to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Xbox Live beta said to increase UK game prices

Your comments on our articles.

Update: Microsoft confirms error, will refund any expense

Microsoft has confirmed that the beta version of the next Xbox Live update, which replaces Microsoft Points with real-world money, was displaying incorrect prices for UK users. Updated story follows.... read more

Xbox Live beta said to increase UK game prices

Postby fragger224 » 10 Jul 2013, 18:01

I can see a lot of Canadian people selling codes online and making some money
fragger224 1

Re: Xbox Live beta said to increase UK game prices

Postby Metalrodent » 10 Jul 2013, 19:31

MS have really got to improve their marketing and image in the UK; US centric unveil, more costly console here and now this
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 67

Postby LethalBuddha » 10 Jul 2013, 19:50

Metalrodent wrote:MS have really got to improve their marketing and image in the UK; US centric unveil, more costly console here and now this

Don't forget the competitions MS run specifically for Xbox live users in the US, which is practically every week!
.-- . .-.. .-.. / -.. --- -. . --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / .-- --- .-. -.- . -.. / --- ..- - / .- / .--. --- .. -. - .-.. . ... ... / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. . / -- . ... ... .- --. .
LethalBuddha 32

Postby Insaneyokel » 10 Jul 2013, 20:50

Seriously are MS trying to annoy their customers completely, I have preordered a One and like the Xbox, but even now I am starting to really roll my eyes at this :roll:
Twitter: @RMRedmanAuthor
Gamertag: RONA79
Insaneyokel 47

Postby CR33D » 10 Jul 2013, 21:23

I'm in the Beta and the price system is bad, I worked it out and thought we lose money here.
Microsoft needs to start thinking about the UK and Europe.

Cum divites paupermen qui bellum gerunt suus moriatur...
CR33D 28

Postby samcroman » 10 Jul 2013, 21:37

I really think the UK have been shortchanged by this so called improvement update. The points system is a perfectly good way of buying dlc from the marketplace. Why change a good thing? My 7 year old boy was in tears today because the item he wanted to get was over a pound more than it should have been. Now he cant get rid of the update from his system and he's stuck with buying overpriced dlc. I really hope MS sort this out.
samcroman 2

Postby CR33D » 10 Jul 2013, 21:42

samcroman wrote:I really think the UK have been shortchanged by this so called improvement update. The points system is a perfectly good way of buying dlc from the marketplace. Why change a good thing? My 7 year old boy was in tears today because the item he wanted to get was over a pound more than it should have been. Now he cant get rid of the update from his system and he's stuck with buying overpriced dlc. I really hope MS sort this out.

Have you tried buying it off Xbox.com? I don't think it counts there. If not download his profile on another console (if you can) Then download it from download history.

Cum divites paupermen qui bellum gerunt suus moriatur...
CR33D 28

Postby FordGTGuy » 10 Jul 2013, 21:46

Insaneyokel wrote:Seriously are MS trying to annoy their customers completely, I have preordered a One and like the Xbox, but even now I am starting to really roll my eyes at this :roll:

Stop rolling your eyes like a child and welcome yourself to reality.

You wanted to get rid of Microsoft points and adopt actual currency?

These are the consequences of using real currencies.

That currency is being affected by currency exchange rates and taxes on your purchases. Why don't you look at a price comparison between pounds and dollars on Steam and you'll notice that most always it is more.

samcroman wrote:I really think the UK have been shortchanged by this so called improvement update. The points system is a perfectly good way of buying dlc from the marketplace. Why change a good thing? My 7 year old boy was in tears today because the item he wanted to get was over a pound more than it should have been. Now he cant get rid of the update from his system and he's stuck with buying overpriced dlc. I really hope MS sort this out.

This is the result of people complaining about the points system so Microsoft decided to finally do what the majority wanted and due to currency exchange rates and taxes people in the UK are going to be negatively affected by it.

Metalrodent wrote:MS have really got to improve their marketing and image in the UK; US centric unveil, more costly console here and now this

This is not something Microsoft can change it is a side-effect of using real currency.

Xbox is a American company selling a product that sells the most in America so why does a US centric unveil seem odd to you? Sony did the same thing, features like Gaikai on the PS4 will only be available in the US sometime in 2014...

The price of the console and the price of the online content is the fault of your own currency system.
Last edited by FordGTGuy on 10 Jul 2013, 21:52, edited 1 time in total.
FordGTGuy 4

Postby CunningSmile » 10 Jul 2013, 21:50

Bit harsh Ford, I don't think Yokel is genuinely surprised, she's been coming here way too long to not know the score on things like this.

However I do agree that this is a case of be careful what you wish for, as a lot of people have made a lot of noise about how ms points are "unfair" and now we get the alternative; a system where we can't shop around for points cards and prices are at the whim of exchange rates and tax
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby FordGTGuy » 10 Jul 2013, 21:56

CunningSmile wrote:Bit harsh Ford, I don't think Yokel is genuinely surprised, she's been coming here way too long to not know the score on things like this.

However I do agree that this is a case of be careful what you wish for, as a lot of people have made a lot of noise about how ms points are "unfair" and now we get the alternative; a system where we can't shop around for points cards and prices are at the whim of exchange rates and tax

I hate being harsh but nowadays it seems the only way to stop people from jumping to conclusions like the internet constantly does on topics such as this(mostly Xbox One topics.). It's like people were not brought up to stop and think about something before instantly reacting to it.

Microsoft isn't making stuff in the UK more expensive just because they hate the UK, it is more expensive because it is the reality of the currency system. If Microsoft was really that greedy they would raise the price in the US too which buys much more Xbox Live content than the UK.
FordGTGuy 4

Postby Skippy_Live » 10 Jul 2013, 21:58

I heard that the pricing was a mistake.
Skippy_Live 26

Postby ChaoticP » 10 Jul 2013, 22:01

These complaints seem pretty premature, it's a beta afterall.
ChaoticP 47

Postby Grummy » 10 Jul 2013, 22:01

CunningSmile wrote:Bit harsh Ford, I don't think Yokel is genuinely surprised, she's been coming here way too long to not know the score on things like this.

And yet people complained about the idea of MS having digital only and controlling the price and thus (apparently) there being nowhere else to buy games and shop around for prices......makes me laugh anyway, they complained about MS doing this for retail games, then basically asked them to do it for digital sales. Genius.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 64
OXM Moderator

Postby FordGTGuy » 10 Jul 2013, 22:02

Skippy_Live wrote:I heard that the pricing was a mistake.

We will have to wait and see but I really wouldn't bet anything on it being a mistake.

The UK always gets the short end of the stick on online pricing compared to other countries.

Grummy wrote:And yet people complained about the idea of MS having digital only and controlling the price and thus (apparently) there being nowhere else to buy games and shop around for prices......makes me laugh anyway, they complained about MS doing this for retail games, then basically asked them to do it for digital sales. Genius.

This is not how the system would work, you were still going to be able to buy your games in stores but the discs would basically be install discs in your Xbox One. The difference is that with digital only sales games become cheaper faster because every game that sells has their profits go to the publisher and the developer.

In the current system with used games a new game only has a week to sell as much as possible before it is competing with the same exact game at a cheaper price on the same shelf. In this system this is no incentive for a company to lower the price of a game because even if they did the store itself would follow the price change and stay under it meaning price drops create no meaningful revenue for publishers.

This is why we have seen so much DLC and now season passes this generation, these companies need a steady revenue stream to survive and the current system does not work. This is also why indie games are flourishing on digital only service because every sale is profit for them.

Look at Mojang they became hugely successful over this while a giant company like THQ fell even though they were putting out good games using the retail method.

CunningSmile wrote:
FordGTGuy wrote:
Bit of a tangent but where are you from? You've used "your" instead of "our" a couple of times when talking about the UK so I wondered. Plus Yokel was being sarcastic rather than serious (she usually is) and I know other representatives of our cousins across the pond have had trouble with posts like that in the path.

Makes no difference, I'm just nosey :lol:

I'm from the United States but I've been pushed to this website because it's really the best gaming news site for the Xbox One that I've seen.
Last edited by FordGTGuy on 10 Jul 2013, 22:12, edited 2 times in total.
FordGTGuy 4

Postby CunningSmile » 10 Jul 2013, 22:03

FordGTGuy wrote:

I hate being harsh but nowadays it seems the only way to stop people from jumping to conclusions like the internet constantly does on topics such as this(mostly Xbox One topics.). It's like people were not brought up to stop and think about something before instantly reacting to it.

Microsoft isn't making stuff in the UK more expensive just because they hate the UK, it is more expensive because it is the reality of the currency system. If Microsoft was really that greedy they would raise the price in the US too which buys much more Xbox Live content than the UK.

Bit of a tangent but where are you from? You've used "your" instead of "our" a couple of times when talking about the UK so I wondered. Plus Yokel was being sarcastic rather than serious (she usually is) and I know other representatives of our cousins across the pond have had trouble with posts like that in the path.

Makes no difference, I'm just nosey :lol:
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Next