcher 2 (which I'm doing again anyway) and hitman absolution.

Compare that commitment we do to playing a round of multiplayer - it's instant, fun (arguably) - the repetition is only in map layouts which people learn to their advantage and enjoyment, you're constantly engaged, you're doing something compared to a lull in a story. I'm not a big fan personally of cod mp and the lark and like downtime in longer games so I can do my own stuff, in fact a reason I prefer Battlefield is the vast maps with rounds lasting around 30-40 minutes.
Bezza89 68

Postby Drainwater » 01 Jul 2013, 23:38

Bezza89 wrote:I father ted my swearing most of the time, so working out batship isn't too difficult :wink:

Going 18 hours through a story can seem like a boring farce to someone just after some quick entertainment which could be provided by the game you are unsubtly referring to. I'm more a fan of the longer stories and stick them out to the end unless they are really rubbish, I've only given up on the witcher 2 (which I'm doing again anyway) and hitman absolution.

Compare that commitment we do to playing a round of multiplayer - it's instant, fun (arguably) - the repetition is only in map layouts which people learn to their advantage and enjoyment, you're constantly engaged, you're doing something compared to a lull in a story. I'm not a big fan personally of cod mp and the lark and like downtime in longer games so I can do my own stuff, in fact a reason I prefer Battlefield is the vast maps with rounds lasting around 30-40 minutes.

I figured I knew what you meant.

My experience with the online shooter always boils down to "here we go again" when a new map loads. It can be fun if you're playing with friends, but for me it starts to wear pretty quickly. The last one I enjoyed was Battlefield 2. I played Bad Company 2 for awhile but then I realized I was just repeatedly playing for weapon or equipment unlocks. Quick entertainment it is...too quick :? .
Drainwater 35

Postby Grummy » 02 Jul 2013, 01:37

KernowDevil23 wrote:I completed Sonic The Hedgehog on the Mega Drive.

(with the aid of the old "left, right, up, down, start & select" cheat).

Does that count as a completed game?

Depends whether you could have got all the achievements that way or not.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 66
OXM Moderator

Postby Insaneyokel » 02 Jul 2013, 07:23

Well I like a good story and open play style. I think Plasma is right companies should make the story more interesting. Though I get the feeling that this is just an excuse for some companies to stop really making an effort with originality or a big story arc
Twitter: @RMRedmanAuthor
Gamertag: RONA79
Insaneyokel 47

Postby Bezza89 » 02 Jul 2013, 10:32

Drainwater wrote:I figured I knew what you meant.

My experience with the online shooter always boils down to "here we go again" when a new map loads. It can be fun if you're playing with friends, but for me it starts to wear pretty quickly. The last one I enjoyed was Battlefield 2. I played Bad Company 2 for awhile but then I realized I was just repeatedly playing for weapon or equipment unlocks. Quick entertainment it is...too quick :? .

Same, though bfbc2 was great. Investing time in stuff is more rewarding, though some would argue investing time in unlocking weapons is rewarding... not me. Getting to the end of RDR? That was rewarding.
Bezza89 68

Postby Drainwater » 02 Jul 2013, 22:30

Bezza89 wrote:Getting to the end of RDR? That was rewarding.

Definitely agreed.
Drainwater 35