to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

SmartGlass on Xbox One: nine reasons you shouldn't miss it

Your comments on our articles.

Second screen support is smashing stuff

SmartGlass is on the rise. At its Build 2013 conference in June (via Neowin), Microsoft reported that the app had reached 17 million downloads across all platforms, with 89 per cent of users returning to it within a week, and the average user spending about 16 minutes with SmartGlass for each specific application it controls on the Xbox 360.... read more

SmartGlass on Xbox One: nine reasons you shouldn't miss it

Postby Crisco » 08 Jul 2013, 15:27

I think it's great that technology has advanced so far that this kind of thing is now possible, but I want nothing to do with it. I don't want to wave my arms about, shout at the tv or press buttons on my phone, I just want to play games using nothing but the controller. I think it would break the immersion having to pause the game and fiddle about with Smart Glass. For a group of players that would be okay but I, like most people I imagine, play single player games alone.

I don't mind it being optional as it could make games more fun for those who do want it but with Dead Rising 3 it seems like I would be missing out on stuff by not using it. Of course, I could stop being a miserable git and just buy one of these Smart Glass things, but then who's going to whinge about this stuff?
Being good at stuff is overrated. Probably.
Gamertag: Super Crisco
Crisco 47

Re: SmartGlass on Xbox One: nine reasons you shouldn't miss

Postby CunningSmile » 08 Jul 2013, 15:46

Crisco wrote:I think it's great that technology has advanced so far that this kind of thing is now possible, but I want nothing to do with it. I don't want to wave my arms about, shout at the tv or press buttons on my phone, I just want to play games using nothing but the controller. I think it would break the immersion having to pause the game and fiddle about with Smart Glass. For a group of players that would be okay but I, like most people I imagine, play single player games alone.

I don't mind it being optional as it could make games more fun for those who do want it but with Dead Rising 3 it seems like I would be missing out on stuff by not using it. Of course, I could stop being a miserable git and just buy one of these Smart Glass things, but then who's going to whinge about this stuff?

Conversely how often does the character in the game get to do one thing at a time? I've always found it very immersion breaking the way that the game pauses itself as soon as the protagonist pulls out a gadget and starts the hacking/lock picking/safe cracking mini game. How much more realistic would something like Splinter Cell be if you had to refer to your PDA to crack a computer whilst also keeping an eye out in case anyone walks in?
I dream of a world in which a chicken can cross the road without someone questioning his motives
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator

Postby vadersmyfather » 08 Jul 2013, 15:52

CunningSmile wrote:How much more realistic would something like Splinter Cell be if you had to refer to your PDA to crack a computer whilst also keeping an eye out in case anyone walks in?

Indeedy, I think it's a pretty cool idea myself. In so many games we are forced to use PDA's, PipBoys etc that I think it'd much more intuitive to have your smartglass device for that.
I cnduo't bvleiee taht I culod aulaclty uesdtannrd waht I was rdnaieg. Unisg the icndeblire pweor of the hmuan mnid it dseno't mttaer the oderr the lterets in a wrod are, the olny irpoamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer are in the rhgit pclae.
vadersmyfather 47

Postby Baryonyx » 08 Jul 2013, 16:42

I really like the sound of where this could be going. Extra chat options could be useful for MMO's, as I often find myself wishing I had a keyboard plugged into my 360! I might still do that with the Xbox one though if it will take a USB keyboard. I like the idea of being able to sit on the sofa whilst the missus watches the television (meaning I can't game on it) and play on a tablet. Maybe call in a few air strikes.
Baryonyx 42

Postby Drainwater » 08 Jul 2013, 23:39

vadersmyfather wrote:
CunningSmile wrote:How much more realistic would something like Splinter Cell be if you had to refer to your PDA to crack a computer whilst also keeping an eye out in case anyone walks in?

Indeedy, I think it's a pretty cool idea myself. In so many games we are forced to use PDA's, PipBoys etc that I think it'd much more intuitive to have your smartglass device for that.

While this sounds cool, I can easily see it being a hassle. Still, I will definitely make the attempt if my pip boy can display on my ipad or comfortably on my phone...
Drainwater 35

Postby Bubblebeard JS » 09 Jul 2013, 11:25

I still cant get this to work on my new windows 8 phone, i tried it with forza Horizon but it dont work, this funcgion was announced LAST E3, and it still dont work.... typical microsoft.
Bubblebeard JS 39

Postby BLOODSHO7x » 09 Jul 2013, 14:49

I cant stand touch screen devices theyre too awkward and complex for me but i can see how this would benefit some gamers who have ipads or whatever youd use for this but it would only be good for certain games in certain scenarios i.e menus, maps etc. What i dont want to see is if this entire smartglass thing takes off that games force you to have a smartglass device to play at the same time and i dont want to have to pay upwards of £100 to use something i have no interest in just to play a game.
BLOODSHO7x 14

Postby Crisco » 09 Jul 2013, 18:38

vadersmyfather wrote:

After reading those things I've done a Microsoft style 180 and want this to happen now if not sooner.
Being good at stuff is overrated. Probably.
Gamertag: Super Crisco
Crisco 47

Postby Starskream » 09 Jul 2013, 19:25

That's actually a really good idea and one that would use SmartGlass properly. Im not too fussed on the use of it in Forza Horizons as it was the cause of many a wipeout for me but in games like Splinter cell or even Skyrim where safe cracking/lock picking is used often it would be great.
Starskream 41