to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Forza 5's audio revolution - lion roars, human screaming and

Your comments on our articles.

Video: Jonty chats to Turn 10 about weaving sound effects, backing tracks and gameplay together

Think Turn 10's a tad over-obsessed with how cars look? Just wait till you hear about Forza Motorsport 5's dynamic audio design, which recreates not just how cars sound but how they sound in a multitude of circumstances, even changing the score to suit. OXM's Jon Hicks had a chance to discuss the fine details with creative audio director Nick Wiswell during a trip to Turn 10's HQ in May - read about and watch his experiences below.... read more

Forza 5's audio revolution - lion roars, human screaming and

Postby senote » 03 Jul 2013, 18:09

This sounds to me like Forza is going to have another shitty soundtrack :(
senote 24

Re: Forza 5's audio revolution - lion roars, human screaming

Postby Windowlicker79 » 03 Jul 2013, 19:02

This sounds like it could be very impressive. A lot of games are let down by poor audio so it'd be nice to hear something that's had a lot of work put into it. Will also give my home cinema set-up a good workout! :)
ಠ_ಠ
Windowlicker79 54

Postby Bezza89 » 03 Jul 2013, 19:25

I misread some of it to the extent I really want what I misread - it was Kinect tracking you as you are playing and changing the sound mixing levels to behave with how you are in your room, ie, you turn your head and you get the sounds changing to wherever you turned.

It's probably impossible and I don't even understand it fully, but this is what I want Kinect for, weird bullshimp ideas.
It's all in the game...
Bezza89 65

Postby Windowlicker79 » 03 Jul 2013, 19:29

Bezza89 wrote:I misread some of it to the extent I really want what I misread - it was Kinect tracking you as you are playing and changing the sound mixing levels to behave with how you are in your room, ie, you turn your head and you get the sounds changing to wherever you turned.

It's probably impossible and I don't even understand it fully, but this is what I want Kinect for, weird bullshimp ideas.

Erm, that's pretty much exactly how home cinema surround sound works. You have speakers at the front and behind, so if you turn your head you continue to hear the sound coming from the correct direction. I'm not really sure how Kinect could possibly improve it.
ಠ_ಠ
Windowlicker79 54

Postby Bezza89 » 03 Jul 2013, 19:44

They're fixed though, and you might be an idiot.

With my batshit idea you don't need to place the surround sound in logical positions, or if you have and haven't sat directly in optimum position the Kinect tracks you and alters the mixing for best sound. So if you don't want to sit in your optimum seat it redoes everything to your new position, or sees there's two on the sofa etc.

Of course, if you're not an idiot your surround sound is perfectly attuned to where you sit and know my idea is a little too bold.
It's all in the game...
Bezza89 65

Postby Grummy » 03 Jul 2013, 20:09

Bezza89 wrote:They're fixed though, and you might be an idiot.

With my batshit idea you don't need to place the surround sound in logical positions, or if you have and haven't sat directly in optimum position the Kinect tracks you and alters the mixing for best sound. So if you don't want to sit in your optimum seat it redoes everything to your new position, or sees there's two on the sofa etc.

Of course, if you're not an idiot your surround sound is perfectly attuned to where you sit and know my idea is a little too bold.

You might want to reword that dude, it sounds like you're calling WL an idiot.....
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 64
OXM Moderator

Postby Bezza89 » 03 Jul 2013, 20:24

Can I not just say I'm not? My whole point revolves around someone inexperienced buying surround sound and not setting it up correctly - aka an idiot.

There's clarification anyway. You big numpty.

:wink:
It's all in the game...
Bezza89 65

Postby Disilluzioned » 04 Jul 2013, 10:38

The musical wizardry is wasted on me, I'm afraid. In-race music is the first thing I turn off when I start playing a new Forza game. The engine's all the soundtrack I need!
Disilluzioned 10

Postby Windowlicker79 » 04 Jul 2013, 11:16

Bezza89 wrote:They're fixed though, and you might be an idiot.

Well I'm not an idiot I can guarantee you that.
Most half decent home cinema systems already have such a function built in. My Onkyo AV amp has a multidirectional microphone and when you clap it uses that mic and also uses the speakers as microphones to locate your position in the room (based on millisecond differences in the time it takes the sound of your clap to reach the mic/speakers) in order to set audio levels correctly. It even delays sound from certain speakers that might be closer to your seating position than other speakers so the sound hits your ears at the right time from all speakers. Its very easy to set up. As I said this is a pretty standard feature of home cinema AV amplifiers nowadays.
The speakers are in a fixed position for a reason. They need to relate directly with the position of the TV. The centre needs to be in the centre and the satellites need to be located either side of the screen and to the rear. If they're anywhere else the surround sound simply wont work properly.
With regards to using Kinect to detect the amount of people listening, there is very little they would be able to do to improve the sound for more than one person. If two people are sat on the same sofa the audio they hear is going to be almost exactly the same. Any differences would not be detectable through the human ear.

EDIT: Actually that was my old amp. My current one produces tones from each speaker that the mic picks up to automatically set up audio levels.
ಠ_ಠ
Windowlicker79 54

Postby SpazldNinjaDude » 04 Jul 2013, 14:06

Loving the sound of what they are doing with the Soundtrack, and the engine stuff sounds brilliant, hope it is a massive step up than 4s which was a small step up on 3s.
SpazldNinjaDude 5

Postby Bezza89 » 04 Jul 2013, 19:04

Windowlicker79 wrote:Most half decent home cinema systems already have such a function built in.

Then it would seem I am the idiot for not knowing this :P
It's all in the game...
Bezza89 65

Postby Windowlicker79 » 05 Jul 2013, 02:21

Bezza89 wrote:
Windowlicker79 wrote:Most half decent home cinema systems already have such a function built in.

Then it would seem I am the idiot for not knowing this :P

lol not really! If you're not into home cinema separates then you might not know about it. Although some of the all-in-one-box home cinema systems sometimes have that feature too.
If you've not got surround sound set-up with you console then you're really missing out!
ಠ_ಠ
Windowlicker79 54

Postby InitialD » 05 Jul 2013, 09:56

Really excited about the next installation of Forza.

Ok; so Horizon was not it's finest hour (imo). Bring me classic track based racing any day!!

The only thing I ask is can the Forza audio engineers please accurately make the sound of the Subaru Impreza boxer engine actually burble like a real Subaru. Such a fantastic noise on tick over.
OXM resident party pooper

"This Xbox lifestyle can't surely be healthy.."
InitialD 14

Postby Bezza89 » 05 Jul 2013, 10:00

Windowlicker79 wrote:lol not really! If you're not into home cinema separates then you might not know about it. Although some of the all-in-one-box home cinema systems sometimes have that feature too.
If you've not got surround sound set-up with you console then you're really missing out!

I have a 2.1 set up, use my jbls instead of the supplied speakers with my sub woofer, I can't really upgrade to 5 or 7.1 cos I live with my parents and barely use my subwoofer cos I'll keep them awake all night (when I game generally). I know I'm missing out, everyone always goes on about graphics, but sound is so important, it's why bluray films are amazing.
It's all in the game...
Bezza89 65

Postby Metalrodent » 05 Jul 2013, 13:48

Human screaming

Does this mean the game will finally have a decent metal soundtrack then? :wink:
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 67

Next