to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

About turn: eight franchises in drastic need of a new direct

Your comments on our articles.

Musing over the stories that have lost their way

As in any relationship, even our most beloved game franchises can end up feeling stale if they don't make an effort to keep things new and interesting. We aren't asking for Prophet to wear a racy new Nanosuit to bed every week, or for Sonic to shave his bristles, but we think the eight franchises below could do with a little bit of a shake-up - perhaps taking advantage of the capabilities of next gen platforms.... read more

Postby Baryonyx » 12 Jul 2013, 17:39

No mention of Resident Evil? Surely that is the series most in need of a reboot or a cull. Increasingly silly games which pander to the brainless COD generation, a ridiculous plot which became increasingly entangled in it's own lore (and often having the canon revised as time went on). It's a household name, which is probably the only thing that saw the execrable RE6 sell at all.
Excalipoor
Baryonyx 41

Postby Metalrodent » 12 Jul 2013, 17:50

I'd say F.E.A.R

The 1st was a seriously tense shooter with more the enough scares and moments to ruin anyones sleep, 2 changed it to more gore shock and 3, well F3AR had basically the same problems as Dead Space 3, it shifted all the focus onto gunplay, with some horror elements thrown in for good measure but very little purpose. Was a decent shooter, but not a FEAR game.

More to the point we need to get back to Alma, 1 was the tragic tail of her upbringing, and 2 added to that (even if it did ruin any sympathy for her by having her fancy and then rape you). Whereas 3 threw her into the background as a poorly disguised final objective to rescue, and replaced her brand of horror (read: every asian horror ever, but still effective) with a generic looking monster (they'd clearly been playing Dead Space) that occasionally leapt out.

A good basic shooter with the trademark slowmo and aggressive ai combined with long stretches of tension and jumps is what made the first so memorable, and is what it needs again I think.
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 71

Re: About turn: eight franchises in drastic need of a new di

Postby Rewave Acid » 12 Jul 2013, 18:16

Regarding Bioshock: Infinite,

"Serious storyline flaw aside..."

I'm not the biggest Bioshock fanboy in the world but even I think that's a bit harsh! Can you explain these flaws and their severity? It seemed pretty well put together to me at the time, if a bit confusing to my slow brain :roll:
Rewave Acid 30

Postby LeprechaunsWOOD » 12 Jul 2013, 18:46

As a franchise I believe Halo must and will need to target/move in a new direction. The story arc is finely tuned and that's cool oversight is important when drafting such a detailed narrative. The Halo Multiplayer is another beast altogether, the recent addition of Spartan ops in episodic dlc was welcome, as it innovated a game that had not changed its formula drastically since Halo 2. Halo 5 or Xbox One Halo needs multiplayer to rival its peers. Massive land and space battles that can have 64 player online capability with 60 FPS and multiple Space/Land/Air combat is essential as SW Battlefront most likely will have these features. Even most of this is achievable in BF4 so good luck 343. My 2p's worth anyway. :x Now I wait for a assasination from behind.
LeprechaunsWOOD 30

Postby msbhvn » 12 Jul 2013, 19:02

I think it's telling that the first three of these are EA franchises. It's also telling that all three of them started with such promise, only to descend into mediocrity.

Mass Effect's two sequels only succeeded because the amazing universe Drew Karpyshyn created outshone EA's intentions to turn it into Gears of War. Even after all this time, it's still heartbreaking that the ending to the trilogy was farted out by the head writer and the PR guy just so ME3 would be out in time for the end of EA's financial year. I haven't felt like playing any of the three games since. Talk of reboots and prequels fills me with dread, seeing as most of BioWare's major talent have left the company.

Baryonyx is right that Resident Evil is a glaring omission from this list. Revelations not sucking is an accident born of the limitations of the handheld it was created for.
Massively Multiplatform since ever, fanboys!
msbhvn 69

Postby Johnbhoy69 » 12 Jul 2013, 19:09

How did Call Of Duty miss this list?
Johnbhoy69 54

Postby ninjadan8988 » 12 Jul 2013, 19:11

Johnbhoy69 wrote:How did Call Of Duty miss this list?

Because they're already rebooting it...

By adding a Dog.
ninjadan8988 55

Postby OXM Aoife » 12 Jul 2013, 19:34

You're all very right of course, Resident Evil deserves to be on the list. It was, in fact, but in all honesty I thought it was a bit of an obvious one to go for. Any RE fan and their granny would agree that the series is in need of a serious talking about... I just wonder whether it's beyond all repair now.
OXM Aoife
OXM Staff

Postby Bezza89 » 12 Jul 2013, 19:45

OXM Aoife wrote: Wilson ramblings.

When did you become official? You're blue now! I'd best behave now.
...and if you tell that to the kids of today, they wont believe you!
Bezza89 68

Postby msbhvn » 12 Jul 2013, 19:47

Bezza89 wrote:
OXM Aoife wrote: Wilson ramblings.

You're not telling me that Aoife is the guy behind the fence from Home Improvement?! :shock:
msbhvn 69

Postby Bezza89 » 12 Jul 2013, 20:00

Erm, that reference is lost on me :oops:
...and if you tell that to the kids of today, they wont believe you!
Bezza89 68

Postby msbhvn » 12 Jul 2013, 20:06

Bezza89 wrote:Erm, that reference is lost on me :oops:

Home Improvement was a sitcom in the 1990s starring Tim Allen. His neighbour, whose name was Wilson, used to give Tim advice from behind the fence between their houses and you never saw his face. He used to ramble on for a couple of minutes at a time.
msbhvn 69

Postby Metalrodent » 12 Jul 2013, 20:13

Johnbhoy69 wrote:How did Call Of Duty miss this list?

Thats a point, no mention of the fact Ghosts looks to be exactly the same

Also I noticed that MW3 was in the mags 'must buy' section which confounds me, one of the weaker game in the series
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 71

Postby Grummy » 12 Jul 2013, 20:17

Anybody else think that Sonic would benefit from the same 2D manipulation gameplay that Fez uses? I'm not saying it needs the whole 2D world seen in 3D storyline, but it would be a cool way to flesh out the Sonic game world whilst maintaining the 2D side scrolling aspect.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 66
OXM Moderator

Postby CR33D » 12 Jul 2013, 20:28

MW3 was my favorite out of all of them, (Only one i played over LIVE though) The story in MW3 was my favorite but it didn't add anything new, I only brought it for Soap and Price and now they are gone. :(

I don't understand why people say ghosts is the same. They added maps to interact with, Character creation, The new Co-op mode (if not spec ops) And moving Fish!!! :lol: The story looks the same but most people buy CoD for the multiplayer....

I'm going towards Titalfall more though.

Cum divites paupermen qui bellum gerunt suus moriatur...
CR33D 28

Next