to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

EA: HD gaming costs means there are 80% fewer AAA teams this

Your comments on our articles.

"As we evolved, our costs went substantially up."

There are substantially fewer developers working the ever-inadequately defined "AAA" circuit this generation, EA's chief creative officer Richard Hilleman has alleged in a new report. What's to blame? HD gaming, apparently.... read more

EA: HD gaming costs means there are 80% fewer AAA teams this

Postby skinnypigeon » 04 Jul 2013, 17:22

Hence the need for indy devs who did more to define this generation than HD graphics for me.
skinnypigeon 13

Re: EA: HD gaming costs means there are 80% fewer AAA teams

Postby Jigster1 » 04 Jul 2013, 17:39

skinnypigeon wrote:Hence the need for indy devs who did more to define this generation than HD graphics for me.

I think both have defied this generation! The first half for me was the HD graphics etc such as Gears Of War, Mass Effect etc and now the latter half of this generation with small innovated indie games. it just shows how far games have come since this gen began and how far they will go during Next-Gen!
Jigster1 46

Postby Matty D » 04 Jul 2013, 17:45

And what Microsoft had initially planned to do would have gone a long way to help with this... More money in developers pockets, more AAA titles!!

Maybe next gen, eh?
You ever see an elephant in your custard?
Matty D 17

Postby senote » 04 Jul 2013, 18:42

Matty D wrote:And what Microsoft had initially planned to do would have gone a long way to help with this... More money in developers pockets, more AAA titles!!

Maybe next gen, eh?

Are you referring to the whole pre-owned sales thing on XB1? If so you make it sound like it's the peoples fault for being angry about it, it's not it's MS's fault for not only screwing up the whole thing, but doing it in such an epic manner they couldn't recover.

If you're referring to something else then .... umm maybe.
senote 27

Postby SilentDark » 04 Jul 2013, 20:51

Matty D wrote:And what Microsoft had initially planned to do would have gone a long way to help with this... More money in developers pockets, more AAA titles!!

Maybe next gen, eh?

Given that fewer people were planning on purchasing one I don't think it would have had that much of an impact myself.

Given how little importance I place on graphics, if HD visuals are breaking the bank for mega corporations like EA I'd be happy for them to go back to SD visuals. In fact it might force devs to get creative to keep people's interest.
You know, Hitler wasn't all bad, after all, he did kill Hitler.
SilentDark 65

Postby lostinpost » 04 Jul 2013, 20:54

I could have sworn that just the other day EA were boasting about their new universal software engine that is going to cut development costs and time?

Seems a bit of a strange thing to announce though, unless it's just the pre-cursor to another "unavoidable" and unpopular move.
Increased game prices? Return of the online pass?
lostinpost 23

Postby winter » 05 Jul 2013, 03:39

Maybe next gen, eh?

Right?? Honestly, the main thing I want them to do is kill off the used games industry... I have bought used games in the past, but that's because they had none new, and I really wanter to play them. I'd say around 97% of my games are new, not used. I feel horrible when buying used games since devs don't get mpney... The only thing I kind of didn't like was check-ins. I would hate for there to be a huge storm or something and not even be able to play single player. I pre-ordered anyways since I love it.
winter 17

Postby winter » 05 Jul 2013, 03:41

lostinpost wrote:I could have sworn that just the other day EA were boasting about their new universal software engine that is going to cut development costs and time?

Seems a bit of a strange thing to announce though, unless it's just the pre-cursor to another "unavoidable" and unpopular move.

Game prices will be the same. As for Online Passes, I doubt it. If they killed of the used game industry, it would help devs out though.
winter 17

Postby SilentDark » 05 Jul 2013, 04:41

winter wrote:
lostinpost wrote:I could have sworn that just the other day EA were boasting about their new universal software engine that is going to cut development costs and time?

Game prices will be the same. As for Online Passes, I doubt it. If they killed of the used game industry, it would help devs out though.

And then those devs that complained about the used games industry will be moaning at how sales of ther titles are slowing down because people can't afford £40 on generic shooter 6 or whatever (or are simply unprepared to drop £40 on what is essentially the same game as last year with different maps) the biggest problem here is a lack of control I think. Tomb Raider was one of the biggest games of the year, sold over 3 million and yet was considered a failure, either Square-Enix had insanely high hopes for the franchise, or the costs got so out of control that basically everyone would have to buy it twice for them to turn a tidy profit. If devs and publishers don't sort out their spending I can see another video game crash on the horizon.
You know, Hitler wasn't all bad, after all, he did kill Hitler.
SilentDark 65

Postby wotsahotspotnot » 05 Jul 2013, 14:17

The used games market, and the ability to lend to a friend too, is a GOOD thing, not a bad thing. PLEASE don't fall for this used witch-hunt that the suits have instigated. It's fuelled by their greed, not our benefit.
The theory sounds right enough, but because of lending and second hand there are MORE people exposed to a new franchise than there otherwise would have been. It's the job of the developers and publishers to take this higher number of gamers (and of Sony and MS to mitigate their ideas) and come up with ways to get gamers not to want to sell their game back in the first place if they bought it new, and give gamers reasons to buy it new if they didn't. There are lots of ways to do this. Offer free DLC with every new copy. Even buy any unwanted copy back THEMSELVES and resell at a reduced price THEMSELVES. They might even think about incrementally reducing their own prices of their new copies of games to compete with retailers prices for the used equivalents, while at the same time offering that free DLC which would still be valid cos it's still an unused copy. It seems to me if all parties really wanted to, they could do any and all of those things and more, but their greed is the deciding factor. The CEO's and big shots have leeched on gaming, AAA in particular, and will continue to take all the money they can from it until the money dries up, then they'll move on to the next pot of gold.
Ok, I've gone a little off the subject I guess, but my main argument here is, the developers and publishers together with MS, Sony and Nintendo (though I know less about Nintendo) are trying to break the used market without offering one single thing in return.
Take this analogy: If the console games market is like a room, and you wanna get more people in that room, you don't raise the floor (or raise the price at the low end), in the long run you'll get less people in the room. You can raise the ceiling (increased prices by way of special editions etc), and extend the side walls (offer better value withing the existing pricing framework or as a developer/publisher buy back used copies and resell them yourself), but raising the floor is business suicide and will ultimately hurt the rest us too.

The used games market is the Free-Market at work, a solution to high prices that put higher end gaming out of reach for some people, and it may not be perfect but it sure isn't the evil, Satanic thing it's being made out to be, either. I think it's also quite telling that although I'm flying in the face of the line coming out of company babblespeak as a whole, if you speak to individuals in the games industry WITHOUT their company hat on, the overwhelming majority of them believe the used market has a rightful place and it's the companies they work for that need to do the changing.

Ok, so I just read this back, and wow it's all over the place. The argument is fine but I'm jumping from one thing to the next and back again, incoherently. Apologies for that.
Jesus Saves...Before every boss battle.
wotsahotspotnot 35

Postby lostinpost » 06 Jul 2013, 17:00

After over 30 years of creating games, suddenly trade in and 2nd hand is a problem?!?!
Where is the proof that used games have caused, or even played a part in, the demise of any games publisher.
Only the person in possession of the disc can play the game. The game only comes with one licence, and the first owner has paid for it fair and square, with the money going to the appropriate people.
Microsoft is making 4 billion dollars annually out of Xbox Live, 8 million Xbox's have been bought in the UK, a worldwide total of 100 million Xbox 360's predicted, the games industry was worth $68billion in 2012 and is predicted to be worth $83billion by 2016...during one of the bleakest global financial climates ever.
And what do we hear?
We need to stop used games to stay in business
We need more advertising to stay in business
We need more DLC and micro-transactions to stay in business

They are generating a serious amount of money while bleating on about being robbed by used game buyers.
Do Microsoft and the game publishers really want to get into an ethical argument about their rights, while also announcing that they intend to make money by monitoring your actions in your own home?
lostinpost 23

Postby wotsahotspotnot » 07 Jul 2013, 11:52

lostinpost wrote:After over 30 years of creating games, suddenly trade in and 2nd hand is a problem?!?!
Where is the proof that used games have caused, or even played a part in, the demise of any games publisher.
Only the person in possession of the disc can play the game. The game only comes with one licence, and the first owner has paid for it fair and square, with the money going to the appropriate people.
Microsoft is making 4 billion dollars annually out of Xbox Live, 8 million Xbox's have been bought in the UK, a worldwide total of 100 million Xbox 360's predicted, the games industry was worth $68billion in 2012 and is predicted to be worth $83billion by 2016...during one of the bleakest global financial climates ever.
And what do we hear?
We need to stop used games to stay in business
We need more advertising to stay in business
We need more DLC and micro-transactions to stay in business

They are generating a serious amount of money while bleating on about being robbed by used game buyers.
Do Microsoft and the game publishers really want to get into an ethical argument about their rights, while also announcing that they intend to make money by monitoring your actions in your own home?

Thank you for that. Your post was so much more coherent than mine :)
Jesus Saves...Before every boss battle.
wotsahotspotnot 35