to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Xbox boss Don Mattrick is leaving Microsoft to head up Zynga

Your comments on our articles.

Move said to be unrelated to rumoured internal restructuring

According to a new story on AllThingsD, Don Mattrick is poised to leave Microsoft and take a top-level job at struggling online and social gaming company Zynga.... read more

Xbox boss Don Mattrick is leaving Microsoft to head up Zynga

Postby AllusiveTurtle » 01 Jul 2013, 18:13

I was just about to post on here to say that I had read this elsewhere, just beat me to it. I have to say, I think we will see a number of high profile 'resignations' over the next few weeks after the debacle that was the 'Reveal' and the exceptionally poor PR that followed.
AllusiveTurtle 44

Re: Xbox boss Don Mattrick is leaving Microsoft to head up Z

Postby Jigster1 » 01 Jul 2013, 18:23

Wonder who will lead them now?

I know recently he wasn't the most loved executive but I'm gonna quote from Scrubs here "The enemy you know is better than the one you don't!"
Jigster1 46

Postby Flook666 » 01 Jul 2013, 18:30

I was saying to a mate last week that I'd be surprised if he hung around at Microsoft much longer after his "use a 360" statement....so..uhm...yeah...I'm not surprised!
Let's Go, Mr Driver!
Flook666 14

Postby msbhvn » 01 Jul 2013, 18:47

More fool Zynga for hiring him. He always comes off as a smug git, IMO. As long as they don't promote Phil "Two Watches" Spencer to being head of Xbox, it's a win. They need someone with a personality that doesn't antagonise people.
#SaveOXM
msbhvn 68

Postby T-meredith » 01 Jul 2013, 18:55

I think Peter Molyneux should run it, to be fair he is always talking about innovation so i think he could bring something new and fresh to the company!
T-meredith 17

Postby Plamsa wing » 01 Jul 2013, 19:04

I wonder if Microsoft are letting him go, for someone better. Which after the way the Xbox One has been handled so far, I would do the same.

msbhvn wrote:More fool Zynga for hiring him. He always comes off as a smug git, IMO. As long as they don't promote Phil "Two Watches" Spencer to being head of Xbox, it's a win. They need someone with a personality that doesn't antagonise people.

What's Channel 4 got to do with Microsoft? :wink:
The bitterns are doing it for me.
Plamsa wing 56

Postby KernowDevil23 » 01 Jul 2013, 19:34

Sorry for the abhorrent pessimism below but..........

Mattrick completely f***s up the reveal of the XB1, backtracks on his f*** up's and then leaves? Priceless (I do realise MS employed more than one idiot but Mattrick seemed to be the face of Xbox recently).

He's almost like the male half of a one night stand. Get's "excited", shoots his load, wipes it on the curtains and leaves before dawn.

Classy.
I don't care if a game is "the same every year." So is pizza. Stop buying the bad pizza. Buy the good pizza.
KernowDevil23 56

Postby AllusiveTurtle » 01 Jul 2013, 20:36

KernowDevil23 wrote:Sorry for the abhorrent pessimism below but..........

Mattrick completely f***s up the reveal of the XB1, backtracks on his f*** up's and then leaves? Priceless (I do realise MS employed more than one idiot but Mattrick seemed to be the face of Xbox recently).

He's almost like the male half of a one night stand. Get's "excited", shoots his load, wipes it on the curtains and leaves before dawn.

Classy.

Gross! I take it in your analogy that we were the curtains.... :roll:
AllusiveTurtle 44

Postby KernowDevil23 » 01 Jul 2013, 20:56

Spot on! (still gross but you were right!) :D
I don't care if a game is "the same every year." So is pizza. Stop buying the bad pizza. Buy the good pizza.
KernowDevil23 56

Postby Starskream » 01 Jul 2013, 21:23

I could never quite put my finger on it but there is something very unlikable about this man, regardless of what hes about to say I just cant stand listening to him. Im sure hes a really intelligent man underneath it all but he comes across as smug and just not the sort of person you want to front your business.
Starskream 41

Postby Jigster1 » 01 Jul 2013, 22:10

This doesn't sound good!

Sent: Monday, July 1, 2013
To: Microsoft – All Employees
Subject: Don Mattrick’s Next Chapter

Zynga announced today that Don Mattrick would be its new CEO, effective July 8. This is a great opportunity for Don, and I wish him success. Don’s directs will report to me and will continue to drive the day-to-day business as a team, particularly focused on shipping Xbox One this holiday.

Since joining IEB more than six years ago, Don and his team have accomplished much. Xbox Live members grew from 6 million to 48 million. Xbox 360 became the No. 1 selling console in North America the past two years. We introduced Kinect and have sold more than 24 million sensors. We released fantastic games, and, most importantly, we expanded Xbox to go beyond great gaming to deliver all the entertainment people want — sports, music, movies, live television and much more.

In the past month, the IEB team showed for the first time here on our Redmond campus, and again at E3, how we are going to continue to transform entertainment with Xbox One. I am incredibly proud of the work and vision culminating in Xbox One.

I’m particularly excited about how Xbox pushes forward our devices and services transformation by bringing together the best of Microsoft. The consoles are incredible all-in-one devices with built-in services that consumers love, including Bing, Xbox Live, Internet Explorer, SkyDrive and Skype. And, just as important, Xbox Games, Xbox Video, Xbox Music and SmartGlass light up Windows PCs, tablets and phones.

Thank you, Don, for setting us on a path to completely redefine the entertainment industry. The strong leadership team at IEB and their teams are well positioned to deliver the next-generation entertainment console, as well as transformative entertainment experiences, long into the future.

Steve
Jigster1 46

Postby Grummy » 02 Jul 2013, 01:29

Jigster1 wrote:This doesn't sound good!

Sent: Monday, July 1, 2013
To: Microsoft – All Employees
Subject: Don Mattrick’s Next Chapter

Zynga announced today that Don Mattrick would be its new CEO, effective July 8. This is a great opportunity for Don, and I wish him success. Don’s directs will report to me and will continue to drive the day-to-day business as a team, particularly focused on shipping Xbox One this holiday.

Since joining IEB more than six years ago, Don and his team have accomplished much. Xbox Live members grew from 6 million to 48 million. Xbox 360 became the No. 1 selling console in North America the past two years. We introduced Kinect and have sold more than 24 million sensors. We released fantastic games, and, most importantly, we expanded Xbox to go beyond great gaming to deliver all the entertainment people want — sports, music, movies, live television and much more.

In the past month, the IEB team showed for the first time here on our Redmond campus, and again at E3, how we are going to continue to transform entertainment with Xbox One. I am incredibly proud of the work and vision culminating in Xbox One.

I’m particularly excited about how Xbox pushes forward our devices and services transformation by bringing together the best of Microsoft. The consoles are incredible all-in-one devices with built-in services that consumers love, including Bing, Xbox Live, Internet Explorer, SkyDrive and Skype. And, just as important, Xbox Games, Xbox Video, Xbox Music and SmartGlass light up Windows PCs, tablets and phones.

Thank you, Don, for setting us on a path to completely redefine the entertainment industry. The strong leadership team at IEB and their teams are well positioned to deliver the next-generation entertainment console, as well as transformative entertainment experiences, long into the future.

Steve

What exactly doesn't sound good about it?
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 66
OXM Moderator

Postby Insaneyokel » 02 Jul 2013, 07:35

There was me thinking that the next time we heard his name was when he was given a high powered job at Sony to thank him for all his work he has done for them in the past few months :P
Twitter: @RMRedmanAuthor
Gamertag: RONA79
Insaneyokel 47

Postby Roland of Gilead » 02 Jul 2013, 08:52

T-meredith wrote:I think Peter Molyneux should run it, to be fair he is always talking about innovation so i think he could bring something new and fresh to the company!

Peter Molyneux:- "The all new xbox one, won't have a controller, it will be controlled by your brainwaves. It will literally make you taller, smarter and stronger. To top it off, it comes with a chicken suit, because I think they're funny."

Xbox one is released, and does none of the above. Molyneux, as always, looks like a muppet, and has lied to people spending money on his new pet project.

The guy needs to take a long walk off a short pier. The best thing he ever did for the games industry was leave Lionhead.
Roland of Gilead 15

Postby vadersmyfather » 02 Jul 2013, 09:02

I'm surprised that he's allowed to leave and start at a new company so quickly, you'd expect some form of notice or gardening leave.

I wonder whether it was his decision to reverse policies recently. Maybe he was unhappy with that.
Last edited by vadersmyfather on 02 Jul 2013, 10:43, edited 1 time in total.
I cnduo't bvleiee taht I culod aulaclty uesdtannrd waht I was rdnaieg. Unisg the icndeblire pweor of the hmuan mnid it dseno't mttaer the oderr the lterets in a wrod are, the olny irpoamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer are in the rhgit pclae.
vadersmyfather 47

Next