to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Xbox One is "built for advertising", but Microsoft will "pro

Your comments on our articles.

New Kinect opens up new ad opportunities

Xbox One is designed with adverts in mind, a number of Microsoft staff have told Stick Twiddlers in an interview - advertisers may take advantage of Kinect's facial recognition features to serve up user-tailored offers while you're watching TV shows or playing games. That said, the manufacturer is "very keen" to avoid abusing the trust of its customers.... read more

Postby senote » 04 Jul 2013, 12:31

I've always been annoyed at the amount of advertising on the dashboard considering I pay £40 a year for gold membership
senote 24

Re: Xbox One is "built for advertising", but Microsoft will

Postby s17pur » 04 Jul 2013, 12:36

This is the kind of story that the internet will get angry at. You would like to think that Microsoft getting more money from adverts would benefit Xbox gamers in the long run though (more investment in games, etc.). I'd like them to offer some assurance that there won't be more adverts though, just better targeted adverts. Twitter have done a similar thing recently - advertisers pay more money for targeted adverts. Also I guess advertisers could pay Microsoft to add an interactive element to their existing TV adverts, like some already do with the 'red button'.
s17pur 19

Postby Chloe Camp » 04 Jul 2013, 12:37

This is yet another reason Microsoft are pushing more and more people towards the ps4 I have been with Microsoft consoles since the original console was made loved the Xbox 360 but this new so called Xbox one is a shocking console far to big we don't want kinect for a start and we don't wanna be spied on by unknown people and company's and what's the point in all this TV rubbish if you still need a set top box connected to the console its pointless it would be good if the Xbox replaced the set top box but as it don't its a pointless thing to include Microsoft don't give gamers what we want all we want is a fair priced gaming console with a headset included nothing more take off the kinect rubbish and lower the price to £300 then maybe you might win this gen otherwise Sony will be top dog this gen I'm giving Microsoft 1 month otherwise I'm pretty ordering a PlayStation 4 at least they give us a headset and care about us gamers unlike Microsoft who are more interested in there cash and TV rubbish sort it out Microsoft or goodbye Indead !.
Chloe Camp 16

Postby HadoukenMorris » 04 Jul 2013, 12:38

Oh joy, I wanted more adverts on the XBOX anyways.
HadoukenMorris 29

Postby s17pur » 04 Jul 2013, 12:49

Chloe Camp wrote:This is yet another reason Microsoft are pushing more and more people towards the ps4 I have been with Microsoft consoles since the original console was made loved the Xbox 360 but this new so called Xbox one is a shocking console far to big we don't want kinect for a start and we don't wanna be spied on by unknown people and company's and what's the point in all this TV rubbish if you still need a set top box connected to the console its pointless it would be good if the Xbox replaced the set top box but as it don't its a pointless thing to include Microsoft don't give gamers what we want all we want is a fair priced gaming console with a headset included nothing more take off the kinect rubbish and lower the price to £300 then maybe you might win this gen otherwise Sony will be top dog this gen I'm giving Microsoft 1 month otherwise I'm pretty ordering a PlayStation 4 at least they give us a headset and care about us gamers unlike Microsoft who are more interested in there cash and TV rubbish sort it out Microsoft or goodbye Indead !.

I'm not sure who this 'we' is that you're referring to, because you certainly don't speak for me. The features of the new Kinect are actually quite appealing, as is the TV stuff. As for being 'spied on', it is no more the case with Xbox One than it is with Facebook, Twitter, Google or frankly 90% of websites. Microsoft can charge a lot more for targeted ads and so in theory could actually show less ads in total. If you genuinely believe that Sony 'care' about gamers, then in my opinion you are sadly misguided. Companies care about money, in order to do so they might create the illusion that they care about gamers, but they only do so with the ultimate goal of making money. The one thing I think I do agree with you on, is that it is a mistake not to include a headset with the console, something that 'caring' Sony did with the PS3.
s17pur 19

Postby OXM ETboy » 04 Jul 2013, 12:51

I wonder whether Microsoft's considered letting people pay a little more on top of the Gold sub to remove ads from the dash.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby msbhvn » 04 Jul 2013, 12:56

Why announce this? Haven't MS had enough of bad publicity? :roll:
I don't get the appeal at all. Like what do they do... say something stupid then read the replies while they touch themselves? - Vampyre_Ghost on trolls.
msbhvn 66

Postby senote » 04 Jul 2013, 13:02

What's funny is MS are always hating on Google for using your information to target ads, and here they are actually bragging about doing the same thing.
senote 24

Postby senote » 04 Jul 2013, 13:08

s17pur wrote: If you genuinely believe that Sony 'care' about gamers, then in my opinion you are sadly misguided. Companies care about money, in order to do so they might create the illusion that they care about gamers, but they only do so with the ultimate goal of making money. The one thing I think I do agree with you on, is that it is a mistake not to include a headset with the console, something that 'caring' Sony did with the PS3.

If either 'cared about gamers' they wouldn't be ditching a back catalogue of some of the best games ever made. And the reason Sony didn't include a headset with the PS3 was because they never really had a need for a headset. When I had my PS3 I bought a headset and it was a waste of money, only people who talk are French people and they all speak French pfffft.
senote 24

Postby SilentDark » 04 Jul 2013, 13:11

s17pur wrote:This is the kind of story that the internet will get angry at. You would like to think that Microsoft getting more money from adverts would benefit Xbox gamers in the long run though (more investment in games, etc.). I'd like them to offer some assurance that there won't be more adverts though, just better targeted adverts. Twitter have done a similar thing recently - advertisers pay more money for targeted adverts. Also I guess advertisers could pay Microsoft to add an interactive element to their existing TV adverts, like some already do with the 'red button'.

This would probably be less of an issue if A) less was actually locked behind the Gold pay wall, and B) paying £40 a year actually eliminated or at the very least reduced the number of ads by a meaningful amount. Where exactly does that £40 go if MS still needs advertising revenue to fund everything?
"You're an interesting fellow as always. I will once again become your hope."
SilentDark 62

Postby yunoyuluvit » 04 Jul 2013, 13:14

The money for all of those new Live servers has to come from somewhere! :wink: Personally, I've never been too bothered by the current ad's. Time will tell if these new ones do.
yunoyuluvit 38

Postby mpear » 04 Jul 2013, 13:34

Successful tests in these contexts can start at 0.1% take-up; that's why people cold call, and you know how irritating that is. Imagine watching your favourite program and constantly being dombarded with offers from the closest pizza chain. Another reason to tape up the camera or buy a ps4
mpear 2

Postby Metalrodent » 04 Jul 2013, 13:39

That said, the manufacturer is "very keen" to avoid abusing the trust of its customers.

I think they alreay did that when they put ads on the current xbox, as if £45 a year weren't enough they have to bombard us with ads too.

I was so f**king annoyed when Halo Waypoint started having ads before its vids
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 67

Postby Guilty Sparks » 04 Jul 2013, 14:06

Metalrodent wrote:
That said, the manufacturer is "very keen" to avoid abusing the trust of its customers.

I think they alreay did that when they put ads on the current xbox, as if £45 a year weren't enough they have to bombard us with ads too.

I was so f**king annoyed when Halo Waypoint started having ads before its vids

I have to agree with you 100% especially with the Halo Waypoint aspect, its infuriating to see them use the same thirty second advert for the Kinect every other video... I have a Kinect Microsoft and yes, its utterly useless three years on... stop trying to sell me another.
Oracle? Great Journey? Why do you meddlers insist on using such inaccurate verbiage?
Guilty Sparks 37

Postby FishyGinger » 04 Jul 2013, 14:09

Metalrodent wrote:

£45 is enough though, in fact it's about £5 more than enough really.
I have given pleasure to the world because I have such a beautiful ass.
FishyGinger 66

Next