to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Meet the new boss: Microsoft appoints Julie Larson-Green as

Your comments on our articles.

Company announces major restructure to create "a unified experience" for consumers

Microsoft has announced that Windows co-head Julie Larson-Green will take charge of the Devices and Studios Engineering Group, which includes the Xbox division, as part of a major corporate restructure.... read more

Meet the new boss: Microsoft appoints Julie Larson-Green as

Postby lostinpost » 11 Jul 2013, 15:50

The idea is to "strive for a single experience for everything in a person's life that matters"

I Think Microsoft have got their heads in that cloud of theirs, because 99% of everything that matters in my life doesn't involve staring at a screen.
lostinpost 23

Re: Meet the new boss: Microsoft appoints Julie Larson-Green

Postby CunningSmile » 11 Jul 2013, 15:58

lostinpost wrote:The idea is to "strive for a single experience for everything in a person's life that matters"

I Think Microsoft have got their heads in that cloud of theirs, because 99% of everything that matters in my life doesn't involve staring at a screen.

May not be every thing important, but certainly 99% of my time is spent staring at a screen, usually a windows product now I think of it.
Do you ever look at some of the other people on the internet and wonder if you missed the sign that says "You must be this dumb to ride"?
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator

Postby lostinpost » 11 Jul 2013, 16:03

CunningSmile wrote:
lostinpost wrote:The idea is to "strive for a single experience for everything in a person's life that matters"

May not be every thing important, but certainly 99% of my time is spent staring at a screen, usually a windows product now I think of it.

Actually, Microsoft are more than welcome to store my kids in the cloud from time to time! ;-)
lostinpost 23

Postby ChaoticP » 11 Jul 2013, 18:18

Well I hope she does the company good.
ChaoticP 52

Postby Heisen Django » 11 Jul 2013, 21:24

Well... after reading that Microsoft gave access to the NSA, I'm definitely not getting the Xbox One.
Heisen Django 2

Postby Twilight Error » 11 Jul 2013, 21:57

I'd like to be optimistic about this, but without knowing too much about the key players who are now in charge of my favorite gaming system, it's tough. Julie Larson-Green comes to the hardware division after working on Windows? I hope I'm wrong, but I get this image in my head of Ms. Larson-Green sitting down with a 360 controller this morning -- for the first time. "So, people play games with this? Like Tetris? How do you turn it on?"

And Terry Myerson is positioned to head up the Operating Systems division after working on the Windows Phone? So a person who is most familiar with hardware is now in charge of software, and the person who used to run a software division is now in charge of hardware...? I don't recall hearing about the successes of either the Windows OS or the Windows Phone in recent months, so I guess Microsoft believes they'll be better doing each other's job instead of doing what they were initially hired to do.

Maybe their credentials are much better than I'm giving them credit for, but I doubt they'll be as gamer-oriented as Phil Spencer's credentials. He would have been the perfect choice for head of the Operating Systems division, if not both divisions. But what do I know. I'm just a customer.
Twilight Error 42

Postby TechsUK » 12 Jul 2013, 12:41

This isn't an article about the NSA. But since you mention it I'd much rather the NSA having controlled, legal access to my data for law enforcement/security than hackers rummaging around everyone's Sony PlayStation information like they did all those months ago. If I have to 'trust' my boring data with anyone my money's on Microsoft to do the best job of looking after it, then Apple/Amazon, perhaps Google, but they sell my data, at least the NSA have controlled legal access to suspects data and not carte blanche access.
TechsUK 16