to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Kojima: Metal Gear Solid 5 can't rival Grand Theft Auto 5

Your comments on our articles.

"Makes me depressed as a matter of fact."

Industry legend's industry legend and father of stealth Hideo Kojima's in a downbeat mood this morning. He's just watched the latest GTA 5 trailer, and isn't sure his own Metal Gear Solid 5 can compete. There, there.... read more

Postby Maximus T » 11 Jul 2013, 09:51

Though loads of people will buy both games at some stage, they really have different target audiences. MGS is a dedicated stealth franchise after all, and will probably succeed in its own right.
On another note, it's great to see some British studios as world leaders of game development, makes me feel very patriotic about my hobby.
This signature is so amazing, you get a +1 morale boost just for reading it.
Join the OXM Gamerscore league on True Achievements!Click here!
Maximus T 70

Postby MutilateTheDead » 11 Jul 2013, 09:53

Nice to see he has confidence in his own game haha, GTA V does look awesome though!
MutilateTheDead 50

Re: Kojima: Metal Gear Solid 5 can't rival Grand Theft Auto

Postby Johnbhoy69 » 11 Jul 2013, 10:08

A new Metal Gear game is more important to me that a GTA game, no contest.
GTA V does look like fun with loads of mini games and funny characters but im glad
MGSV cant compete in that department.

Imagine taking a break in MGSV to play tennis against Ocelot with a crippled Miller as umpire.
Johnbhoy69 55

Postby GHOSTY05 » 11 Jul 2013, 10:21

Very humbling.

I must admit they are both amazing games and i want something different from each.
GHOSTY05 43

Postby T-meredith » 11 Jul 2013, 22:21

How comes Snake is younger again? I swear he was an old geezer in MGS4?
T-meredith 17

Postby SilentDark » 11 Jul 2013, 22:38

T-meredith wrote:How comes Snake is younger again? I swear he was an old geezer in MGS4?

It's Naked Snake AKA Big Boss in this game not Solid Snake, it's set somewhere between the events of Peacewalker and Metal Gear.
"When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say."
SilentDark 66

Postby ChaoticP » 12 Jul 2013, 11:32

What's going to keep me from picking up Metal Gear V is the fact I'm unfamiliar with the plot from past games and I don't really care enough to go back and play them. It's really a game for those familiar with the franchise as a whole, where as in GTA the plot stands alone and anyone can pick it up and play it and fully understand what's going on..
ChaoticP 52

Postby SilentDark » 12 Jul 2013, 12:42

ChaoticP wrote:What's going to keep me from picking up Metal Gear V is the fact I'm unfamiliar with the plot from past games and I don't really care enough to go back and play them. It's really a game for those familiar with the franchise as a whole, where as in GTA the plot stands alone and anyone can pick it up and play it and fully understand what's going on..

True, but in an age of wikis getting brushed up on the plot is relatively easy, even a complicated plot like this series has.

I mean most westerners were introduced to Metal Gear through the third game, Metal Gear Solid with only a basic synopsis of what went before.
"When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say."
SilentDark 66

Postby Bezza89 » 12 Jul 2013, 19:52

ChaoticP wrote:What's going to keep me from picking up Metal Gear V is the fact I'm unfamiliar with the plot from past games and I don't really care enough to go back and play them. It's really a game for those familiar with the franchise as a whole, where as in GTA the plot stands alone and anyone can pick it up and play it and fully understand what's going on..

Just play the HD trilogy, even only Snake eater, I haven't done peace walker because there's this impossible helicopter. Anyway I've not got that plot, but Snake Eater is vital playing, and a great game to boot, you only need to play 1 and 2 if you plan on playing 4, 4 gives a lot of really weird closure for every game and is worth playing so I would say buy a PS3 and play every damn one.
...and if you tell that to the kids of today, they wont believe you!
Bezza89 69