Xbox Live sale - Witcher 2, Crysis 3, Forza Horizon, Left 4

Your comments on our articles.

Plus 11 other titles on sale all week

The Xbox Live Ultimate Sale rolls onward and, it turns out, upward - today's offerings are the stuff of pixie dust and goldmines indeed. The standout is probably The Orange Box - that's Half-Life 2 and its two add-on Episodes, Team Fortress 2 and Portal - for under a fiver. Already bought it? Perhaps I can tempt you with Forza Horizon for £12, or The Witcher 2 for £9.... read more

Postby msbhvn » 04 Jul 2013, 10:15

They fixed Perfect Dark Zero yesterday, it's now £2.69.

Tempted by Crysis 3 at that price, but I'm waiting for Tomb Raider.
The new first law of the internet: For every action, there is an irrational and disproportionate social media overreaction.
msbhvn 69

Postby Johnbhoy69 » 04 Jul 2013, 10:15

Ive heard The Witcher 2 has a great story but the combat is a bit iffy, at £8.99 should I persevere?
Johnbhoy69 56

Postby AllusiveTurtle » 04 Jul 2013, 10:18

See, now this is why having some kind of compulsive hoarding disorder really makes the eye water; I have every one of these titles, every one of them was bought as a pre-order- yet I have still to open and play Forza Horizon, Witcher 2, Left 4 Dead 2 and Red Alert! :oops:

But, having finished New Vegas last night, I have a recent backlog to get through as well; with Hitman 5, Fuse, Remember Me, Star Trek (don't say anything!), The Last of Us (sorry!), and Deadpool all sitting waiting to be opened. Not sure where to start really! :roll:
Last edited by AllusiveTurtle on 04 Jul 2013, 11:33, edited 3 times in total.
AllusiveTurtle 44

Re: Xbox Live sale - Witcher 2, Crysis 3, Forza Horizon, Lef

Postby Currambo » 04 Jul 2013, 10:20

Johnbhoy69 wrote:Ive heard The Witcher 2 has a great story but the combat is a bit iffy, at £8.99 should I persevere?

YES! Im not even a huge fan of Fantasy settings, can't stand Elder Scrolls stroylines for example, but this is SOOO good. The combat just takes some getting used to as well, on the xbox version there's an arena mode in the main menu where you can practice... cos the story dumps you in the deep end a little bit!

Great game for a great price my man!
Currambo 54

Postby OXM ETboy » 04 Jul 2013, 10:20

Thanks, Bezza - edited.

The Witcher 2's definitely worth a shot, Johnbhoy - the combat's a little compromised by the fact that it's not quite real-time, but is otherwise substantial and testing. Beware the boobies, though. The Witcher universe is rather, shall we say, male-oriented.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby vadersmyfather » 04 Jul 2013, 10:57

OXM ETboy wrote:Beware the boobies, though. The Witcher universe is rather, shall we say, male-oriented.

I am failing to see a downside to this.
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
vadersmyfather 50

Postby Johnbhoy69 » 04 Jul 2013, 11:06

Witcher 2 is downloading... :lol:
Johnbhoy69 56

Postby Brimstone » 04 Jul 2013, 11:12

I'm a reasonably new X-box owner and EVERYONE I've ever spoken to about the live service says to NEVER put your credit card details on their site. That's including staff members at GAME/Gamestation.

How safe is it ? Some of the On Demand sale stuff is quite tempting but i'm very wary of using the service. Any help ? Is there a trick to it?
Brimstone 53

Postby Johnbhoy69 » 04 Jul 2013, 11:17

Brimstone wrote:I'm a reasonably new X-box owner and EVERYONE I've ever spoken to about the live service says to NEVER put your credit card details on their site. That's including staff members at GAME/Gamestation.

How safe is it ? Some of the On Demand sale stuff is quite tempting but i'm very wary of using the service. Any help ? Is there a trick to it?

Maybe they meant never put your details on PSN, as it got hacked and was very embarrassing for Sony.
Johnbhoy69 56

Postby ItchyRash » 04 Jul 2013, 11:19

Brimstone wrote:I'm a reasonably new X-box owner and EVERYONE I've ever spoken to about the live service says to NEVER put your credit card details on their site. That's including staff members at GAME/Gamestation.

If you have young children that may be prone to spending upwards of £2000 without realising then maybe not a great idea but otherwise i've never had any issues with Xbox Live especially with car details. I would say it's very secure
ItchyRash 43

Postby Metalrodent » 04 Jul 2013, 11:21

ItchyRash wrote:i've never had any issues with Xbox Live especially with car details. I would say it's very secure

I was unaware Microsoft did insurance :lol:
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 72

Postby tjam84 » 04 Jul 2013, 11:22

Never had any problems myself. Nor any of my friends. I have my debit card details on there, it doesnt have to be a credit card despite what they say. The only problem I've heard of is cancelling a card can be a pain, but that is only really an issue if you're a gold member.
tjam84 43

Postby tjam84 » 04 Jul 2013, 11:28

Johnbhoy69 wrote:Ive heard The Witcher 2 has a great story but the combat is a bit iffy, at £8.99 should I persevere?

Yes the combat is a bit poor at times. However the games strong points aren't ironically the gameplay. The story is excellent and the atmosphere engaging. The whole thing is presented brilliantly too.
What it does best though, is what so many games (ie the walking dead) promised yet failed to do. That is to change things based on the decisions you make. The storyline branches off in different ways and there are new areas to explore depending on your choices.
Overall at 8.99 its a steal.
tjam84 43

Postby Starskream » 04 Jul 2013, 11:53

Putting your card details onto the Xbox is totally fine as noone, not even yourself can see them once they're stored on XboxLive. At one point my account got hacked by someone and they started buying and downloading Fifa Ultimate team stuff onto their Xbox using my account but they couldn't actually get my details and after a short conversation with MS on the phone I was fully refunded what they spent and they gave me 6 months Gold for free which wasn't so bad at all. The only downside to that was my account was frozen for a week or so while they ran an investigation into who actually hacked the account and how. Turned out to be someone in Brazil using some sort of program that at the time was able to crack the passwords through Xbox.com but ive heard this has been fixed now with the security proofs thing.
Starskream 42

Postby NinthGeorgesw » 04 Jul 2013, 12:05

If you really don't want to use your credit card you can buy on demand games with Microsoft Points.
NinthGeorgesw 42

Next