to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Xbox One's 11 most promising original IPs - and how they cou

Your comments on our articles.

Ushering in the fresh faces of the next generation with a word of warning

One of the best things about the new console generation is that there are so many shiny, exciting new IPs hiding just over the horizon. Doesn't it feel like a rousing breath of fresh air, after all the clones and iterative sequels we've had to put up with of late?... read more

Xbox One's 11 most promising original IPs - and how they cou

Postby PonderingWalrus » 06 Jul 2013, 09:46

This is a good article and raises some decent points.

I will say, however, that is Sunset Overdrive flops it probably won't be for the same reason as Fuse. The problem with Fuse was that it was simply too generic, dull and didn't really bring anything new to the table. Sunset Overdrive is looking like it won't have any of these problems but could still fail for other reasons.
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
PonderingWalrus 42

Re: Xbox One's 11 most promising original IPs - and how they

Postby ChaoticP » 06 Jul 2013, 10:02

The article raises some good points, I wouldn't worry about Below's zoomed out perspective as things should be much clearer on a full sized HD screen, if it features couch co-op it'll be a definite buy for me. I do hope the TV show tie in for Quantum break is much better than the acting in that cringe worthy teaser trailer.
Last edited by ChaoticP on 06 Jul 2013, 10:55, edited 1 time in total.
ChaoticP 52

Postby kevicus12 » 06 Jul 2013, 10:08

"What are us anti-social gamers to do in this brave, new, and always-connected world?"

Yeah, that.
kevicus12 22

Postby fracturedrich » 06 Jul 2013, 12:28

I can be one of those anti social gamers myself at times,but i am hoping that games like destiny can bring me to really getting involved.I think that ms know that some games will take off and some games although being enjoyable won't keep players coming back for months after first playing.I think they will just throw more games out there and see how the public react to them. I bought my 3 kids lego indiana jones yesterday,threw two pads at them and let them carry on,what i heard coming from the bedroom was truly heart warming,proper teamwork and laughter.They was really working together to get past the problems and having bags of fun in the process.I think online co op is the way forward but i do like to play on my own as well. I think that is why dark souls is the perfect game for me,invasions aside the way you can play on your own and call on a friend is the way i like to play, because lets be fair there are a few dicks around who join a game, just to run off on there own trying to destroy your game and not work with you at all. If you are one of those dicks then you should be thrown on the same sever to not work together,which is something iv'e heard ms are working on,but i can't see it.
fracturedrich 47

Postby Grummy » 06 Jul 2013, 12:59

I think Remedy are doing a bad job of promoting Quantum Break so far. It looks intriguing, but the small amount of gameplay seen so far was underwhelming really. It's biggest pull with be the whole TV/Game thing, but it hasn't been explained at all, from what I've seen. Is it just a game using live action cut scenes? Will it have and actual TV series to go with it? The lack of details is hurting it I think, at least for me as right now I have very little interest in what could actually be a very cool game.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 67
OXM Moderator

Postby PonderingWalrus » 06 Jul 2013, 21:07

Grummy wrote:I think Remedy are doing a bad job of promoting Quantum Break so far. It looks intriguing, but the small amount of gameplay seen so far was underwhelming really. It's biggest pull with be the whole TV/Game thing, but it hasn't been explained at all, from what I've seen. Is it just a game using live action cut scenes? Will it have and actual TV series to go with it? The lack of details is hurting it I think, at least for me as right now I have very little interest in what could actually be a very cool game.

I am finding Quantum Break intriguing too; but that is more down to the fact the trailers I have seen have told me nothing about it. What even is the premises of it?
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
PonderingWalrus 42

Postby Dave2123 » 08 Jul 2013, 09:13

This is probably the most depressing title I've ever read. 'Look at these great games ... they'll probably all be shit.' lol
Last edited by Dave2123 on 08 Jul 2013, 10:08, edited 1 time in total.
Dave2123 29

Postby Dave2123 » 08 Jul 2013, 10:08

Even though I never play multiplayer, I was really excited for Destiny, as I figured I could just ignore everyone, as the impression I got was that you explore alien cities and do missions for NPCs and bump into real people every now and again. However, this trailer has definitely put me off it and I doubt I'll buy it - maybe when it's really cheap.

I thought it was going to be an RPG sort of game - exploring cities and 'dungeons', doing quests etc., but this trailer looks like it's just a shoot 'em up and I'm disappointed. My first impression was great, but it seems this game is aimed at the masses and isn't trying to be innovative. I know it's made by Bungie and published by Activision, but the only way I could describe the way this looks is that it's a cross between COD and Halo, which is not a good thing. "From the creators of Halo and the company behind COD" - they got that right didn't they? All the trailer showed was a variety of maps and people (aliens) shooting each other, which is exactly the same as the majority of games nowadays. I could pick up COD or Halo or something like Star Wars Battlefront and it would be almost identical to that trailer.

I really think Bungie have struggled since letting go of the Halo franchise. They haven't really done much else to note and, going by this, it seems they can't forget the franchise that made them famous and move on to other things. Of course Activision wanted to create a COD like game, because they know that's what they majority of casual gamers like, but I would have liked them to have taken this down a more adventure style route. I could be proven wrong, but we'll see.

p.s. For an Xbox One game, the graphics don't look very good, either.
Dave2123 29

Postby CunningSmile » 08 Jul 2013, 10:27

Grummy wrote:I think Remedy are doing a bad job of promoting Quantum Break so far. It looks intriguing, but the small amount of gameplay seen so far was underwhelming really. It's biggest pull with be the whole TV/Game thing, but it hasn't been explained at all, from what I've seen. Is it just a game using live action cut scenes? Will it have and actual TV series to go with it? The lack of details is hurting it I think, at least for me as right now I have very little interest in what could actually be a very cool game.

Agreed. I'm paying attention because Remedy are one of the most consistently inventive and entertaining developers IMO, not because of anything that has been revealed. After all what has been revealed? I'm still clueless about how it will work, whether there is a TV show or just live action cut scenes or even what the plot is.
"Jar Jar, you're a genius"
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator

Postby lostinpost » 08 Jul 2013, 14:25

Does the trailer for "Sunset Overdrive" remind anyone else of that classic bargain basement fodder title "Brink"?
lostinpost 23