to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

You can start Dark Souls 2 "halfway through", if you're feel

Your comments on our articles.

From Software aiming for even more "freedom of exploration" than last time

At the back of our humanity-hoarding brains once lurked the following doubt about Dark Souls 2: demo footage of the game suggests a return to a Demon's Souls-style level structure, rather than an elaboration of Dark Souls 1's brilliant open world. Hearty backslaps unto director Yui Tanimura, who has now banished this dreadful misgiving in a chat with Digital Spy.... read more

You can start Dark Souls 2 "halfway through", if you're feel

Postby Metalrodent » 08 Jul 2013, 12:07

Dark Souls 2 isn't just looser than the original - it's also much tougher, apparently.

Considering the difficulty is what stopped me buying DS1 I doubt this will be up my street either than
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 71

Re: You can start Dark Souls 2 "halfway through", if you're

Postby Johnbhoy69 » 08 Jul 2013, 12:41

Metalrodent wrote:Considering the difficulty is what stopped me buying DS1 I doubt this will be up my street either than

Difficultly put me off too so I rented it and hated it, but I stuck with it and bought it. Once you figure things out its a really engrossing game and the first game I poured over a 100 hours into since Final Fantasy VIII.

I like to experience as much of a game as I can on the first play through so skipping significant portions isn't really my thing.
Johnbhoy69 54

Postby PonderingWalrus » 08 Jul 2013, 13:04

As long as the difficulty remains tough but fair I will maintain a keen interest in this. I'm glad they are keeping it open. I don't think I have ever seen a game world as cleverly designed as Dark Souls.
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
PonderingWalrus 42

Postby BLOODSHO7x » 08 Jul 2013, 20:47

I am so looking forward to this game but i know im going to die 8 billion times and get frustrated at it just like i did with dark souls 2 and to the people who are "im not getting this because its difficult" sort your lives out please the whole concept of gaming is to achieve something not play something like fable where you rinse through the game with no real difficulties whatsoever
BLOODSHO7x 14

Postby SilentDark » 08 Jul 2013, 21:11

BLOODSHO7x wrote:I am so looking forward to this game but i know im going to die 8 billion times and get frustrated at it just like i did with dark souls 2 and to the people who are "im not getting this because its difficult" sort your lives out please the whole concept of gaming is to achieve something not play something like fable where you rinse through the game with no real difficulties whatsoever

Actually the whole concept of gaming is to have fun, to enjoy yourself, if dying 8 billion times and getting frustrated is your idea of fun, well then great, fill your boots, however some people out there want to relax, take it easy, not tear their hair out as they die in the exact same place for the 20th time in a row.

I'm really getting turned off by this franchise because while many players are perfectly fine people, that horrid little elitist gamer subsection keeps rearing it's ugly head here, like completing a hard game is really something of note, as opposed to trying to make the world a better place, or inventing the perfect grilled cheese sandwich.
You know, Hitler wasn't all bad, after all, he did kill Hitler.
SilentDark 64

Postby BLOODSHO7x » 08 Jul 2013, 22:09

SilentDark wrote:
BLOODSHO7x wrote:I am so looking forward to this game but i know im going to die 8 billion times and get frustrated at it just like i did with dark souls 2 and to the people who are "im not getting this because its difficult" sort your lives out please the whole concept of gaming is to achieve something not play something like fable where you rinse through the game with no real difficulties whatsoever

Actually the whole concept of gaming is to have fun, to enjoy yourself, if dying 8 billion times and getting frustrated is your idea of fun, well then great, fill your boots, however some people out there want to relax, take it easy, not tear their hair out as they die in the exact same place for the 20th time in a row.

I'm really getting turned off by this franchise because while many players are perfectly fine people, that horrid little elitist gamer subsection keeps rearing it's ugly head here, like completing a hard game is really something of note, as opposed to trying to make the world a better place, or inventing the perfect grilled cheese sandwich.

I hate those people too but i also hate the ones that say "im not getting this because its difficult" it makes no sense to me as i like a firm fair challenge and thats the kind of game dark souls is yes it has a quite drastic learning curve and sometimes BS's you but its not the hardest game ive ever played. I just think people these days avoid challenge as much as possible whether it be in the real outside world or through virtual means and that makes me a sad panda.
Oh yeah the best grilled cheese? try adding a little hot sauce and pre cooked bacon that always makes my tastebuds happy
BLOODSHO7x 14

Postby SilentDark » 08 Jul 2013, 22:29

Point taken but what constitutes a fair challenge is all a matter of perspective, I've seen some people insist that Dark Souls is easy, some people may have gravitated towards the play style more easily than others. Some people have no problem with SNK boss syndrome for example and appreciate the challenge of games which utilise it, while in that case the computer is actively cheating. For me Dark Souls seems to be a contradiction, it's essentially an action RPG but is in many ways as slow paced as turn based, at least as far as I can see. Some people insist I'm playing it wrong, but the tactic I've found to work against most mooks is short combo, back off and defend, look for an opening, exploit, rinse and repeat, not as great on bosses I admit but I try to use what works for me.

As for people avoiding challenges, all I can say is that's human nature, the greatest reward for the least amount of effort. The only games I've ever played on the hardest difficulty setting are the Warriors titles, and that's generally with fully tricked out characters who I've evolved on lesser difficulties. maybe that doesn't make me the greatest gamer ever but at least when I buy a game I can stand a generally good chance of seeing it through to the end. Something I don't know I'll ever do with a game like Dark Souls.
You know, Hitler wasn't all bad, after all, he did kill Hitler.
SilentDark 64