to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Microsoft may extend free Xbox Gold games offer, "sorry abou

Your comments on our articles.

Major Nelson responds to upset over Defense Grid: TA giveaway

Microsoft isn't ruling out making its monthly free Xbox Live Gold games offer a permanent fixture, the firm's Larry "Major Nelson" Hryb has declared on Reddit.... read more

Microsoft may extend free Xbox Gold games offer, "sorry abou

Postby B0B777 » 01 Jul 2013, 17:06

HELL YEAH thank you very much at least we know they're listening, maybe they're listening right now, that's it where's my tin foil hat.
B0B777 27

Re: Microsoft may extend free Xbox Gold games offer, "sorry

Postby PCG The_B » 01 Jul 2013, 17:12

Just to clarify about most of us assuming AC2 and Halo 3 were first was stuff like this image. I am very surprised no-one at MS made moves to correct those assumptions when they were so widespread, even their own support teams thought this was the case.
Ben Borthwick
The Blog | The Twit(ter)
PCG The_B 66

Postby OXM ETboy » 01 Jul 2013, 17:26

Thanks Ben - updated the piece.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby scottishwildcat » 01 Jul 2013, 17:33

To be fair, which I rarely am to Microsoft, I certainly never got the impression from anything they said that AC2 and Halo 3 were going to be the first two games.
scottishwildcat 18

Postby Flook666 » 01 Jul 2013, 17:46

scottishwildcat wrote:To be fair, which I rarely am to Microsoft, I certainly never got the impression from anything they said that AC2 and Halo 3 were going to be the first two games.

Me neither to be honest...I just assumed they were part of the deal at some point, not the first two games.
Let's Go, Mr Driver!
Flook666 15

Postby msbhvn » 01 Jul 2013, 17:52

MS's PR has gone from laughable to downright annoying. Are they all stupid? Why kick off a major campaign with some crap no one's ever heard of?

And this is a direct quote from Yusuf Mehdi: "Beginning July 1st up through the release of Xbox One; Gold members, new or existing, are going to receive two free game downloads, yours to keep... To kick off that program, I'd like to share just two of the titles we're going to offer over the next few months; Assassin's Creed 2 and Halo 3".

The screen behind him said two free games per month, which he didn't.

Clear as mud. :roll:

Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSXicnwHgss (about 9:25 in)
Massively Multiplatform since ever, fanboys!
msbhvn 69

Postby Nick Nack » 01 Jul 2013, 18:19

msbhvn wrote:MS's PR has gone from laughable to downright annoying. Are they all stupid? Why kick off a major campaign with some crap no one's ever heard of?

And this is a direct quote from Yusuf Mehdi: "Beginning July 1st up through the release of Xbox One; Gold members, new or existing, are going to receive two free game downloads, yours to keep... To kick off that program, I'd like to share just two of the titles we're going to offer over the next few months; Assassin's Creed 2 and Halo 3".

The screen behind him said two free games per month, which he didn't.

Clear as mud. :roll:

Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSXicnwHgss (about 9:25 in)

Agreed. Microsoft are absolutely cluess as regards to PR, i seriously feel embarrassed for them.
Nick Nack 47

Postby Gamerguy69 » 01 Jul 2013, 18:30

Defense Grid isn't even free atm, does this mean maybe they'll replace it with a better game? :D
Gamerguy69 2

Postby stevejcrow » 01 Jul 2013, 18:48

Did you use that quote to back up Microsoft's case that neither of those games would be available come 1st July? I guess I expected AC2 and Halo as they were the only titles mentioned at announcement and it followed that they'd be the first two? And until today don't think I've heard anyone say different.
stevejcrow 18

Postby msbhvn » 01 Jul 2013, 19:01

stevejcrow wrote:Did you use that quote to back up Microsoft's case that neither of those games would be available come 1st July? I guess I expected AC2 and Halo as they were the only titles mentioned at announcement and it followed that they'd be the first two? And until today don't think I've heard anyone say different.

Not at all. What I should have included in that quote was that he said "to kick off that program" twice, so people (including me) thought that they'd be the first games offered. Technically he didn't say they would be first, but he still gave that impression. But like I said, having the first game be something so insignificant is a big mistake and makes it look like they can't be bothered giving us something of value.
Massively Multiplatform since ever, fanboys!
msbhvn 69

Postby tony99 » 01 Jul 2013, 19:39

I thought they were billed as "Fan favourites".I'm a huge fan of games and i've never heard of this,at first glance i thought it said Earth Defence Force,that would have been better :|
tony99 18

Postby Nick Nack » 01 Jul 2013, 19:47

msbhvn wrote:
stevejcrow wrote:Did you use that quote to back up Microsoft's case that neither of those games would be available come 1st July? I guess I expected AC2 and Halo as they were the only titles mentioned at announcement and it followed that they'd be the first two? And until today don't think I've heard anyone say different.

Not at all. What I should have included in that quote was that he said "to kick off that program" twice, so people (including me) thought that they'd be the first games offered. Technically he didn't say they would be first, but he still gave that impression. But like I said, having the first game be something so insignificant is a big mistake and makes it look like they can't be bothered giving us something of value.

He absolutely gave the impression that they were the games.
Nick Nack 47

Postby Geois » 01 Jul 2013, 19:55

msbhvn wrote:

The first game I got was Fable 3, in June. Everyone assumed that the first games would be AC2 and Halo 3, but that was never said in the press conference. I heard it the way it was said that they be coming free at some point in the next couple months. People wanted to hear the first two games would be AC2 and Halo.

The game that is currently up for free (or should be) is not a title that I ever heard of. It doesn't look like something I'd even want. MS would be better served to put it up to a vote or some kind of a poll on xbl as to which game should be made available. It would be better fan service to let the gamers help choose the games. If they put the games up to a vote I'm not sure AC2 or Halo 3 would win.
Geois 14

Postby AngelSoul09 » 01 Jul 2013, 20:01

What I really want to know is where's todays free game cause at the moment it still say that Fable 3 is the Game's with Gold choice.....is it changed dependant on time or just not available really till the 2nd. Or haven't they decided what to use. I want my free game....dont even care what it is...prefer it to be ACII but still any game is better as I currently have completed my games and State of Decay has run its course to entertain me lol.
AngelSoul09 2

Postby Rista B » 01 Jul 2013, 20:46

My reaction to this program went from "Hey, Fable 3 for free. That's really cool and I'm excited that this looks like serious competition to one of PS+ best features" to "Tower defense what now? Totally underwhelmed."

Let's review the last 60 days.
X1 launch event = reviled
E3 = reviled squared with conspiracy theories thrown in
Free game program = turned into another excuse for the internet to use MS as a punching bag

How clueless are these guys?
Rista B 13

Next