to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Xbox One fans start petition to restore digital licensing fe

Your comments on our articles.

"We want this back. It can't be all or nothing, there must be a compromise."

Gamer David Fontenot has started a petition at Change.org for the restoration of Xbox One's original digital licensing model, or at the very least, something like it.... read more

Postby ChaoticP » 10 Jul 2013, 10:16

The petition is poorly written, it seems they are asking for the online requirement back as well, I'm all for the sharing thing, but asking to be always online sounds quite silly.
ChaoticP 47

Postby Blastiel » 10 Jul 2013, 10:20

lol @ "Essentially, it was Steam for Xbox"

If it was Steam for the XBOX then people would have been well up for it, the reason being Steam has competition which drives down prices and allows for sales.

If some XBOX owners seriously think that giving up "ownership" would mean cheaper digital games, sales and discounts then all I can say is....YOU CRAZY?!?!?!?!?!?!
Blastiel 20

Postby Christopher Dack » 10 Jul 2013, 10:21

? If i wanted steam id have a PC .
Christopher Dack 25

Re: Xbox One fans start petition to restore digital licensin

Postby ChaoticP » 10 Jul 2013, 10:34

Blastiel wrote:lol @ "Essentially, it was Steam for Xbox"

If it was Steam for the XBOX then people would have been well up for it, the reason being Steam has competition which drives down prices and allows for sales.

If some XBOX owners seriously think that giving up "ownership" would mean cheaper digital games, sales and discounts then all I can say is....YOU CRAZY?!?!?!?!?!?!

Xbox already does do game sales, so that thinking isn't really that far off.
ChaoticP 47

Postby msbhvn » 10 Jul 2013, 10:36

I agree with the sentiment behind this petition, and if I thought it would make any difference, I'd give my support. I also agree with what Blastiel said, that believing that giving up consumer rights will lead to lower prices is extremely naïve.

Sony definitely took advantage of the ignorance of consumers, their E3 conference and that YouTube video was basically them screaming "OMGWTFBBQ! M$ ARE TRYING TO TAKE YOUR USED GAMES AWAY!!1" to hide the fact that they hadn't brought anything new to the table.

I'd love some kind of compromise where the GAME-slaves can get ripped off on trade-ins, while going digital would have some advantages.
I don't get the appeal at all. Like what do they do... say something stupid then read the replies while they touch themselves? - Vampyre_Ghost on trolls.
msbhvn 66

Postby Maximus T » 10 Jul 2013, 10:46

This has gone WAY too far now. When the internet is indecisive, you know something isn't right. This is the end of Binary computing. We are reaching the age of Quantum computing. Which means way more processing power! Hallelujah!
#browns
Maximus T 63

Postby Blastiel » 10 Jul 2013, 10:50

ChaoticP wrote:
Blastiel wrote:lol @ "Essentially, it was Steam for Xbox"

Xbox already does do game sales, so that thinking isn't really that far off.

Proper Sales, not marginal discounts on select DLC or 50% of some old old games. I'm talking about the fact MS want to move to a single point of sale for digital games, themselves. If you have no other place to buy content from they can charge what they want. So in exchange for ownership I would like to see for example at launch Dead Rising 3 cost £30 versus the Physical Store price of £50. If they want us the consumer to go digital then they gotta give us a reason! :D
Blastiel 20

Postby DexHaven » 10 Jul 2013, 10:53

All this fuss about the DRM and the only thing I am bothered about is the pigging Kinnect. Total misdirection creepy Kinnect should be banned. Story of my life :cry:
Chandler: Didn't you read Lord of the Rings in high school? Joey: No. I had sex in high school.
DexHaven 26

Postby Blastiel » 10 Jul 2013, 11:06

DexHaven wrote:All this fuss about the DRM and the only thing I am bothered about is the pigging Kinnect. Total misdirection creepy Kinnect should be banned. Story of my life :cry:

Nope we are all worried about that as well so your not alone.

Why MS are forcing their failed experiment upon us (at a cost to us) I do not know.

Take Kinect 2.0 out of the XBONE box and you can drop £80-£100 of the RRP making it far more attractive.
Blastiel 20

Postby Roland of Gilead » 10 Jul 2013, 11:15

I agree in a way, but know that after all the fuss thats surrounded the release it'll be all or nothing either way. I like the idea of games being cheaper if they were downloaded, and you cant lend them to other people, and if you want the hard copy to lend out it'll cost a bit more. In reality, microsoft being who they are will charge £5 less for the unsharable digital copy, or bump up the hard copy by £15 just for the pleasure of taking a game to a mates house. I don't think anybody is going to get exactly what they want from this console to be honest.

What was wrong with what we have with the 360? If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

As for all the moaning about the kinnect, you're flogging a dead horse. It's going to happen. I'm not entirely happy about it, but then I didn't like the idea of having two joysticks for my thumbs when the first dual shock came out. In a couple of years time, you'll be using the kinnect in conjunction with your controller without even thinking, and I trully think it'll give us the edge in gaming in a way that the dual shock did. You're not going to have to be jumping around waving your arms like a looney, it'll be small hand gestures or comments. They cant put more buttons on the controller, this is the way round it.
Roland of Gilead 15

Postby AllusiveTurtle » 10 Jul 2013, 11:19

ChaoticP wrote:Xbox already does do game sales, so that thinking isn't really that far off.

Sorry to disagree, but the recent sales highlight exactly the opposite; the prices of many of the games were ridiculous, some did indeed offer a discount on X-Box live (obviously, otherwise it wouldn't have been a sale!), but most games were reduced by only a few pounds and very few, if any, of them were cheaper than could be found on the highstreet or internet.

Microsoft exist for one reason and one reason only; to make money. You only have to see the current Beta that Microsoft are running to see that they continue to get much wrong; on the day prior to the Beta you could buy your 1600 Microsoft Points for £14.99 through the dashboard. On the day you begin the Beta, your points are converted to British Sterling and at that point, the MSP you bought the day before are suddenly worth just £13.33 (which is a worry for me personally as I currently have 10,000 MSP). Then, to add insult to injury, with the switch to real money, the games and DLC themselves appear to have increased in price, so you're getting hit twice.

I've said often that I personally would happily switch to digital, but Microsoft need to prove their intent to provide games at a competitive pricing point, and so far their intent appears to be somewhat different.
AllusiveTurtle 44

Postby CunningSmile » 10 Jul 2013, 11:25

Where do I sign?
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby Guilty Sparks » 10 Jul 2013, 11:26

Signed the petition.

I have heard that Microsoft will implement a day one patch that will remove the original features shown at E3, i believe the best course of action to satisfy both parties would be to add to the existing subscription model, people would then have the option to choose.

Example - Silver / Gold / Platinum.

(Platinum would make use of the original features)
Oracle? Great Journey? Why do you meddlers insist on using such inaccurate verbiage?
Guilty Sparks 37

Postby Guilty Sparks » 10 Jul 2013, 11:27

Oracle? Great Journey? Why do you meddlers insist on using such inaccurate verbiage?
Guilty Sparks 37

Postby Christopher Dack » 10 Jul 2013, 11:30

Couldnt Ed send microsoft a email with these issues ie the unfair conversion rate of points , the difference in Uk prices to Us etc . ;) I for one would like to know what there thinking behind it is beforei have to do that thing i swore never to do and save for ps4 . ( little bit of sick came up)
Christopher Dack 25

Next