to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Beta registration for Xbox Live Update 2013 now open via Xbo

Your comments on our articles.

Update: Registration now closed with "overwhelming demand for participation".

Major Nelson has just announced that registration has opened for the 2013 Xbox Live Update Public Beta for the Xbox 360. One of the key features of the update will be the ability to complete transactions using local currency, after Microsoft announced plans to discontinue the use of Microsoft Points during E3 this year.... read more

Postby SpazldNinjaDude » 05 Jul 2013, 10:53

I want to know what is going to happen to left over points (so points sitting on my account doing nothing), I am using the Rewards program to save up for a name change (as I don't want to pay directly for it) but I want to know will they be converted to my local currency or just discarded? And what will happen with the Rewards program, I take it, it will still be up, but will it still work the same? I just get currency not points.
SpazldNinjaDude 5

Postby Windowlicker79 » 05 Jul 2013, 10:55

So how will the Xbox rewards scheme work now? I noticed they haven't got the usual survey on the site this month. Are they winding that down too? It'd be a shame as I use the points to buy random Indie games! :-)
EDIT: Looks like someone had pretty much the same thought as me! ^
ಠ_ಠ
Windowlicker79 55

Re: Beta registration for Xbox Live Update 2013 now open via

Postby zico291 » 05 Jul 2013, 11:09

If anyone has signed up for this does it say "Complete Your Sign-Up" on the Dashboard after you have registered? Because it has for me I just wanted to check that I am actually signed up for it.
zico291 18

Postby ChocoROID » 05 Jul 2013, 11:34

SpazldNinjaDude wrote:I want to know what is going to happen to left over points (so points sitting on my account doing nothing), I am using the Rewards program to save up for a name change (as I don't want to pay directly for it) but I want to know will they be converted to my local currency or just discarded? And what will happen with the Rewards program, I take it, it will still be up, but will it still work the same? I just get currency not points.

Converted to currency,
It was on this site somewhere not long ago.
This is my signature. Isn't it pretty?
ChocoROID 27

Postby FungalFear » 05 Jul 2013, 12:14

I'm not sure about this one, while it think it's a good idea because it's easier to just pay what for what you want and get it directly and don't have to buy an over abundance of points when paying by card; but currently I don't have a card I can pay for the points with thus relying and going to my local games shops and buying the points via them.

I know I will be getting a card at some point, but raises the issue of the people who don't have them such as kids (especially who's parents wont let them use their cards), people who just plain don't want them or can't have them.

I'd assume they would turn the points I already have into currency or something, but made me wonder if you are buying the items directly or do you add currency onto your account and then purchase it?

And finally the rewards scheme, I've been using it for years it's helped me buy indie games and even a few Minecraft skin packs but what will happen with the points I've accumulated in the pending section and will they just give us currency for doing the questionnaires and things instead?
FungalFear 3

Postby DHUK » 05 Jul 2013, 12:30

SpazldNinjaDude wrote:I want to know what is going to happen to left over points (so points sitting on my account doing nothing), I am using the Rewards program to save up for a name change (as I don't want to pay directly for it) but I want to know will they be converted to my local currency or just discarded? And what will happen with the Rewards program, I take it, it will still be up, but will it still work the same? I just get currency not points.

Surely discarding them would just be theft?
Anyways, I recall them saying that they'll convert the value to normal currency
DHUK 43

Postby Windowlicker79 » 05 Jul 2013, 13:32

FungalFear wrote:I'm not sure about this one, while it think it's a good idea because it's easier to just pay what for what you want and get it directly and don't have to buy an over abundance of points when paying by card; but currently I don't have a card I can pay for the points with thus relying and going to my local games shops and buying the points via them.

I know I will be getting a card at some point, but raises the issue of the people who don't have them such as kids (especially who's parents wont let them use their cards), people who just plain don't want them or can't have them.

I'd assume they would turn the points I already have into currency or something, but made me wonder if you are buying the items directly or do you add currency onto your account and then purchase it?

And finally the rewards scheme, I've been using it for years it's helped me buy indie games and even a few Minecraft skin packs but what will happen with the points I've accumulated in the pending section and will they just give us currency for doing the questionnaires and things instead?

I'd imagine they'd just do what Sony and Nintendo do and sell cards through retailers with set amounts of money on them. Obviously you don't get to take advantage of only paying the price of the item you want to buy but its the only real solution to the problem. To be honest there is no real excuse for not having at least a debit card nowadays. All banks offer them on even the most basic accounts.
ಠ_ಠ
Windowlicker79 55

Postby SHalo28 » 05 Jul 2013, 14:27

well i hope they keep the rewards thing going but the most inportant thing for me is that they keep selling top up cards at shops :roll: it do not erealy matter what they call them pounds,points, moola or souls :twisted: as long as i can go into a shop and pay cash for them.
SHalo28 23

Postby Norbs » 05 Jul 2013, 17:14

im gessing the only change will be the fact that it says how many £'s it is rather than how many points it is, im not sure why they used the point system in the 1st place surely it puts people off as things seem to some people more expensive, i mean i know there not but some people arnt all that clever these days, how many people said that state of decay was too expensive because it said like 1000 odd point's where as in real life its a very cheap £14 or something!
i say bring it on, atleast il know exactly how much im waisting on pointles add-on's now :)
Norbs 17

Postby wotsahotspotnot » 05 Jul 2013, 17:37

Windowlicker79 wrote:
FungalFear wrote:I'm not sure about this one, while it think it's a good idea because it's easier to just pay what for what you want and get it directly and don't have to buy an over abundance of points when paying by card; but currently I don't have a card I can pay for the points with thus relying and going to my local games shops and buying the points via them.

I'd imagine they'd just do what Sony and Nintendo do and sell cards through retailers with set amounts of money on them. Obviously you don't get to take advantage of only paying the price of the item you want to buy but its the only real solution to the problem. To be honest there is no real excuse for not having at least a debit card nowadays. All banks offer them on even the most basic accounts.

Bang on the money (pun intended). If you go into any games store you'll find cards with real currency value for other consoles, they'll simply do this for the XBox too.

'Bout time I say! I signed up first thing this morning I HATE the MSP system and don't know anyone who prefers this to using real local currency. Making games 400 or 800 or 1200 and then forcing you to buy MSP's in 500 or 1000 or 2000. Hate it.
Jesus Saves...Before every boss battle.
wotsahotspotnot 35

Postby Abdur » 06 Jul 2013, 06:38

Atlast the system of local currency is available in the Xbox 360 console.
Abdur 1

Postby Crisco » 06 Jul 2013, 21:16

I'm not sure why MS are doing this, it has been shown that having an intermediate currency in games can make people less aware of how much they're spending. I've done it myself when buying Indie/Arcade games, as I'm sure quite a few people have. You think "It's only 800 MSP, I'll buy it" without thinking of the actual cost.

From a consumer's point of view it's a good thing and should make downloading a bit easier.
Being good at stuff is overrated. Probably.
Gamertag: Super Crisco
Crisco 48

Postby GHOSTY05 » 07 Jul 2013, 10:00

Crisco wrote:I'm not sure why MS are doing this, it has been shown that having an intermediate currency in games can make people less aware of how much they're spending. I've done it myself when buying Indie/Arcade games, as I'm sure quite a few people have. You think "It's only 800 MSP, I'll buy it" without thinking of the actual cost.

From a consumer's point of view it's a good thing and should make downloading a bit easier.

And your complaining?

I am glad MS are making things easier and listening to their customers, last thing i heard is that they have now also added the headset to the xbox one, due to customer outcry!
GHOSTY05 43