More Dark Souls 2 details arrive - Guard Break, new Pyromanc

Your comments on our articles.

Presentation slides reveal multitude of interesting tweaks

Here's how I know I'm a Dark Souls fan: I'm prepared to get hilariously over-excited about the ability to shoot arrows from two different quivers without switching via the D-pad. New details of Dark Souls 2's core bits have surfaced in Famitsu, care of Reddit. The below is a fan translation of slides from a Japanese presentation, so treat with mild caution for the moment.... read more

More Dark Souls 2 details arrive - Guard Break, new Pyromanc

Postby Johnbhoy69 » 04 Jul 2013, 11:30

I hope players like me who prefer to be sword and shield type characters get improved defensive options against magic users.
Johnbhoy69 56
 
Posts: 967
Joined: 22 Dec 2011, 20:29
Location: United Kingdom

Re: More Dark Souls 2 details arrive - Guard Break, new Pyro

Postby RedBelmont » 04 Jul 2013, 12:38

Johnbhoy69 wrote:I hope players like me who prefer to be sword and shield type characters get improved defensive options against magic users.


Yeah, too often when I go looking for a straight up sword fight in PvP I run into weapon buffs and dark magic. I'm not complaining about their tactics, I just wish I had some way to counter all the magic that's constantly coming my way.

For example as I normally like to be nimble most of my builds have light/medium armour, but the other day I started using a heavy set (stone giant) and I don't stand a chance against magic users for the most part. May be because I'm not used to it I admit but there does seem like very little I can do to fend off magic other than learn some spells myself.

---

The article mentioned a guard break against "shield turtlers", doesn't Dark Souls already have this in the sense that once you deplete the enemies stamina they stagger for an easy opening, even happens with AI like Silver/Black Knights?
The Danger Zone
RedBelmont 31
 
Posts: 45
Joined: 25 Nov 2012, 00:37

Re: More Dark Souls 2 details arrive - Guard Break, new Pyro

Postby OXM ETboy » 04 Jul 2013, 12:53

By the sounds of it, the guard break move is a riposte-style execution thing you can perform once you stagger somebody. That's mostly speculation on my part, however.
User avatar
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff
 
Posts: 3623
Joined: 09 Mar 2011, 18:07

Re: More Dark Souls 2 details arrive - Guard Break, new Pyro

Postby msbhvn » 04 Jul 2013, 13:04

I want some decent unique Faith weapons in DS2. There's only Astora's Straight Sword (useless except at the very beginning) and Grant (which requires 50 Strength and 30 Faith just to wield) in Dark Souls. They didn't even fix it in the DLC, adding nothing for Faith characters at all.
The new first law of the internet: For every action, there is an irrational and disproportionate social media overreaction.
User avatar
msbhvn 69
 
Posts: 4412
Joined: 04 Oct 2010, 19:10
Location: United Kingdom

Re: More Dark Souls 2 details arrive - Guard Break, new Pyro

Postby RedBelmont » 04 Jul 2013, 14:07

msbhvn wrote:I want some decent unique Faith weapons in DS2. There's only Astora's Straight Sword (useless except at the very beginning) and Grant (which requires 50 Strength and 30 Faith just to wield) in Dark Souls. They didn't even fix it in the DLC, adding nothing for Faith characters at all.


True Greatsword of Artorias (one of the best weapons) is a faith weapon sir!
The Danger Zone
RedBelmont 31
 
Posts: 45
Joined: 25 Nov 2012, 00:37

Re: More Dark Souls 2 details arrive - Guard Break, new Pyro

Postby msbhvn » 04 Jul 2013, 14:14

RedBelmont wrote:
msbhvn wrote:I want some decent unique Faith weapons in DS2. There's only Astora's Straight Sword (useless except at the very beginning) and Grant (which requires 50 Strength and 30 Faith just to wield) in Dark Souls. They didn't even fix it in the DLC, adding nothing for Faith characters at all.


True Greatsword of Artorias (one of the best weapons) is a faith weapon sir!


It also requires 20 Intelligence and a Cleric starts with 8. Although you could add some sorcery with the Tin Darkmoon Catalyst...

Looks like my Cleric has some work to do in NG+.
The new first law of the internet: For every action, there is an irrational and disproportionate social media overreaction.
User avatar
msbhvn 69
 
Posts: 4412
Joined: 04 Oct 2010, 19:10
Location: United Kingdom

Re: More Dark Souls 2 details arrive - Guard Break, new Pyro

Postby RedBelmont » 04 Jul 2013, 20:29

msbhvn wrote:I want some decent unique Faith weapons in DS2. There's only Astora's Straight Sword (useless except at the very beginning) and Grant (which requires 50 Strength and 30 Faith just to wield) in Dark Souls. They didn't even fix it in the DLC, adding nothing for Faith characters at all.


Crescent Axe sold by Patches also has built in holy effect and star reqs are reasonably low, hope this helps
The Danger Zone
RedBelmont 31
 
Posts: 45
Joined: 25 Nov 2012, 00:37

Re: More Dark Souls 2 details arrive - Guard Break, new Pyro

Postby PonderingWalrus » 05 Jul 2013, 08:01

msbhvn wrote:I want some decent unique Faith weapons in DS2. There's only Astora's Straight Sword (useless except at the very beginning) and Grant (which requires 50 Strength and 30 Faith just to wield) in Dark Souls. They didn't even fix it in the DLC, adding nothing for Faith characters at all.


I am pretty sure Ornstein's Spear is a faith weapon and it is the only weapon with scaling lightning damage.
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
User avatar
PonderingWalrus 42
 
Posts: 702
Joined: 26 Nov 2012, 22:12
Location: United Kingdom

Re: More Dark Souls 2 details arrive - Guard Break, new Pyro

Postby PonderingWalrus » 05 Jul 2013, 08:08

RedBelmont wrote:
Johnbhoy69 wrote:I hope players like me who prefer to be sword and shield type characters get improved defensive options against magic users.


Yeah, too often when I go looking for a straight up sword fight in PvP I run into weapon buffs and dark magic. I'm not complaining about their tactics, I just wish I had some way to counter all the magic that's constantly coming my way.

For example as I normally like to be nimble most of my builds have light/medium armour, but the other day I started using a heavy set (stone giant) and I don't stand a chance against magic users for the most part. May be because I'm not used to it I admit but there does seem like very little I can do to fend off magic other than learn some spells myself.


I am inclined to disagree. Although miracles and sorceries do provide some fantastic forms of magic defense there are definitely other ways to deal with spell casters. Using a shield with high magic defence, for instance, can negate most magic damage through blocking. You can also just simply roll out of the way of a majority of things thrown at you.

The only kind of magic in the game I have truly had trouble with is the Dark Abyss Sorceries; they seem very powerful and I don't actually know if magic defence protects you from them. That said, I am pretty sure there is a pendant you can acquire which you can use to deflect them.
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
User avatar
PonderingWalrus 42
 
Posts: 702
Joined: 26 Nov 2012, 22:12
Location: United Kingdom


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

The forum teamDelete all forum cookiesAll times are UTC [ DST ]
cron