Oculus Rift boss would "love" to release on Xbox One, but wo

Your comments on our articles.

"The more that they're throwing into AR and VR, the better it is for everybody."

Virtual reality outfit Oculus certainly isn't averse to releasing Oculus Rift on Xbox One, CEO Brendan Iribe has told OXM - as far as he's concerned, the more companies get involved with virtual or augmented reality, the better. Iribe is worried, however, that lengthy console lifecycles won't allow for the rapid iteration and innovation he expects VR to undergo in the next few years.... read more

Oculus Rift boss would "love" to release on Xbox One, but wo

Postby Maximus T » 11 Jul 2013, 15:57

Anyone care to explain the key differences between augmented reality and associated devices compared to virtual reality and associated devices?
This signature is so amazing, you get a +1 morale boost just for reading it.
Join the OXM Gamerscore league on True Achievements!Click here!
Maximus T 71

Re: Oculus Rift boss would "love" to release on Xbox One, bu

Postby OXM ETboy » 11 Jul 2013, 16:02

Augmented is where you're fundamentally looking at the real world, but with stuff imposed on top of it (e.g. Facebook notifications). Virtual reality is where you're running around in a fully simulated world.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby CunningSmile » 11 Jul 2013, 16:09

OXM ETboy wrote:Augmented is where you're fundamentally looking at the real world, but with stuff imposed on top of it (e.g. Facebook notifications). Virtual reality is where you're running around in a fully simulated world.

And just for the sake of completeness Actual Reality is that over rated thing we are all trying to avoid :lol:
"Jar Jar, you're a genius"
CunningSmile 74
OXM Moderator

Postby Maximus T » 11 Jul 2013, 16:10

OXM ETboy wrote:Augmented is where you're fundamentally looking at the real world, but with stuff imposed on top of it (e.g. Facebook notifications). Virtual reality is where you're running around in a fully simulated world.

Nifty, so iloomiroom would be an example of AR, whilst the matrix is VR, got it.
This signature is so amazing, you get a +1 morale boost just for reading it.
Join the OXM Gamerscore league on True Achievements!Click here!
Maximus T 71

Postby InitialD » 11 Jul 2013, 17:17

Maximus T wrote:

Nifty, so iloomiroom would be an example of AR, whilst the matrix is VR, got it.

Great example of augmented reality are things like HUD's in modern fighter aircraft and other military hardware in tanks etc. Also Sat Nav's and night vision to name a few things. Things that enhance or assist the user in real time that are generated by a computer in essence..

And yea.. VR is just a computer-simulated environment completely.
OXM resident party pooper

"This Xbox lifestyle can't surely be healthy.."
InitialD 14

Postby shaolin » 11 Jul 2013, 21:41

Iribe and Luckey -

You really need to think about the next gen consoles and the benefit of using the Rift on dedicated hardware. The same experience for every user.

It will not be so for the general PC gamer, as the 1080p experience may be very laggy on a majority of systems. That is why the PC gaming sector is so far less than the console sector. I'm a PC gamer myself, but I worry about my son, my friends, my family that don't have the $2k to spend on a decent gaming machine with upgrading gpu cards every other year with costs near the thousands.

The Rift is a game VIEWER. Basically a way to experience games different than with a flat screen. Why not work on getting it compatible in some format for developers for Xbox One and PS4. Seems logical, and a step in the right direction for gaming.
shaolin 3