to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Opening moves: the eight most impressive game reveals

Your comments on our articles.

Games that blew our socks off straight out the gate

They say you shouldn't judge a game on the strength of a first impression, but some games make it incredibly hard to do otherwise. Below are eight of the most stirring or stylish game reveals I've come across in my moderately lengthy career as a man who writes about unreal people and worlds.... read more

Re: Opening moves: the eight most impressive game reveals

Postby fracturedrich » 05 Jul 2013, 20:17

Halo ,hands down with no need to vote at all :)
fracturedrich 47

Postby KernowDevil23 » 05 Jul 2013, 20:47

fracturedrich wrote:Halo ,hands down with no need to vote at all :)

Ahhhh that's what I like to see. Democracy.
I don't care if a game is "the same every year." So is pizza. Stop buying the bad pizza. Buy the good pizza.
KernowDevil23 56

Postby Grummy » 05 Jul 2013, 21:01

One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 66
OXM Moderator

Postby wotsahotspotnot » 05 Jul 2013, 22:36

I remember doing a poll among my friends which I read the results of at 0.00am January 1st, 2010.

Question was: What was the game of the decade?

Halo came 2nd, with 34% or something but the clear winner with something like 47% was CoD Modern Warfare 2. Damn game had only been out a month or two, I wanted to cull my entire friends list right there and then.

One pillock voted for Final Fantasy 7 too, the pillock.

PS, what a pillock...

EDIT: This after asking at some length for everyone to consider not what their personal favourite was, but to try and base their decision on the IMPORTANCE of the game on the gaming landscape. Perhaps I should've ammended my question to 'most IMPORTANT of the decade', but still...MW2? Please...
Jesus Saves...Before every boss battle.
wotsahotspotnot 35

Postby wotsahotspotnot » 05 Jul 2013, 23:05

What a stonking soundtrack to that Halo 3 trailer as well.

Where's me headphones?
wotsahotspotnot 35

Postby RedBelmont » 05 Jul 2013, 23:24

With the exception of Halo:Combat Evolved and ODST all other Halo games have been pish frankly. Bungie Got lucky and are up there with Infinity Ward as being one of the most over rated developers on the planet.

I have a lot of love for CoD 2 and MW4 and the two Halos I mentioned above but all the hype they get is totally unjustified and the past half a dozen games these studios have made since their initial success have been average at best. High production values and repeating the same tricks over and over does not equal a good game people!
The Danger Zone
RedBelmont 31

Postby Disilluzioned » 06 Jul 2013, 10:54

I think Dead Island should just come out once a year as a new trailer. The new one that got banned somewhere (probably Australia) was brilliant as well.

Also, thanks for ripping off the scab that had just formed after seeing the new Deus Ex game was some stupid tablet thing ...
Disilluzioned 10

Postby BlackhawkTenan » 06 Jul 2013, 14:37

wotsahotspotnot wrote:What a stonking soundtrack to that Halo 3 trailer as well.

Where's me headphones?

I completely agree. One of the best things about Halo is the soundtrack. It still gives me goosebumps when that piano kicks in.
BlackhawkTenan 29

Postby wotsahotspotnot » 07 Jul 2013, 11:24

RedBelmont wrote:

With the exception of Halo:Combat Evolved and ODST all other Halo games have been pish frankly. Bungie Got lucky and are up there with Infinity Ward as being one of the most over rated developers on the planet.

I have a lot of love for CoD 2 and MW4 and the two Halos I mentioned above but all the hype they get is totally unjustified and the past half a dozen games these studios have made since their initial success have been average at best. High production values and repeating the same tricks over and over does not equal a good game people!

Sorry, but I have to disagree slightly. I think each Halo has brought something new to the table and raised the bar each time.
Overhyped? Yes, probably both franchises are, but they're still right up there in terms of FPS's, if not THE leading 2.
wotsahotspotnot 35

Postby Maximus T » 11 Jul 2013, 17:53

The Skyrim official trailer always gave me goosebumps, and how many times did I watch it?
FUS RO DAH!
A benzene ring changes everything.
Maximus T 67